Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

fuel pump assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pump assembly

So hears my problem. my 86 runner has rusted out fuel lines going in to the pump assembly. So my question is does any one know of a good place to get the assembly? i can get it from the dealer for like $230. the pump kinda ridiculous to charge that much. didn't know if any one has found one for cheaper online some where or what not. any help or ideas would be great.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I went through the same thing a few years back and ended up getting it from the dealer but only paying like fifty bucks for it. It's called the fuel pump sending unit and if you find one at a junk yard or used it's probably gonna have the same probs. within a few years. Try a different dealer or a toyota online parts dealer. That price seems really high to me. Wile you havce the tank dropped for the repair make sure and check for hole in the tank itself. I ended up replacing every thing from the tank to the engine do to rust and weakness throughout the system. It's better now while you have it out to find the problem later and have a worse situation later.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:09 AM

Thanks man. I called the dealership around here and they keep telling me it's $160. Where did you get yours? I wonder if I could have it shipped here.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I purchased mine here in st. louis at ackerman toyota. I have a pretty good discount but i'm sure if you look around you could get it for around a hundred bucks. Even at a hundred it sounds steep but better than 230.00. You never know though you might be able to find a good one at a junkyard i'm just picky when it came to my fuel system since i did the repair in the dead of winter. Gas is really stinking cold when it's in the teens and running down your arm. That motivated me to go with all new parts. Get some fuel line wrenches before you start it makes it easier.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:51 PM

yea i hear that. i got all the tools that's what i do for a living but i couldn't believe that they want 160 for it. idk the deal is calling a fuel pump hanger. idk at this point i'm thinking fuel cell hahaha. thanks for the help tho
Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 PM

re: fuel pump assembly

I am having the same problem. I recently dropped my tank and lifted my bed off to fix some frame rot behind the tank. I ended up replacing a bunch of fuel and brake lines. I found my tank full of mud because the overflow line had rotted off the filler hose and let just about anything and everything into my tank. I thought the sending unit or hanger or whatever the hell it's called would be ok. Once I pressurized the system I found the tweaking of my main fuel line had caused some pinhole leaks right at the top of the hanger-ma-jig. I can not find one anywhere besides the dealer. Please let me know if you have any luck and where, and I will extend the same courtesy to you. As of now, it looks like I am going to have to braze new lines into the old unit.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:02 PM

I'm always so jealous of people who have welding skills.

I tried everybody I could to get a fuel pump bracket but the dealer was the only source I could find new ($300 cdn dollars). The mechanic that did it had some secret source for a used one. I dunno, my only warning against that is make sure if you do go that route (wrecker) that it'll be worth you're while to put it in. Apparently it's a common problem so used brackets in good condition don't hang around long (pardon the pun). The other bit of info that would have helped me greatly is your gas tank is matched to your chassis # under the hood middle of the firewall. My truck actually had 3 different tanks and therefore 3 different fuel pump brackets which made going to the wrecker extra difficult. (I Assume the different tanks were long box, short box and ? )

Good luck though.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:41 PM

Just in case you don't know, you don't have to drop the tank to access the fuel pump. The 4runners have a hatch under the rear passenger seat which allows access to the fuel pump, just fold the seat forward and remove 3 or 4 screws... I did the fuel pump in my 4runner a few months ago, took me about 30 mins.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:20 AM

yea well i called one of the parts guys that we use at work and he told me the part is deal only. thanks western about where the tank info is.the truck only has 170,000 on it and had one owner and i know the guy and he would never put a tank in anything lol. thanks for the help guys. i will let you know if i found it any where else
Old 03-08-2010, 02:21 AM

you can find them on ebay. but there like 30 bucks cheaper idk what the shipping was
Old 03-08-2010, 08:27 AM

re: stupid fuel pump assembly.

starting to sound like I am gonna have to braze new lines into the old one. I will post pics, if it will help anyone.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 AM

there were 2 differnt kinda of fuel pump hangers for the 4runner. 2 different size tanks but you can use both hangers one is just a little longer then the other. but you can cut it and shortin it about 2in and its fine i just got a new one from the dealer it was like 150$. I dont think i would even pay for a used one its just going to go bad in a few years.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:04 AM

I am looking for one too, I found this place. The metal lines coming out are so rusted I know as soon as I twist the rubber the metal will break. I sent an email just to today, so I will let everyone know what I find out. They can, if they don't have the one in stock, rebuild the one you have. No idea of the price, yet.

http://www.tristarrradiator.com/Cont...tact%20Us.html

ph# 1-800-216-4940

email mailadmin@tristarrradiator.com
Old 03-20-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Yes this is a all to common problem I have bought 3 of these from the dealer it is cheaper for me in the long run.. as I like my local Toyota parts people I don`t mind paying the price.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 AM

I am surprised to hear from these guys on a Sunday. Here is a copy of the email I received.

I am sorry but we do not have a unit for your Toyota new or rebuilt. We can offer to rebuild your unit for you. Our normal turn around time is 2-3 days. Most units will cost between $75.00 to $150.00 plus any parts if needed. Units are normally shipped to us using UPS or Priority Mail. If you decided to have your unit rebuilt by us please follow this link back to our homepage www.tristarrradiator.com . On the top tool bar all the way on the right click on the Work Order tab. Please print this page, fill in the information and include it in the box with your unit. If you would like an estimate before we start any work please include that also and we will call you first. Once the job is complete we will give you a call with the total and return shipping options. At this time most people pay with a Master card or Visa. We are UPS shippers ourselves so if you request we can supply you with the return tracking number. All work is warranted. I hope this helps and we will wait to hear from you.
Thank You,
That Sending Unit Guy!
Dan O'Hora
A Division of Tri-Starr Radiator, LLC

I am going to check with my local Toy dealer and see what they have price wise and go from there. I am wondering if there is a difference between what people are calling a sending unit and what some are calling a fuel pump bracket or fuel pump assembly? Some other places are calling the sending unit as the fuel gauge float and assembly.

Also anyone found anything online? I have looked all over and can only find fuel pumps.

Man, what a pain in the ass, I just want to get to the fuel screen to replace or clean it.