Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

ECM Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECM Problem

Hi - I'm new here and would appreciate any help you guys could offer.

I have an 88 4 runner manual trans with a 22re. It's a California emissions car if that matters.

It has 198K on it and this week it started acting really strange. When I accelerate in 1st or 2nd (mid RPM range), the truck seems to lose power and then surge forward after a few seconds. It also stalled once. It's intermittent and at higher RPMs it doesn't happen (or is much less noticeable). I tried to diagnose it myself but it quickly became too complex and I took it to a trusted mechanic. Very honest guys.

Anyway, they replaced the mass airflow box b/c they said it was fried and they also replaced the O2 sensor since it was also dead. They said the cat is 1/2 blocked and could be replaced but I asked them to hold off on that for now since it didn't sound like it was the main cause of this problem.

Then they assessed the computer (btw - no idiot lights are on) and said the ECM is bad. The part # is 89661-35130 (the one that is dead), and I want to know what other part#s (if any) would fit. I think I found a replacement on epay for $60, but I'm waiting to hear the part # from the seller.

Any ideas? Any comments on alternate part #s that would work?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It sounds to me like the shop working on your 4Runner don`t have a clue what there doing, so there throwing parts it and making you believe that it was this part or that part, but so far the parts that they have replaced havn`t solved the problem. The first place to start with your problem is to give the truck a complete tune up, plugs, plug wires, cap/rotor and most important replace the fuel filter. One of the most important things thats over looked on our trucks is the fuel filter. Replacing the 02 sensor was a good idea if it was the original because they do wear out over time, also the same goes for tha cat, they also wear out or plug up with lots of miles on them. Did they test the AFM to see if it was really bad or did they just replace it ?, and the computer, yes it can go bad but it not common for it to happen. So its your dime, but i would keep a watch over these guys because it sounds like they don`t have a clue as to what there doing.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:02 PM

I was thinking the same thing - what are the odds that all these parts 'broke' at the same time. I think it's one problem and they are just finding 'worn out' parts due to the age and mileage, but may not actually be related to the problems.

I went over there this afternoon and asked the guy about it and his response was that if the ECM is dead, it could have fried the mass air box and the O2 sensor. If it ran lean that could clog up the cat (not sure I buy this logic since the problem just came up 3 days ago).

He said his toyota guy has put a lot of time into it and "is 100% sure" it's the ECM...I guess we'll see. He is on the hunt for a junkyard part b/c he can't find one from any supplier.

I still have faith in the mechanic - he has only charged me 1 hr of labor so far for all the work, so I don't think he's intentionally screwing me...

Any other thoughts from the community are much appreciated! I love this truck and want to see her back on the road!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:54 PM

It would be some pretty big odds that all of those parts went bad at once, in fact i don`t by it my self. How is the mechanic testing the computer to determin that its bad ?.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:07 PM

He said they tested the ECM input and output and the output was nothing. Not sure if this makes sense cuz I'm not sure how the computer works.

To answer your earlier question about the airbox he said they tested it and it was bad and after replacing it there was an improvement, but the problem was not completely fixed.

I also asked him about the EGR valve cuz I saw on this forum that it can be the cause of a problem like this, but he said it tested fine.

He also mentioned that the fuel filter looked original (same color as the intake). I told him to hold off on this part too since it seems like the ECM is at fault. Once I know which parts need to be replaced (cat, fuel filter), I can do them myself with the Factory Service manual, but I'm not paying this guy labor charges to swap out parts that are not related to this particular issue. I'll do them myself in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your thoughts myyota!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:22 PM

If the fuel filter looks original, then it probably is, replace it as soon as you can, 23 years of service for a fuel filter is an extremely long time, so you are way past due for a new one. Ok, if you feel that the shop is treating you fair and there not trying to screw you over by replacing all of those parts, then stay with them and they will eventually figure out what the problem is. Good Luck.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:18 PM

Thanks for these tips - I'll try out the TPS adjustment if the ECU swap does not fix it. I'm about ready to take the truck back home and try some of these tests before continuing the "trial and error method for cash" the mechanic is using. I'll let you guys know what works in case anyone else has the same issues.

Cheers!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:12 PM

So I got the truck back yesterday with a new Mass airbox, O2 sensor and ECM (new from the junkyard for $125) and it works great - I guess this is one of the rare times that it actually is the ECM.

Thanks for all the insight guys and it looks like my next project is a new fuel filter!