Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Coolant Information

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Information

I just got done reading some topics on this site about coolant and there is ALOT of misconception about the topic of coolant in Toyota vehicles.

One of the big ones is the "DEX-COOL" will eat up your engine... NOT true. Alot of the problems GM vehicles had that the Dex-cool got blamed for was actually an intake gasket problem 3100-3400 V6 which would contaminate the cooling system with hydrocarbons along with heat. Dex-cool is actually one of the best coolants to run in your vehicle. But like with all coolants in the real world should be changed on regular basis (50k miles). The only way ANY coolant can 100% achieve its 100k/5yr life is if the vehicle was driven in its optimal situation, meaning certain climate, temperature, driving habit, no leaks, etc..

Those who say Dex-cool will eat up your engine or sludge up your engine.. Well all I can say is why have I not seen this issue in my 1991 Toyota Pickup 4WD or my 1994 Toyota Pickup 2WD in the past 10 years(both filled with Dex-cool after I flushed the system when I purchased these two)? Better yet, why do my coolant passages and radiator maintain its fresh clear and clean surface?

Bottom line is you need to know the content of the coolant you are going to use in your vehicle, make sure if you have the correct type and stick with it, change it on a regular schedule and DONT USE TAP WATER!!!

Tap water is another reason why coolant goes bad. Tap water contains chemicals and minerals that are not supposed to be in your coolant. Calcium, fluoride, chlorine, magnesium, etc. Couple of these items will slowly build up in your radiator and or heater core, the others will change the PH level in the coolant and with chemical reaction induced by heat will attack components.

DONT use anti leak pellets or radiator stop leak... Not that they dont work but I have had the opportunity to replace and recycle alot of radiators because of this alone..

Hope this helps out with those who were still wondering or wanted more info on coolant.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ngk22r
Bottom line is you need to know the content of the coolant you are going to use in your vehicle, make sure if you have the correct type and stick with it, change it on a regular schedule and DONT USE TAP WATER!!!
Agreed on the not using tap water.....distilled water only.

AFAIK, my owners manual says nothing about Dex-Cool being the correct type so I will not use it. Only Toyota Red or Pink for me and my Toyota rigs.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Agreed on the not using tap water.....distilled water only.

AFAIK, my owners manual says nothing about Dex-Cool being the correct type so I will not use it. Only Toyota Red or Pink for me and my Toyota rigs.
Toyota will only promote Toyota brand products, just as GM promotes Dex-cool, just as Honda promotes the use of Honda Genuine coolant.

So our manuals actually says to use Toyota genuine OR equivalent.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...it's just that I've never been convinced there is an "or equivalent" to the Toyota chemistry. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM

Changed a water pump on an 04 escalade 80k miles still with the factory dex cool in it...engine and water pump passages looked spotless.

Have you done a comparison of the ingredients between toyota pink/red and dex cool?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
...it's just that I've never been convinced there is an "or equivalent" to the Toyota chemistry. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't.
You cant go wrong with Toyota coolant!