Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

cheap truck challenge

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheap truck challenge

i'm trying to build a 92 4runner for under 1000.00 dollors i will try to post picks of the build as i go so far this is what i got i payed 450.00 for the truck i had to replace the compleate wireing harness that only set be back 75.00 my goal is to set this thing on 35's with an sas and elimanate the four link and go with leafs i will try to make regular posts as i go along to let any body whos interested in following along and maybe helping when i run into problems with some advice
Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
advice: spell check, search engine.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by foryota89
i'm trying to build a 92 4runner for under 1000.00 dollors i will try to post picks of the build as i go so far this is what i got i payed 450.00 for the truck i had to replace the compleate wireing harness that only set be back 75.00 my goal is to set this thing on 35's with an sas and elimanate the four link and go with leafs i will try to make regular posts as i go along to let any body whos interested in following along and maybe helping when i run into problems with some advice
Hey man, I love the idea, let's see if you can do it.

Matt16's right though, if you don't put periods at the ends of your sentences it's way too hard to read, and people won't follow along.

Also you didn't say what engine, transmission or # wheels driven you have, or post pics.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, you're going to buy a SAS kit, a solid axle, and a set of 35's with the remaining $475?

Let us know how that works out for you.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:36 PM

^LOL

You're not leaving yourself anywhere near enough $$ unless you use the $10 to buy a balaclava and a fake plastic 9mm from Walmart and the remaining $465 for bail after being caught robbing Trailgear.

But put in 2 lockers and tires and you'll be able to do more than more lifted trucks with big tires.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:10 AM

well i already have the tires and wheels and the straight axle with a crossover kit mabe by foster fab. my brother has a buch of parts he's collected over the years. the truck is gonna have a 3.0 and a five speed. thanks to some friends who own a wrecking yard. if the 3.0 dont work out well there goes my 1000.00 dollor budget. but i'll go with a v-8 out of a lexus.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:40 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Cutting fenders is free.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:37 AM

no cutting needed i'll pull the 3 in BL of of my wrecked toy for a little extra clearance.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's going to be too tall with an SAS and a 3" body lift.....you WILL roll it...i PROMISE you
Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i like the attitude..i really do...but something this extensive is not really feasible while being 100% SAFE lol

i mean that by using QUALITY parts...although i know nothing of Foster Fab..so post up about em if they're cheap
Old 04-27-2010, 01:03 AM

well sorry i haven't been posting lately. haven't made much more progress still haveing trouble finding the right injectors. hopefully if the weather cooperates i might be able to hear it run this weekend. more to come in the next few days should have some pics up by the end of the week.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:27 AM

I think this is the first time "cheep/cheap" and "Lexus V8" (UZ-FE) were ever mentioned in the same thread

I don't mean to be stomping down your ambitions, but the truth of the matter is that building a truck and "cheap" and not really concepts that mesh. Building trucks is expensive. Period. Learning how to drive a truck well is cheaper (gas money) and will probably get you as far as building a truck and not having the driving experience necessary to drive it well. I think one locker some decent tires and a lot of practice will put you farther ahead. Then, when you have the money, build a rig properly and you'll walk all over everything on the trail.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:19 PM

has everyone not realized i have been collecting parts for toyotas since i got my first one. most of the money spent so far is on stuff i dont have this just makes me wanna shove this truck in your face and laugh when its done. money is not everything. i never said i was going to stick a lexus v-8 in this truck for under a grand. if you read properly i said if my 3.0 doesnt work out there goes my buget of a grand. i have a brother with a 87 4runner sas with 39.5 inch iroks its not gonna be to tall and i wont roll it. i had an 89 pickup with a 3in BL and 35's no suspension lift at all except for add-a-leafs and it was ifs. i never stuffed a tire in to the fenders or anything like that and i could go 99% of the time where everyome else went with bigger tires than mine. yes i realalize 4runners are a bit more top heavy than the trucks due to the differance in the center of gravity. but come on have some faith just because you might not be able to build this doesnt mean someone else wont. between me and my brother we have at least 40years of experiance building and working on toyotas. so a little less criticism and a litlle more way to go lets see how it turns out. what this about learning how to drive bulls**t. i've been driving since i could reach the pedals. so lets just take it easy on all the negative stuff and focus on the positive. how would you like it if someone told you you cant build your truck beacuse it would not be safe or it would be too tall. or you dont know how to drive.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by foryota89
has everyone not realized i have been collecting parts for toyotas since i got my first one. most of the money spent so far is on stuff i dont have this just makes me wanna shove this truck in your face and laugh when its done. money is not everything. i never said i was going to stick a lexus v-8 in this truck for under a grand. if you read properly i said if my 3.0 doesnt work out there goes my buget of a grand. i have a brother with a 87 4runner sas with 39.5 inch iroks its not gonna be to tall and i wont roll it. i had an 89 pickup with a 3in BL and 35's no suspension lift at all except for add-a-leafs and it was ifs. i never stuffed a tire in to the fenders or anything like that and i could go 99% of the time where everyome else went with bigger tires than mine. yes i realalize 4runners are a bit more top heavy than the trucks due to the differance in the center of gravity. but come on have some faith just because you might not be able to build this doesnt mean someone else wont. between me and my brother we have at least 40years of experiance building and working on toyotas. so a little less criticism and a litlle more way to go lets see how it turns out. what this about learning how to drive bulls**t. i've been driving since i could reach the pedals. so lets just take it easy on all the negative stuff and focus on the positive. how would you like it if someone told you you cant build your truck beacuse it would not be safe or it would be too tall. or you dont know how to drive.

i think people would be a little less harsh if you gave a list of what you have and what your plans are. or just not bother and prove them wrong when your done. if its a typical solid axle swap that nets you like 7 inches of suspension lift with a 3 inch body and its gonna be used as a rock crawler not a trail machine itd be a little tall for my liking but to each their own i have no right to correct anybody. ill be curious to see your progress and the direction you go with it and i like te fact that you thought ahead and started collecting parts. ill try and even out the negativity by saying good luck. give the budgeted at time being people some hope man
Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good luck dude sounds like a cool idea i know that with a stock 4runner no parts and only 400 bucks it would be almost impossible so i see were everyone is coming from lol. So maybe like the guy above said post up what you have already and what you need? o and don't forget pics because nothing happened without pics haha ps i wouldn't do the BL ether, just too high in almost everyone's opinion on YT lol but you don't have to listen to us if you don't want too and i hope you prove me and everyone wrong
Old 04-27-2010, 05:49 PM

man, I love this idea, I tried to enter it with my '86 but couldn't afford the tires to qualify. plus I told them winches are for pussies and I'm a raging alcoholic... they respectfully declined.. but I did wheel with one of them at the TDS run. trying to follow the ultimate super duty is kinda hard in a stock '86 4runner.

but I have done this a bit and have a few pointers for you... WELD YOUR SPIDERS!!! super cheap and will double your off road ability..
Old 04-27-2010, 05:56 PM

although body lift and budget have been used many times.if he already has an axle and is confident in his fabrication and what not and has access to a scrap yard of steel which some people do his solid axle swap could net him almost any height for cheap leaving him only in need of springs and shocks and if he did his homework he could find springs off a different vehicle to use. if the right resources are had a capable rig could be made pretty cheap its just that many people dont have the access of others which paying out the ass for mc and trail gear stuff. if your a good fabricator with lots of friends in high in high places i think he'll be fine and if he gets it done he'll know pretty quick if its too high and can correct as he goes. when the time comes and i do my sas i know it wont be perfect at first its a project and will take critiquing. maybe his 3 inch body lift fits right into his plan. benefit of the doubt i guess. ive seen rigs made cheap by some highly skilled people none of which happened to be a yota but if anything thatd make it even easier seeing as how these things are pretty easy to work on. if i currently had access to a surplus of tools metal and fabrication equipment im confident that after a few tries i could sas my truck pretty cheap with proper planning but again im an 18 year old saying my opinion on a site filled with people who have been there and done that. but my .02 is that a "cheap truck" is definitely feasible it may not be rock ready and worth a fe grand but for hittin the trails i think it can be done. but i guess im optimistic
Old 04-27-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
First off guys.
You don't HAVE to buy a SAS kit. How do you think people did it in the 90's? there were no SAS Kits, you made a bracket and welded it to the frame. Then you setup your leafs and shackles..
Second off.
If he already has an axle, and is pretty confident in his weld skills hes way ahead of the game already.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet idea, especially if you have all of the parts. I think part of the reason they might have suggested trying to learn how the truck works on the trail is cuz in your first post you sounded a bit like a newb. we weren't able to decipher from what you said whether or not you knew what you were talking about. we also didn't realize that you had the spare parts lying around. thats all I can think of. Anyway, good luck man, hope it all works out for you.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:41 PM

did someone actually say you'll roll the truck with a 3 inch BL....sorry but a body lift doesn't change your center of gravity all it does is allows for more tire clearance.

Quick Reply: cheap truck challenge