Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Bump stop need to shut up !

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering stops need to shut up !

Hey Guys, first off, sorry if this has already been coverd in a previouse thread but i could find any
Whenever i turn at any hard angle my bump stops have a great time, they crack, clunk, pop, and screach, its horrible especially when im in the school carpark and everyone is looking.
so is there anyway to stop these darn things from doing this ?
I was thinking about making a pot of molten Hard plastic and then dipping the ends of the stops into it and letting it set.
What you guys think ?
Many thanks

Last edited by 1993hiluxsr5; 10-08-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
you sure it's your bump stops, cus if your on flat pavement there is no reason why your bump stops should be hitting, sounds more like the steering stops. Possibly a ball joint. Are your hubs locked? It could also be the cv's if their locked. Unless you don't have locking hubs then it can still be your cv's because they turn 100% of the time if you have ADD.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
you sure it's your bump stops, cus if your on flat pavement there is no reason why your bump stops should be hitting, sounds more like the steering stops. Possibly a ball joint. Are your hubs locked? It could also be the cv's if their locked. Unless you don't have locking hubs then it can still be your cv's because they turn 100% of the time if you have ADD.
Yeah im pretty sure its the bump stops, because when on perfectly level ground and turning slowly they dont do it, its only when the car rocks, or leans and the front suspension moves up and down against the stops, plus if this kind of noise came fron my CV's then im pretty sure they wouldnt be attached
And yes i have a ADD and is not stuck in 4wd
Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 PM

doesn't need to be stuck, the axles turn 100% of the time, the driveshaft doesn't. I'd be willing to bet your CV's are shot. do you have any idea how big of a pot hole you have to hit to hit your bump stops? look at the IFS flex thread and go see for yourself. There was just a recent thread on the steering stops on here, search for it you might have the same symptoms as him as well. it doesn't take alot for those stops to get noisy, there is usually rubber stops in the steering stops but they deteriorate and fall off, most people will just grease them up and not replace the rubber.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:55 PM

doesn't need to be stuck, the axles turn 100% of the time, the driveshaft doesn't. I'd be willing to bet your CV's are shot. do you have any idea how big of a pot hole you have to hit to hit your bump stops? look at the IFS flex thread and go see for yourself. There was just a recent thread on the steering stops on here, search for it you might have the same symptoms as him as well. it doesn't take alot for those stops to get noisy, there is usually rubber stops in the steering stops but they deteriorate and fall off, most people will just grease them up and not replace the rubber.
Omg, sorry i was told by a fellow yotatech'er that they were called "Bump stops" but now i see that they are my "Steering stops", sorry about this.
Im talking about the small dome shaped peices that stop the wheels from turning to far.
My bad, thats probly why i couldnt find anything in the search
and yes you are right, my small plastic caps had fallen off and thats why they make the noise.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:56 PM

grease em up, not sure if dealership makes replacements for them.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:58 PM

grease em up, not sure if dealership makes replacements for them.
Yeah sorry about that lil mix up , ive tried greasing them before but it never really lasts more than a day that why i wanted to try the molten plastic trick , ill give it a go anyway and see what happens, ill try get some pics if it works.
Thanks for clearing that up for me
Old 10-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
thats a pretty normal sound. Not sure of the name, but its not the bump stop.

For lack of a better term, I would call it a "steering stop" There are bolts that stick out from the steering knuckle where the knuckle arm attaches. They came with plastic caps on them that either wear through or fall off, then you are metal on metal when steering is at full crank. I have a terrible pick, but should be good enough for you to reference and go check out your own rig.

So either find a new plastic cap, throw a little grease on it, or learn to turn wide so it never gets to metal on metal. I chose turn wide, I hardly ever hear it.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/suspensionandaxle/15componen.pdf

right side of the sheet find the steering knuckle, look at the bottom you will see the bolt I am talking about.

And a pic under my 4Runner

The bolt is in the middle and the rounded piece of metal it makes contact with at full steer to one side and gives you the terrible sound.

dangit. By the time I went out, got a pic, loaded it, found the page from the fsm and put it all together, you 2 got it all figured out. oh well, now there is a pic for reference.

Last edited by kiyobrown; 10-08-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lmao yea

would a BETTER grease work?

like maybe Graphite? since it's basically THE BEST dry lubricant?
Old 10-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Hey thanks for the picture, helped me figure out what to do. .
I tried making my own plastic covers. It didn't work very well.
So I am going to try and come up with something else, I just don't know what yet. :/.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I know here in the US at ACE hardware they have misc. pieces of hardware and even weird little things. Would probably have something similar to that steering stop rubber. Try hitting up a hardware shop down there and see if they have anything similar.

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
I know here in the US at ACE hardware they have misc. pieces of hardware and even weird little things. Would probably have something similar to that steering stop rubber. Try hitting up a hardware shop down there and see if they have anything similar.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info ill have a look next time im in supercheapauto
Old 10-09-2010, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im thinkin its' your swaybar bushings up on the frame. This is a common noise for IFS trucks. A little noise every once in a while never hurts.

If you need more detail let me know. Mine pop and squeek hard. 215,xxx mile on original bushings, it's bound to happen.

Last edited by Ron's 85; 10-09-2010 at 06:34 AM.