Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

bleeding the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bleeding the brakes

i finished replacing the seal on the diff carrier and now ready to bleed the brakes and get it all back together (thanks to everyone who helped me with my diff Do i need to bleed all the brakes or just the rear? thanks...
Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Probly just the rear but it can't hurt to go all the way around
Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Instead of multiple threads asking simple, commonly asked questions, try searching a little first. Or post in newb tech.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BMcEL
Instead of multiple threads asking simple, commonly asked questions, try searching a little first. Or post in newb tech.
i have. ive looked in my manual, online,forums but i ask to so i can find a more specific answer instead of multiple on different vehicles. i like to get different opinions
Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 AM

He's in the newbie tech area just chill out give an opinion or keep quiet telling him to search does no good. If this messed up your day you need a life
Old 04-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by stngllhm
He's in the newbie tech area just chill out give an opinion or keep quiet telling him to search does no good. If this messed up your day you need a life
*she* i am just learning about my truck and so i will ask alot of questions along with research...
Old 04-20-2012, 11:29 AM

He's in the newbie tech area just chill out give an opinion or keep quiet telling him to search does no good.
Mods moved it to newb tech where it belongs.

Last edited by BMcEL; 04-20-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 AM

Mods moved it to newb tech where it belongs.

wow, really? what was the big deal with where it was? you know,its your choice whether you reply or not....
Old 04-20-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by cap85
*she* i am just learning about my truck and so i will ask alot of questions along with research...
I do apologise good luck and ask lots of questions
Old 04-20-2012, 11:42 AM

I do apologise good luck and ask lots of questions
thanks,i will!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rule 15
If you are a chronic "non-searcher" or if you feel the need to mouth off to either the membership or staff for telling you to search, your stay here will be short-lived.
People get tired of seeing the same questions asked over and over...that's what newb tech is for.

Originally Posted by Newbie Forum Rules
No member in the Newbie Forum will be told to search. If you want to know how to search, read the FAQ.
If you don't want to be told to search, post in newb tech. Simple as that. I'm out.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:58 AM

i didn't mean to annoy anyone or ask too many questions..i also didnt realize there was a newbie section. i just found the section for my truck. now, i know. all is good.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:42 PM

You didn't do anything wrong, it's just 'protocol', and now you know! I've done the same a few times ;o) Good luck with the bleed, they can be a little rough at first but you'll get the hang of it. I'd do all FIVE (LSPV too, don't forget that one!). Soak the bleeders with PB for a while first, if you can, to assure you won't break anything off if they're frozen...
Old 04-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by GuitarMike
You didn't do anything wrong, it's just 'protocol', and now you know! I've done the same a few times ;o) Good luck with the bleed, they can be a little rough at first but you'll get the hang of it. I'd do all FIVE (LSPV too, don't forget that one!). Soak the bleeders with PB for a while first, if you can, to assure you won't break anything off if they're frozen...
if i choose to just drain the rear brakes, do i still need to do anything with the lspv?i couldnt really find anything about it
Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM

Usually you go farthest away from the MC and work towards it....RR, LR, LSPV, RF, LF. BUT - many say to do the LSPV last. I've drained my system so low I had to bench bleed the master....and ended up going round and round, until I got the hang of it. After doing it 4 separate times for other repairs, it becomes almost 2nd nature, LOL.

So, I suggest you maybe do LSPV quickly, blow air out until you get a clean stream, then RR, LR, and back to LSPV. That way, you know you have fluid from front to LSPV that's clean. It has a return line to the front, tho....so, after you get the rears done, don't be surprised if you need to do the front, too. Take your time, don't be afraid to REALLY bleed them, and you'll know by the feel of the pedal when you go to test drive the truck (not on the road at first!).
You DID soak the bleeders in PB first, right? ;o)
Old 04-22-2012, 04:21 PM

I have a brake bleeding question, maybe this is a good place to post it.
I have a 1994 4wd SR5. When I open the bleeder plugs and pump the brake pedal I only get a tiny bit of fluid coming out- pumping them a dozen times gives me less than an ounce of fluid. The plugs are not clogged ( I can blow through them).
What should I check next?
Thanks
Two-Noodles
Old 04-22-2012, 04:26 PM

hmmm, not sure about that. i still havent drained mine yet.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by GuitarMike
Usually you go farthest away from the MC and work towards it....RR, LR, LSPV, RF, LF. BUT - many say to do the LSPV last. I've drained my system so low I had to bench bleed the master....and ended up going round and round, until I got the hang of it. After doing it 4 separate times for other repairs, it becomes almost 2nd nature, LOL.

So, I suggest you maybe do LSPV quickly, blow air out until you get a clean stream, then RR, LR, and back to LSPV. That way, you know you have fluid from front to LSPV that's clean. It has a return line to the front, tho....so, after you get the rears done, don't be surprised if you need to do the front, too. Take your time, don't be afraid to REALLY bleed them, and you'll know by the feel of the pedal when you go to test drive the truck (not on the road at first!).
You DID soak the bleeders in PB first, right? ;o)
alright, i did soak them but havent drained them yet...ran into some stuff i had to do first. i will let you know how it goes. thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:00 AM

No problem...don't let the master cylinder go dry! Or you'll have to bench bleed it (remove it from truck). Top it off as you go....

Did you DL the FSM? There is a lot of good info in there.

Plus, read other threads of brake bleeding problems...I know I've asked the same question a couple of times! You'll find the whole story there. They're tricky, but you get the hang pretty quick!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:51 PM

ive been working on bleeding mine for months and still dont have them rite yet! pedal goes to about an inch from the floor and then i get a little braking action. i bleed them get a nice solid pedal up where it should be, figure im good, start the truck up hit the brakes and she goes rite to the floor. ive done them frontwards, backwards, and all different ways. even replaced the master and yes bench bled it fisrt.all new hardware in rear including cylinders.several people have played with it. same results. a lot of people seem to have the same problem and are told the same thing "just keep going youve almost got it!!" im probally gone give up and aliminate the lspv and add a manual valve to set the bias like we use on the racecars. sorry to vent on here but i just had to let that out,now i feel better!!! lol

Quick Reply: bleeding the brakes