Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Battery Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Recommendation?

Anyone have any batteries they like or recommend for a
1989 Toyota pickup truck 4x4 V6?

I've had a red top Optima since 2009 that I am pretty sure is done.
When my truck gets cold it doesn't like to turn over.
My truck has never liked it if I ever use the interior light or leave anything at all even for a minute.

Was going to stick with the Optima Redtop, but thought I'd ask if anyone like something possibly better?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:30 AM

I am a new 4Runner owner so not much personal xp with battery selection in the Yotas yet, but I have been running Optima Redtops in all of my trucks since 09'. I have one that always gets worked pretty hard stays in out in the cold and no problems. The other pickup is an electrical nightmare. It will fry and melt all components related to the ignition system and the Optima has always withstood the abuse. After the holidays when the budget permits a red top will be going into my 'new' 4Runner. That's my $.02
Old 11-29-2014, 06:40 AM

So stick with the Optima red you think?.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I think you have some issues if it has problems after leaving the lights on.

I just buy the best battery I can get local Where I work we are a InterState Battery dealer so I have been using them .

At around $100.00 a battery i am happy if I get two years.

Even though Interstate builds AGM batteries The sales people don`t care for them Maybe they last to long.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:52 AM

Well I got a good 5 years with the Optima. I liked the idea of not having acid spill all over the place..
I agree there could be other issues going on, but no one knows where to start investigating that.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:43 AM

Red face

I have never had problems with the Lead Acid batteries leaking till I blow them up.

Nor do I have problems with corrosion but I keep after things
Old 11-29-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I have 6 years on a Costco battery and counting. But corrosion problems are generally lack of maintenance. If you have bad corrosion problems try super glueing a old (copper) penny to your battery. Sacrificial metal might help reduce it or eliminate it all together. Also clean your terminals before you do it. If you start clean then its easier to stay clean.

As for optima battery's. failing after being drained from a headlight mishap. Isn't that kinda what they were designed for. At least a stereo mishap. I remember when I had my 85 and a big system in it. Everybody told me to get a red top so when I drained my battery listening to it while at the beach or something I could jump it and the battery would charge back up and be fine. I never bought one (too cheap) but that's what I was told. Probably a good sales lie.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:04 AM

If you have been happy with it overall I'd stick with it. There is certainly nothing wrong with swapping to a lead acid battery, but if your question was can anyone offer better I'm not so sure they can. Again though, I am new to Toyota so... I like the solid 800 CC amps every time regardless of the conditions. After my recent 4runner purchase I bought a brand new $132 Duralast in and the first couple of days we got 15F or below this season the vehicle had a serious hesitation and clicking at startup. Almost bad enough that a couple of times I thought I'd drained the battery. Last winter was brutally cold here. 30 days straight of 5F or below and never had a starting issue with the Redtops. These were different vehicles, but IMHO any battery that you can mount on it's side or upside down and still get quality performance out of I am all for it.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by thefishguy77
I have 6 years on a Costco battery and counting. But corrosion problems are generally lack of maintenance. If you have bad corrosion problems try super glueing a old (copper) penny to your battery. Sacrificial metal might help reduce it or eliminate it all together. Also clean your terminals before you do it. If you start clean then its easier to stay clean.

That's awesome. I might try it with my '00's Duralast which seems to be getting corrosion after a year. Where do you glue it? Just on top or near one of the posts? Only pennies made before 1984 are real copper.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:31 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
If its really bad glue one near each terminal. I just normally do one near the positive post.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:21 PM

I have had the yellow top in my CJ7 for roughly 5 years. Bought a red top for my sierra 1500 after the plant moved south. No problems so far. I really like interstate batteries and run them in our 87 yota 4x4 truck, 03' 4runner. I have heard really good things about Odyssey. Their pricey! Watch online , got my optina's for like $75 I think. Autozone, etc. runs online discount and they had a manufacture rebate.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:55 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
+ on Corrosion prevention...
I started with new battery, clean marine battery connectors and battery posts coated with silicone dielectric grease. It had been more than a year ago, and not a slightest sign of corrosion.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:42 PM

Red face

I got a bonus for a tricky bit of work.

I don`t really need another battery but I always wanted to try one of these dual use AGM batteries.

East Penn Manufacturing ( Deka Battery) is 15 miles away They make the Intimidator part # 9A34R that is the reverse terminals Toyota vehicles use.

After hearing so many stories about Optima failures I never had a battery failure other then ones caused by me.

I will have to see What I need to pay then I have friends that work there can you say employee discount.