Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

advice needed: bad alt, leaky crank seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
advice needed: bad alt, leaky crank seal

Hi all, I'm having a problem I really just need to talk it out with fellow Yota owners...

I have the two red lights on at the dash, alt and brake.

I've tested the alt in vehicle, it appears to be charging at speed (red lights do go off), but not charging at idle (lights come back on). This seems to indicate worn brushes.

So I was prepared to try replacing the alt but with p.steer I see the job requires dumping the coolant too. That means dealing with burping the system correctly, which always concerns me.

So- I pulled the skid plate and now see oil mist covering everything including the alt. It appears to be from the crank seal. The leak is not yet enough to even cause a spot on the ground. But it is a wet oil drip hanging at the bottom edge of the front eng cover.

I had the timing cover replaced only a year ago when a double row chain was installed. It was a pretty expensive job.

QUESTION: Should the crank seal have been replaced with the timing cover job? Or is that separate and not part of the usual kit?

What should I do next?
1. Replace alt, degrease everything, live with slow leak.
2. Go back to t-chain installer and have him replace alt and crank seal?

Problem here is I am broke and will be borrowing $ to get this work done so I can get the truck back on the road. Obviously i want to borrow the least but don't want to ruin a replacement alt in a few months. And I cannot do a seal job myself. Old cycle injuries make any car work really difficult for me. Id be struggling just to do the alt.

I'm just stressed about how this has snowballed and can't think straight at the moment.
Ive been saving to replace a cracked exh manifold and full exhaust, and now this comes up.
Thanks in advance for helpful guidance.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The seal goes in the oil pump if it was not leaking at the time and you were paying Labor to have this done why add more time.

The oil leak will only get worse and it could score the crank.

Oil and alternators don`t mix. Plus oil damage will void any warranty.

The Brake and charge Light is Toyota`s way off getting your attention.

Bleeding the air out of the cooling system is easy I just put a tee in the heater hose cap off while filling pushes all the air out.

It is a shame I am not closer I would be glad to do this for lunch.

It gets expensive paying to have these trucks worked on.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
If you are getting fluid on the alternator, I would check the power steering pump and hoses for leaks. Agree with wyoming that fluid and alternators dont mix. I had an alternator catch fire due to a power steering leak.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:22 PM
osv

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
what terry said... someone out here posted about power steering fluid leaking out onto the alternator, and catching fire, lol :-0

how exactly did you test the alternator? just looking at the dash lights, or the right way, with a multimeter?

i would first check the alt with a multimeter, then take that truck down to the engine bay at the car wash, and blow everything clean, including the power steering box... monitor for leaks afterwords.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:28 AM

Yes I used a meter at the battery. Checked at idle and at 2000rpm with lights and blower on. Then to confirm I went to parts store and they said no charge at idle as well.

So I took it back to last shop. He'll put in a denso alt and trace the leak. He suspects the front main, which was replaced with the new timing cover 5k miles ago. That's also 16 mos ago so no warranty there. I suspect I need the crank sleeved at the seal, based on my web research.

Truck's been gone 3days. I'll update with the resolution just to complete the thread.

Thanks guys who chimed in. Have a great mem. Weekend!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:38 PM

Wow.

So, shop that did my timing chain last year and 4k miles ago, says timing cover gasket is leaking. He won't offer any warranty since it's over a year ago. He said $1200 to do the gasket and replace the alt. I said I'll take my biz elsewhere.

Truck will sit in driveway for a month instead. I just agreed to help a buddy in another state whose girl is tossing him out of the house they bought together ten years ago. Gonna fly up Monday to help him out. Truck can wait.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:15 PM
osv

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
Wow.

So, shop that did my timing chain last year and 4k miles ago, says timing cover gasket is leaking.
i did suggest cleaning everything up at the car wash

if it's just a gasket that's not under pressure, you might be able to degrease the area and cover it with rtv.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by osv
i did suggest cleaning everything up at the car wash

if it's just a gasket that's not under pressure, you might be able to degrease the area and cover it with rtv.
Idk why you are beating that little horse, I did clean everything with an entire can of CRC Lectra motive. That had nothing to do with my dissatisfaction of the circumstances.

Why would the timing cover gasket fail in 4k miles? I was hoping he'd accept some responsibility for the job and warranty it. This was an LCE double row chain kit he installed. Since he offered no help on the leak, I chose not to do the alt there. I'll change the alt elsewhere and monitor the leak.

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 05-28-2015 at 08:33 PM.