Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

91 Pickup 3L V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Pickup 3L V6

Hey. So I have a 91 pickup 3L V6 manual. Having an intermittent no start issue. If it sits for a whole day, without my block heater plugged in, in -10 to -20 degrees C. It will not start, no crank, no starter click, nothing, but all lights and radio work. Battery is about a year old. if its colder like -25 to -30 even a boost wont start it without being hooked up for atleast 20 minutes. I do have 10w30 oil in it right now. going to switch to 5w30 this week. Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for this problem. When it does start it smells very strong of fuel, most likely due to having the key on....flooding engine. revs around 2 grand till in warms up, which is fairly normal, and drives fine after that. starts no problem in warm conditions and when It has been driven already that day. Ive also tried to start with clutch cancel button to see if its a clutch engagement issue. but it did not change anything. so ive come to conclusion, its not battery, its not clutch, and its not a fuel problem. My spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor are all a year old. Anyone got any ideas? Thanx for the help
Old 01-07-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one has a single idea? lol. Was really hoping for some kind of help, light push in the right direction. Since this post is has not happened, but it has been quite warm lately. would like to have a general idea on what to try next time this happens. I have noticed that I have to hold the key in start position longer then usual. I would suspect starter, but I replaced the contacts last spring? I would greatly appreciate any opinions from people. thanx
Old 01-07-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

When your truck sits all day and you get the no crank condition.

Just how do you get it started??

Have you ever taken a reading of the battery with your multimeter at this time.

Sounds to me like the battery is not holding a charge like it should but with no numbers who can say.

Have the battery cables been upgraded ??

What voltage is your alternator putting out

Over all condition of the starting and charging systems??

Just what kind of battery CCA ??

My 3.4 engines start fine in even colder temps with no block heaters after several days.