Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

86 22r questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 22r questions.

First off I have an 86 pickup with a 22r with a 5 speed. Just bought the truck a couple months back and have been slowly working on it. It currently has 35s and brand new sets of 5:29s. IFS in the front. Just did the spark plugs, cap, rotor and plugs as well as a recent oil change. Brand new fuel filter I installed yesterday. The truck had been played with quite a bit before I bought it so I am slowly trying to figure out and fix the things that have been "modified" on it.

Question 1 is when I get into higher speeds around 55-60 it starts to bog down. usually around the end of 4th gear and early 5th. if I shift back down into 4th and punch it sometimes it will be alright and sometimes cruising at 55 in either gear is perfectly fine. I did replaced the fuel filter yesterday and wondering what the next step should be. I'm a bit of a new guy when it comes down to carbs. It does sound like there is a good sized exhaust leak on it I wonder if that may have something to do with it. There are no issues in the lower gears at all that I have felt.

Questions 2 is the clutch pedal height. I know there's usually never a reason to move it and unfortunately I wish the guy that owned the truck before me knew that. I know how to adjust it just wondering if anyone has any pictures of how there's is set up from the factory. the bolt that adjusts the height and the rod that adjusts the free play. I have a brand new marlin crawler clutch in there and would hate to burn that baby up to quickly.

Apologies for my essays for questions but I'm trying to be as thorough as possible. Thank you for your time and responses.

-Sam
Old 01-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You have an in tank filter that could possibly be clogged not allowing enough fuel to flow for higher revs. I cant see an exhaust leak causing you problems. The factory Aisin in my opinion is usually just worn out. All of the pivot points have usually just wallowed out and have vacuum leaks. I would suggest going with a Weber if your state does not have emissions to deal with.

I have never really had to adjust the pedal. If the PO messed it up, swapping in another assembly is not hard to do and is what I would do to correct it.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:26 AM

Right on thank you for your quick reply, ill have to try and check the in tank filter. I didn't even know I had one! I replaced the one that was attached above the tank off the frame. I will have to do some more research on it right now. I have been checking into a new carburetor but unfortunately is out of the budget for a little while but if its what I need I can do a little bit of convincing with the wife!

As with the carb I'm trying to stay away from having to pay for anything new on the truck at the moment and just checking with how to properly set it up. if I have to get a new one that's what ill end up having to do though.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:32 PM

Alright so I dropped the tank turns out that filter is no longer there... I will be getting a new one of those soon, but when I was there I blew out some of the fuel lines just seeing if they were clogged. I got some chunks of stuff between the tank and fuel filter. Also cleaned out the carb a bit and took it for a drive it seemed to run great but we'll see again tomorrow!

As for the clutch I crawled up in there and cannot see anything bent/cracked under there. The master cylinder does look to be new and I'm almost convinced that the pushrod length is just to long. Is this possible? I have it tightened as close to the pedal as possible and still have no free play between the top of pedal and clutch engagement.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:08 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
That rod can absolutely be adjusted too far out, from what I remember. If you can find the FSM (factory service manual) for your truck, that would best. But a Haynes or Chilton are "good enough". It'll show the specs for adjusting the pedal height and play.

Or just google it, and you'll probably find images of the adjustment. It's great for me to have a paper copy of this stuff, but really, it's all out there on the internet somewhere...

Glad you got the fuel stuff more or less figured out.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:33 AM

Alright so you guys have helped me out with the clutch issue and the hesistation issue. Time for another!

And I figured I would just keep posting my issues up in here.

So truck has been running great for some time now. I drove over and got a burrito at a local shop yesterday and when I got to leave I start it up and the idle spikes crazy high. It ends up settling around 2500.

I drove it home chirping in between gears.

So I have now checked for vacuum leaks. I cannot find any. I tried to use the two methods I know of. Carb cleaner and soap and water.

Now since I'm new to these trucks I'm unsure of the choke situation and the plate for it. I was looking at pictures that say it's supposed to close. Mine is stuck wide open.

Name:  image_zpsgvmd3fcu.jpeg
Views: 38
Size:  299.1 KB

I tried turning the plate by hand and it would not budge. I took the linkage off the back, which it looks like someone has done in the past because it was held together with a piece of wire. Without that attached the plate moves freely. By moving both plates I can change the idle back down to a normal area momentarily.

Now another thing is if I spray carb cleaner directly into it instead of spiking rpms it lowers them down?

All help is appreciated as I'm learning all of this very slowly.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:27 AM

Well it's probably just a linkage issue. See if you can figure out how it all should move, and see what's binding it up. If you work the linkage back & forth the way it's supposed to move, you'll probably be able to see/feel the problem.

When you spray the carb cleaner directly in there you're just flooding the engine a little bit so it starts to stall, that's all.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:57 AM

Right on thank you man, I found that the linkage on the back is catching up and not releasing, got that to release now it's idling at about 1200, idle screws do nothing to adjust it so I'm going to replace all the vacuum lines today and play with the linkage some more
Old 02-08-2016, 07:55 AM

Cool. Check the timing, too. But only after you make sure there are no vacuum leaks.

Unfortunately, most of these old Aisin carbs are ready for a rebuild or replacement. Unless you find an innate talent within yourself to work on carbs (and some people do), this usually tends to end in either buying a rebuilt Aisin carb, or switching to a Weber.

But certainly give it a shot first. The high idle definitely doesn't necessarily mean anything wrong with the carb.