Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22re Coolant in Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re Coolant in Cylinder

Been doing a lot of reading on here and cannot seem to find a solution to my problem. I have a 87 Xtra Cab 22re I have been working on for about 8 months now, started with what I thought was a simple timing chain, headgasket job turned out to the motor was junk. Anyway I found a used 22re out of an 87 bought it and put new timing chain and full gasket set from engnbldr and put it in along with a manual trans swap. I did not have the head machined at this time and used engnbldr head gasket, I cleaned both head and block. When installing the intake manifold I some how managed to forget to put gasket sealer on either side. Then proceeded to get everything back together started it without radiator in and ran it for 15 seconds to be sure it wasnt making any real bad noises. At this point I put the radiator in and filled it up, went to start and the cylinders had so much coolant in it would even turn over! Not Good I know. I figured it had to be either the head mating surfaces and or the intake mani which at this point realized had no gasket sealer on it.I also drain the oil which was a creamy milkshake. I pulled the head off and got it machined and also lapped the valves myself and cleaned and checked the block and everything looked good. I put a Fel Pro HG on I know I shouldve used OEM but I was kinda short on funds. Installed head and intake mani WITH gasket sealer got it all together put radiator back in and filled it. I go to start it and the exact same thing happened again coolant in the cylinders wont even turn over.
Not happy with myself at all so I figured Id come here for some help.

The only thing that I can think of would be a cracked head as I did not have it tested for cracks but I looked over it thoroughly.

Any questions or thoughts on what it may be would greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim

Pic is after I pulled the head the first time I have not pulled it after the second time yet.
Attached Thumbnails 22re Coolant in Cylinder-img_1666.jpg  
Old 04-09-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Filling a cylinder on initial start up from a simple crack isn't very likely, filling them all probably unheard of..

It is good you haven't taken it apart yet. Go over the vacuum and coolant line plumbing, they get mixed up often.

Another source would be a bad iacv, located in the bottom of the throttle body.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally last night got the chance to work on it and yes after looking I had 2 same size diameter hoses mixed up in where they go! Got that fixed and she fired right up! I should’ve posted on here earlier but live and learn I guess. Also thanks for the quick feedback!