Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1989 Toyota Pickup POOR Fuel Economy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Toyota Pickup POOR Fuel Economy!

Hey guys,

First time poster here. My name is Alex and I'm from Ontario, Canada. Nice to meet you all in advance.. I'm a university student and currently commuting to school, about 120km daily in my 89 Yota pickup. It's a 5spd, 22re, 4x4. I know these are not EXACTLY ideal commuters but i just love the feeling of being in my truck and its never done me to bad for fuel economy until fairly recently and of course it never gives me problems! its a toyota. Not to mention Canada in the winter pretty well demands 4x4.. My commute is about 70% straight, rural highway and 25% combination of rural highway and 60km/h zones through villages and such, followed by about 5km through the outskirts of the city to school. I average about 90km/h for most the drive apart from the slow zones and I'm just squeezing 15MPG out of her! and this is when i'm driving in the most efficient way that i know how. She's had new plugs and wires and an oil change recently.. i know there are a number of things you can try to improve fuel economy and i wan't to know where to start as I need to prioritize in terms of finances! has anyone experienced this? has anyone find any, one part replacement to be particularly effective in this regard.??

Thanks!!

Alex
Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Tire pressure and the size of tires play a big roll

air filter you don`t say cap and rotor any thing to keep it running the best. Sometimes we forget all the idle time in the winter or colder months.

Also I tend to leave my hubs in all winter that takes away from mileage

Have they switched to the winter blend gas up there yet that seems to kill mileage .

How much extra junk do you cart around in your truck I know I am very guilty of this .

I don`t think 15mpg is all that bad I get far less than that I get about 9.7 miles to the gallon 87 4Runner 5 speed 22rec.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 AM

the tires are just standard size, 215s i think? 28" perhaps? tire pressure is good, air filter was recently done, cap and rotor could probably do with replacement.. I'm not too sure about winter blend gas???? I don't carry much junk at all, my girlfriend and I have our school bags, there are acouple of chains (nothing to heavy duty), for rescuing poor naive folks who think their fwd sedans can stand up to canadian winters... i'm just going by the epa estimated economy, which i know is a rating for a new truck and what not but i still feel like this is a little low! what do your hubs on?? as in your manual hubs for engaging 4wd?

thanks for the reply! i may just have to suck it up, or consider getting a little commuter and turning the truck into a weekend toy
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM

Try seafood your intake and tank. Get two bottles. Full bottle in tank, other half bottle through your booster vacuum line. It's gonna smoke a lot. So be prepared. Once you suck up the half bottle turn off and let sit for a while. Start her up and watch the smoke.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Try seafoam your intake and tank. Get two bottles. Full bottle in tank, other half bottle through your booster vacuum line. It's gonna smoke a lot. So be prepared. Once you suck up the half bottle turn off and let sit for a while. Start her up and watch the smoke.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM

i noticed an improvement in mpgs after fixing some massive exhaust leaks. I assumed the leaks were confusing the oxgen sensor by the catalytic converter and making the engine run rich. This make sense to anyone? either way i got better gas mileage so make sure exhaust is sound.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Try the sea foam for sure. You should be able to get 12L/100km out of her for sure.
215s seem small for stock. My bro had the same truck as yours and was able to get 12L/100km out of it with 235/75r15s
Old 04-09-2014, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by doucy96
hey guys,

first time poster here. My name is alex and i'm from ontario, canada. Nice to meet you all in advance.. I'm a university student and currently commuting to school, about 120km daily in my 89 yota pickup. It's a 5spd, 22re, 4x4. I know these are not exactly ideal commuters but i just love the feeling of being in my truck and its never done me to bad for fuel economy until fairly recently and of course it never gives me problems! Its a toyota. Not to mention canada in the winter pretty well demands 4x4.. My commute is about 70% straight, rural highway and 25% combination of rural highway and 60km/h zones through villages and such, followed by about 5km through the outskirts of the city to school. I average about 90km/h for most the drive apart from the slow zones and i'm just squeezing 15mpg out of her! And this is when i'm driving in the most efficient way that i know how. She's had new plugs and wires and an oil change recently.. I know there are a number of things you can try to improve fuel economy and i wan't to know where to start as i need to prioritize in terms of finances! Has anyone experienced this? Has anyone find any, one part replacement to be particularly effective in this regard.??

Thanks!!

Alex
hi alex !
Add one bottle of
"z-max
Old 04-09-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by doucy96
hey guys,

first time poster here. My name is alex and i'm from ontario, canada. Nice to meet you all in advance.. I'm a university student and currently commuting to school, about 120km daily in my 89 yota pickup. It's a 5spd, 22re, 4x4. I know these are not exactly ideal commuters but i just love the feeling of being in my truck and its never done me to bad for fuel economy until fairly recently and of course it never gives me problems! Its a toyota. Not to mention canada in the winter pretty well demands 4x4.. My commute is about 70% straight, rural highway and 25% combination of rural highway and 60km/h zones through villages and such, followed by about 5km through the outskirts of the city to school. I average about 90km/h for most the drive apart from the slow zones and i'm just squeezing 15mpg out of her! And this is when i'm driving in the most efficient way that i know how. She's had new plugs and wires and an oil change recently.. I know there are a number of things you can try to improve fuel economy and i wan't to know where to start as i need to prioritize in terms of finances! Has anyone experienced this? Has anyone find any, one part replacement to be particularly effective in this regard.??

Thanks!!

Alex
hi alex !
Add one bottle of
"z-max" to a warm engine, in the oil, run it immediately for 15 min on a freeway, this plus an injector/upper cyl. Cleaner every month will dramaticaly increase mpg...!!!
Don't forget the tire pressure should be exactly as it says...!!!