03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Shocks Terrible on 2007 Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks Terrible on 2007 Tacoma

2007 Tacoma, 4X4 SR5, Long Bed 4X4, Double Cab, Automatic, Shell, Non TRD

My stock suspension is terrible. I am on the tail end of a 2800 mile road trip. It bottoms out on moderate bumps on the freeway. It feels like it is "shot". Why is this? Anyone know? I plan to take it to the dealer and ask for new shocks. If they won't replace them I am looking for reccomendations. I do not want to lift. I was thinking Bilsteins. Any ideas would be great.
Inciedntally if anyone read a former post of mine complaining about gas mileage I complain no more. Today I got 23mpg highway! Sorry if this question about shocks has been answered previously. Thank you.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:31 AM

I've never driven on the stock non-TRD shocks, but I hear they are pretty soft. But your problem may be more with your leafs than with the shocks (or both). There is a TSB out there for "soft" rear leafs on these Tacomas. I haven't researched it in depth, but I know others have reported your same concerns, and it appears that Toyota is ready to address it.

Look over on TTORA in the 05+ tech section, and for sure there's a thread on ToyotaNation in the 05+ Tacoma section.

Or you could go out and get yourself a custom built leaf pack from Alcan, plus a new set of performance shocks to get a stiffer ride with little or no lift.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.mycarstats.com register and then add your truck. It will keep you updated on any issues that are common with you truck. Also recall and Bulletins
Old 09-02-2007, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a couple of issues that are on that site. really good place to check up on any vehicle you may or maynot want.
1st
THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 TOYOTA TACOMA. WHILE DRIVING 5 MPH, THE VEHICLE FRAME BOUNCES OFF THE AXLE, HOWEVER, THE FAILURE OCCURS AT ANY SPEED. THE CONTACT TOOK THE VEHICLE TO THE DEALER AND THEY COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG. THE CONTACT RECEIVED A SECOND OPINION FROM ANOTHER MECHANIC AND WAS INFORMED THAT THE REAR SPRINGS AND SHOCK ABSORBERS NEEDED TO BE REPLACED AND A WHEEL ALIGNMENT PERFORMED. IT WILL TAKE APPROXIMATELY TWO MONTHS FOR A TSB TO BE ISSUED FOR THIS FAILURE. THE VIN WAS UNAVAILABLE. THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 9,543 AND FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 3,000
2nd
ON MARCH 24TH I DROVE TO A NEIGHBORING TOWN ABOUT 120 MILES AWAY IN MY NEW TOYO TACOMA 4X4 2007. I DID MY SHOPPING, AND EVERY TIME I EXITED THE VEHICLE I WOULD SMELL THE ODOR OF BURNT RUBBER. I WOULD THEN INSPECT MY TIRES (EXTERIOR) AND THERE DID NOT APPEAR TO BE ANY PROBLEMS. I DROVE HOME THAT EVENING OKAY, BUT WHEN I ARRIVED AT HOME, I AGAIN SMELLED THE BURNT RUBBER ODOR. THE NEXT DAY, I USED THE TRUCK OFF ROAD TO GET A BUNDLE OF FIREWOOD (UNDER 15 POUNDS). BUT, ON MY WAY OVER I HAD A BLOW OUT ON THE FRONT DRIVER'S SIDE TIRE. WE TOOK OFF THE TIRE AND FOUND THAT THE TIRE HAD WEAR MARKS ON THE INSIDE OF THE TIRE CAUSED BY PROTRUDING METAL OFF OF THE A-FRAME. WE CHANGED THE TIRE AND PUT ON THE SPARE. I RETURNED HOME, AND BECAME CONCERNED. I TOOK A LOOK AT THE OTHER PASSENGER SIDE TIRE AND ALSO NOTICED THAT THERE WAS ALSO A PROTRUDING PIECE OF METAL ALSO BEGINNING TO TEAR INTO THE RIGHT TIRE. I CALLED THE DEALERSHIP WHERE I PURCHASED MY VEHICLE, AND THEY ADVISED ME TO GET THE TRUCK INTO THE SHOP TO HAVE THEIR TECHNICIANS TAKE A LOOK AT THE MATTER. I AM A LITTLE CONCERNED, BEING THAT I HAVE NO SPARE TIRE, AND MY NEAREST TOYOTA DEALERSHIP IS 120 MILES AWAY ONE WAY. BUT, ALL IN ALL, I THINK THE DEFECT IS IN THE A-FRAME, WHERE A PIECE OF METAL WAS OVERLOOKED IN BEING GRINDED DOWN BEFORE COMPLETE ASSEMBLY. THIS DEFECT COULD HAVE CAUSED SOME MAJOR DAMAGE AND INJURY, LUCKILY, I USUALLY DRIVE UNDER 60 MPH. I HOPE MORE PEOPLE THAT DO PURCHASE A 4X4 TOYO TACOMA TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THEIR FRONT SUSPENSION A-FRAME BEFORE PURCHASE, SO THEY THEMSELVES DON'T HAVE A BLOW OUT. I PLAN ON GETTING MY TRUCK TO THE TOYO DEALERSHIP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. *JB
Old 09-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacket
There is a TSB out there for "soft" rear leafs on these Tacomas. I haven't researched it in depth, but I know others have reported your same concerns, and it appears that Toyota is ready to address it.

Look over on TTORA in the 05+ tech section, and for sure there's a thread on ToyotaNation in the 05+ Tacoma section.

Yep: http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75838
Old 09-02-2007, 01:48 PM

the tokico trekmaster (teal colored) shocks are quite nice, and affordable too. smooth ride and better dampening than stock.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:51 PM

thanks for the help. i called toyota national who referred me bakc to customer relations locally. local dealership told me if there is nothing broken on the vehicle they cannot fix the problem. i guess i will have to replace the shocks myself. i was looking at pro comps or ranchos.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Update:
Mentioned the TSB to the dealership and they ordered the parts. New leaf springs and four new shocks. Thanks for everyones input I am greatful.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

You had to mention the TSB? They didnt bring it up? Sounds like shoddy service where they arent doing the TSB's unless they are forced to by the customer...

I'd find a new dealership.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:03 PM

I agree however in their defense the TSB for the 2007 only came out 8/28/07. But youre right, they wouldn't budge until i mentioned the tsb. Unfortunatley the next closest dealership is 45 miles way.