03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Leaking XREAS Service / Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking XREAS Service / Replacement

I have deligently searched several forums but I'm yet to get a cost efficient solution to my leaking XREAS issues. I do not plan to lift the T4R, hence I am looking to salvage the failing shocks to stock.

Could anyone please advice on some oil leakage I am having with both my front X-REAS shocks. I have an '04 T4R LTD and live in TX.

What are the dificulties of re-installing another front X-REAS' and are they serviceable? How do you re-pressurize the sytem, what fluid and would it require resetting the ECU? The dealer mentioned that they will have to change the entire system, front and rear, including the conpensator cylinders in the middle. I kind of found this unbelievable especially with their price tag.

I will really appreciate your response, however trivial.

Regards

Note: I had contacted Bulldog-Yota before and below is his reference. Very nice guys you have in these forums. I am glad to participate.

[U]
Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
You might want to check out these threads and feel free to post up. That way it is captured for future users too.

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/show...highlight=XREAS

No ECU or electrical connectors in this system, just hydrolics.

Regards
[U]
Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Replacing XREAS is not as difficult as you may imagine. I am more suspect to where your leaking is occuring. I only state this as replacing the xreas may do you no justice if your lines are kinked or damaged where the oil can still get discharged. I would first locate the leak source and determine if it is repairable or replaceable. Depending on where your leak source is, it could be an easy swap of equipment.

Replacing the entire xreas equipment is possible as several members have had them removed and reinstalled with no ill effect. This is a positive note as this means you are able to purchase used xreas equipment and replace them. ECU does not need to be reset as there are no electronic parts on the system itself. Check out of classifieds to see if anyone is selling their unit.

Good luck
Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 AM

Thanks a bunch GoodTimes.

I could see that the leakage is at the top seal joint through which the strut rod reciprocates into the suspension barrel. I have walked around underneath the 4R when it was jacked up at the dealership and there is no other visible leakage from anywhere else but the front shock struts (both). Would this then mean that I will have to change the entire system as the dealer is insinuating?

I will be very glad if anyone is willing to trade a functional used one.

I could see from numerous threads, especially by Bulldog-Yota, the illustrations for disassembly and assembly of the various components. I am confident this is surmountable.

Regards.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

I would first find out if the xreas can be serviced under your warranty. If so, then you're in good shape but considering you're posting these questions I suspect not.

I would suspect that you would need to replace the entire system as your fluid pressure has diminished due to the leak. There may be a way to recharge the system but I do not know of any place that will provide this service for you.

You're best bet is to find a functioning version that someone has removed. PM "Jared" as he used to have xreas on his and is probably sitting in his garage now.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:43 PM

I also have an XREAS system laying around that I would consider parting with. Also a set of Daystar spacers. I think they covered about 35,000miles before being disconnected. Mostly hwy driving.

I agree with Lance tho. - Push for the warranty coverage first if possible.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:52 PM

Lance, Expat,

Thank you both for your nice suggestions. I have run out of warranty unfortunately and since I do not have the Platinum extended warranty, I will have to bear the consequence. Not much fun.

Expat, I just PM'd you, let me know what you think.

Regards.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:30 PM

You have mail.

Cheers
Mark
Old 08-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

I have my system, but it's fluid has been discharged. When I took it off, fluid came out, so unless it can be recharged (which I don't see why it can't) my stuff won't be much help. I'd be willing to give you the front shocks for free if you pay shipping. They only have 20,000 miles on them, but again, useless if that can't be recharged.

My pipes are all bent to hell, but you can put my shocks and x-reas containers (I have no idea what they are called) on your system.

BTW, the fluid looks and smells like brake fluid.

If Expat has his all "leak-free", I'd pay for his, for the assurance it's going to work.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 AM

Thanks Jared, I am consulting with Expat now hoping that his sytem is sound. That will make me a happy bunny once again.

It's really absurd that these systems seems to be unserviceable; I'd experiment with mine when I finally change them out. I hope to unravel the mystery behind these XREAS.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds good. If you want more to experiment w/, you again can have mine in addition. Shipping costs of course would be the only thing.

It's coincidental, I was just in my storage area yesterday thinking that I should just put a post up here in the classifieds saying that someone could have them if they wanted. If anything to cut apart and see how a shock like that is designed. I think my rear coils might be worth at least something down the road, so I'll hang onto those, but other than that.. bah.

I think the whole "non-serviceable" thing is a real joke. Unless there are parts that *NEED* to stay oiled all the time, draining them should have no effect on their life. Somewhere in that factory they are charged up and installed, so it should be no different after the fact. I bet they just didn't want to have to train 20,000 Toyota mechanics how to do it properly! It really is a nice system, but not worth the hassle.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:26 PM

I absolutely agree with you on the "non-serviceable" stuff. I am sure going to work on this project and your set will be very useful in the end. I'll be needing them at the experimental stage though.

Let me change out mine and I'll get the ball rolling on hacking into these XREAS. I will be asking for your systems at that point, still hang on to them in the meantime.

Originally Posted by Jared
Sounds good. If you want more to experiment w/, you again can have mine in addition. Shipping costs of course would be the only thing.

It's coincidental, I was just in my storage area yesterday thinking that I should just put a post up here in the classifieds saying that someone could have them if they wanted. If anything to cut apart and see how a shock like that is designed. I think my rear coils might be worth at least something down the road, so I'll hang onto those, but other than that.. bah.

I think the whole "non-serviceable" thing is a real joke. Unless there are parts that *NEED* to stay oiled all the time, draining them should have no effect on their life. Somewhere in that factory they are charged up and installed, so it should be no different after the fact. I bet they just didn't want to have to train 20,000 Toyota mechanics how to do it properly! It really is a nice system, but not worth the hassle.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Well if you experiment with them and actually get them serviced, and you end up turning around and selling them. You have to agree to send me some BBQ sauce from Texas. That's the only deal.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:50 AM

No worries at all, Jared. You may stop by for real BBQ if you're ever in TX, nevertheless I am sure to send you the BBQ sauce when we get these things going.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:26 PM

I thought to thank everyone that participated in this thread; I finally got my XREAS shocks replaced with the ones Expat removed from his T4R. Boy, am I happy? I am ecstatic! Drive quality is back to excellent.

It's amazing how the mod bug bites, I hadn't planned for a lift but with Expat throwing in his DayStar spacers and a few words of encouragement I installed them and I am quite pleased. I will now have to watch my appetite for other mods.

Regards.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Falkon
I thought to thank everyone that participated in this thread; I finally got my XREAS shocks replaced with the ones Expat removed from his T4R. Boy, am I happy? I am ecstatic! Drive quality is back to excellent.

It's amazing how the mod bug bites, I hadn't planned for a lift but with Expat throwing in his DayStar spacers and a few words of encouragement I installed them and I am quite pleased. I will now have to watch my appetite for other mods.

Regards.

Oh, you are in trouble now. With that lift, you are going to need new tires, that means new rims. You should also get a new bumper to clear those tires better. Of course a bumper looks empty without a winch.

You really should never have come on here!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jared
Oh, you are in trouble now. With that lift, you are going to need new tires, that means new rims. You should also get a new bumper to clear those tires better. Of course a bumper looks empty without a winch.

You really should never have come on here!

Exactly!!! I hear you Jared; we shall see how long I can stand off this appetite. No regrets yet.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:53 AM

Once replaced how did you charge the system?