03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

2006 Tacoma Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Tacoma Review

Well I've had my truck coming up on 6 months and have 4800 miles on her already. I thought it was about time to do a quick review for those maybe considering buying one. Before I start I'll say OVERALL I love it! But here are a few of the things I like and dislike.

DISLIKES

Tilt steering does not have a lever it's a friction lock under the column. I like to tilt me wheel when I get in and out and you can't do it with this set up.

No way to tell if your fog lights are on or off. The switch has no indicator light on it. I run my headlights out on the freeway during the day and don't want my fog lights on but you can't tell if they are on or off. The switch should have had a light in it or something.

Too many cupholders. My Access cab has 9 cupholders in it and the double cab has 14.

Not real fond of the dial 4WD. If you get stuck in 2WD and need 4WD your screwed you'll never get it engaged without being able to move. With the 6 speed it's an interesting procedure to get into 4low.

No hooks in the front of the bed on the bottom. There are ones in the back corners but I need them up front to tie down my dirt bike. There are the cool ones that slide back and forth but I dont' trust them with the weight of my dirtbike and the pressure from the front forks compressed.

Extra cab seats suck to sit on but the storage under them is nice.

The engine is awesome. I love where they put the oil filter too.

Storage areas in the bed are nice for tie downs and such.

The inverter is nice to have.

Very quiet to ride in.

So much bigger than the older ones.

Steering wheel controls for the stereo.

There is more but those are the ones that come to my mind right away. Like I said overall I love it and the 4.0 6 speed combo is a blast to drive with over 100 more rwhp than my Runner.

Post up your likes and dislikes of your 05+ Tacos.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, I have to go count my cup holders. Are you counting the ones in the door? Those are more for holding a bottle. I like all the cupholders and storage places in the front. It's amazing all the stuff you carry with a kid.

I agree, what's up with no hooks in the bottom front of the bed? I thought mine were missing or something, so I went again to the dealer and looked to see if any of the others had them. Doesn't make sense to me. I wonder how much they charge for those.

They've been making cars for how long now, and they finally figured out how to put the oil filter in a convenient place.

I like how the owners manual looks exactly like my '93 4runner's owners manual. Toyota has saved some money there.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 AM

I mostly agree with your summary, except for a few exceptions.

- Love the cupholders, especially the two under the climate control that can hold a Nalgene bottle. Finally.....

- I agree about the D rings, but I added 2 new ones up front for $20. Simple problem to solve.

A few more of my pros and cons

- oil filter location. The inverted filter can be tricky the first time you change it, but I've learned to love the location
- seats. The sport seats in the TRD packages are very comfy.
- great off road performance.
- storage under the back seat (I think this one was already said)

Cons

- I wish the inverter had a plug in the cab, and I wish you could pull more than 100W in motion.
- interior plastic scratches too easy
- sliding rear window on double cab. What's the point? Just giving thieves an easy access point.

And finally, not enough aftermarket accessories. There's sooo much for the 95-04 Tacomas, and plenty for the new FJ's, but the new Taco's are lagging, primarilly in the off-road accessory area. Seems to be improving though.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Did you put the hooks up front through the drain holes or did you drill new holes?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:05 PM

I actually mounted them a couple of inches up the side wall of the bed (almost in the front corners) with new holes and a backing plate for extra support. I wanted more width for better tie down support of my dirt bike. But I've seen others use the front frame bolts, and mount them to the bolt for maximum strength.

Last edited by Jacket; 03-05-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:55 PM

Hi....I have a 2007 Taco....TRD Can you help me with any suggestions for an exhaust and an air intake?

Thanks....
Old 03-14-2007, 06:09 AM

^ TRD makes and exhaust and a CAI for the new gen tacos.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:13 AM

My one, big dislike is the design of the rear bumper. Pretty bad idea for an off-road vehicle. Any hit of significant force to the bottom of the bumper will push it up into the tail lights, and most often break the plastic mounting tabs on the light housing. I have broken the driver's side twice and the pass side once. Thank goodness for Gorilla Glue.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2007taco...
Hi....I have a 2007 Taco....TRD Can you help me with any suggestions for an exhaust and an air intake?

Thanks....
TRD or Volant for intake... unlimited exhaust options..how much do want to pay? I have a Borla catback on mine and love it but it was spendy.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

you can get toyota tie downs to match the rear ones...they go under that torque bolt...you folks need to check out toyotanation also...they have lots of info for the 05+ tacomas
Old 03-15-2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
TRD or Volant for intake... unlimited exhaust options..how much do want to pay? I have a Borla catback on mine and love it but it was spendy.
Thank you for the information......Kinda new to the Toyota family and I just don't want to screw it up....Waht are your thoughts on Banks??

Andy
Old 03-25-2007, 08:38 PM

I'm have been looking at the tacomas since last year and I have noticed that on the option list in 06 they listed the TRD off road package with RR dif and in 07 the TRD off road comes only with the LSD.

Can anyone confirm that the 07's only come with LSD and not RR locker.

Thank you.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:00 AM

I have a 2007 Tacoma. TRD Off-Road package and it has the locking diff.

You are probably looking at the TRD Sport (which is much less of an off-road vehicle as far as tires and differential - more suited to street driving, though). It comes with an LSD only.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Not real fond of the dial 4WD. If you get stuck in 2WD and need 4WD your screwed you'll never get it engaged without being able to move. With the 6 speed it's an interesting procedure to get into 4low.
just out of interest: what is this 'interesting procedure'???
Old 11-14-2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by rustyrunnerboy
just out of interest: what is this 'interesting procedure'???
that's what i'm wondering......i like the sound of a six speed though....
Old 11-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Good to read this. I'm looking for an 05-06 Taco DC TRD with the standard trans.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 PM

yeah, i'm going to pick up my 2006 tacoma with a 6spd manual on friday...so i guess if there is no answer by then then i'll find out and let you all know...
Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 AM

I have an '05 D/C TRD OFF-ROAD. I share many of the same complaints and praises as others do, but i will post them even if they are same as some of the others.

Likes: Power, Comfort, The Space, The composite bed, and the frame. I just got mine back from the body shop, after bing t-boned a month ago. Everything on the passenger side is new but alas no frame damage which really surprised the guys at the body shop. They said usually an impact that low results in frame damage.
DISLIKES: TRD seats stain too easily. Even water stains them! The composite bed. Yes I know I put it in the "Likes" dept. but what I don't like about it is that it's slippery. The knob for the t-case. Give me a dang lever please! Yes it makes 4wd engagement tricky sometimes. Also the diff lock can be just as fickle! Blink Blink Blink..........C'mon baby, Lock!......LOCK!.....Ugghh!!
Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 PM

so I've only driven my truck around Seattle (where I bought it) to the border in Blaine (where it hast to stay for 3 days before I can export it to Canada), but I have to say I love it. Tall dude in the back for a while said was comfy, drives real tight and it's not all that difficult to judge where the truck is (even though I'm adapting from driving a sedan at the moment). The features are real nice (it came with a explanatory audio CD which I nerdyly listened to while driving). I esp like the outlet plug in the pickup bed. It is also a very sexy looking truck, when I think of it compared to some others out there. The power it's got is awesome and the 6spd is real nice once you get used to it. It is unfortunate that the transfer case selector is a knob, but oh well; you win a lot you loose some... The interior is amazing, the seats are comfortable and on that long drive didn't have any discomfort... I'd go on, but I'm structureless in my argument at the moment, so I'm going to stop...

I LOVE IT!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 03:38 PM

My list is about the same. The dash is made ot of some weird crap that scratches way too easily and there's some white plastic underneath so its even more obvious. At 800 miles someone broke my front and back windows so I had to replace them. And my dash too because of all the scratches it got from the glass. My dash rattles a tad once in awhile now. The plastic bed I love except for how slick it is and scratches easily. The bed mat was a great investment. If it weren't for outside factors the only problem I've had with it is the rear suspension but that is on order. I got the TRD seat covers and the front D Rings (which comes with all mounting instructions). I have the TRD cold air intake and love it. Haven't decided on an exhaust yet, probably Banks. Next is rear locker mod which we shouldn't have to do.

Last edited by juddemt; 11-18-2007 at 03:40 PM.