86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Zuk Mod options and opinions with pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zuk Mod options and opinions with pics

I'd like to do this mod here soon along with BJ spacers in the front. The runner sits pretty level now so Im trying to figure out what spring 12" or 14" would I use to optain a 1 1/2 " to 2" rear lift?
Hard to tell by the pics but from fender to lip is at about 11 3/4 and bump stop to upper is at 3 1/4". I already have an add a leaf and after Market longer shackle. Will the Zuk Mod straighten that shackle out or is somthing wrong there? Thanks for the advise guys. It is much appreciated!

Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
id get the larger spring, you have to figure they might sag alittle too once they settle.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 PM

yea I just didnt know if there was an equation that would tell you what you would get or if its just a guess. I just dont wanna end up with 4 more inches when i only need 2 lol
Old 11-14-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Joby,

I can tell you from experience, they DO NOT really settle much at all. MAYBE 1/16" for me in several months....??? And, from everything I've read, they stay that way for YEARS, ...so whatever you do, it's going to have to be a well researched choice you make. I do not have an AAL and I sat at, I believe, 10" top to top measurement, before the ZUK, .....13" on the dot with the top off, after (12"x125"Magic Springs from Superior Racing.) Now I have a lil rake, but that's another issue all together with my fairly saggy front end, too! lol. Some guys get them and then shave off an inch or so if needed.

From looking at your pics(NICE FREAKIN TRUCK, BTW! lol)...It almost appears to have a tinyyyyyy rake, probably due to your AAL... and if you add Zuks, it will bring your springs back up and everything..but you will REALLY be raked if you don't add BJ spacers or whatever up front. Your space of 3-3/4" in the bump, that's gonna go to around 6" or more, Joby, even with the 12" like I have... so imagine with 14", maybe 100#(lil softer), it will be more like 7"+, ya know? Your front quarter panel should be 2-2.5" higher, top to top measurement than your rear. The front well is cut out taller than the rear for stuffing purposes or whatever, lol.

I have a Zuk Thread in my sig, below, in green.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the reply Chef. I just measured the front and its at about 12 1/2. so that tells me my back is about 3/4" taller. which i dont mind but wouldnt want anymore rake than that. so with a 12" coil i should expect about 3" of lift? and with a BJ in front i'd be looking at about a 2" difference from front to back? So i guess i could take out the AAL but will that even make a difference with the coil or Maybe go back to stock shackle?Or cut down coil? Blaaah Im lost lol
Old 11-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Your Top of rim to top of well in the front is only 11.75"??? That seems unusual, Joby... Mine is stock, no spacers yet, and I've got 13.25" in front and 12.85" in the rear with the Zuks on, NO AAL. I'm starting to think you have aftermarket fender skirts on that or something, Joby...is that true? YES, now that I look at it, it almost looks as if they cut out the rear a bit, then added skirts to both front and rear.... making it almost even. You need to do me a favor, ok? Measure behind the skirt, right against the flat surface of the actual fender, ok? in fact, look under there and tell me if it's flat with holes(the holes would be for chrome trim like I have)... You get what I'm saying?

You look pretty dang level, right now. I think you're getting useless measurements, meaning, until you know the height of the stock fender/highest point, you're not going to get accurate measurements...cuz that thing looks REALLY level to me. Not just, "it's fine, blech, leave it" kinda speaking, trust me.

Do me another favor, ok? Measure right behind the front fender, underneath, to the ground...the surface that the door is on, the body I mean. then, at the rear, just behind the door, nearest to the rear fender well..... measure from ground to body as well. You know what I mean? The section above your nerf bar, .... measure it like I said in the front of that part and the rear.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-14-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:17 PM

Also, tomorrow, on perfectly level ground(as much as possible), take a picture from the SIDE, directly perpendicular to the truck, dead center, around the rear of the door for the center of the pic ...... ok? It would help to see an accurate pic where we can tell if you have any rake at all. If not, then you can bet you're going to get 3" from the 12"x 125#,.... maybe a tiny bit less..... And around 1.5" from the spacers, maybe 2" or more if you adjust the Torsion bars a tiny bit. You feel me? That way, you STAY LEVEL, ya know? Maybe you could get an even shorter coil, ...10"??? Then get around 2" out of them in the rear, and get 2" in the front from spacers and such.... and you'd be right where you were, no additional rake. Might wanna ask Zuk... send him an email.

Personally, I think your spring pack looks pretty flat considering you have an AAL in there... am I crazy guys? Or does it look a lil flat for having one in there?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats a Pretty friggin truck!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:37 PM

ok chev. ill take that pic for ya tomorrow, I do have fender flares on there so tomorrow ill try and see if i can measure behind or ill try to do on each side of nerf bar like suggested.But i put those on before paint and the fenders were not cut at all. and I as well thought about a 10" spring but than worried if it would be long enough with no fear of slipping off. cause like you mine will be no weld. and great video on yours! helped alot. Also are those shackles suppose to be at an angle like that or is it cause my spring pack is so flat? I also got to thinking about it today and realized when i put the shackles on i didnt torque to spec. just got em on real tight which is probably not good at all! If anyone knows correct me but i think torque spec should be around 24-40 LB so they can rotate?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 PM

I thought about trying to get a hold of Zuk but didnt want to bother as im sure he puts up with newbs all the time
Old 11-14-2010, 06:47 PM

what kind of fender flares are those, they look pretty nice!!! truck overall looks sharp! I would get the 14" and then if its too high just cut off a bit. thats what I did.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:51 PM

they are 20.00 junk yard flares! haha what a steal huh. bought those and the nerf bars for 40.00. cut em with a torch?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Joby8103
ok chev. ill take that pic for ya tomorrow, I do have fender flares on there so tomorrow ill try and see if i can measure behind or ill try to do on each side of nerf bar like suggested.But i put those on before paint and the fenders were not cut at all. and I as well thought about a 10" spring but than worried if it would be long enough with no fear of slipping off. cause like you mine will be no weld. and great video on yours! helped alot. Also are those shackles suppose to be at an angle like that or is it cause my spring pack is so flat? I also got to thinking about it today and realized when i put the shackles on i didnt torque to spec. just got em on real tight which is probably not good at all! If anyone knows correct me but i think torque spec should be around 24-40 LB so they can rotate?
Ahh, you put em on, ok... gotcha. Well, still, you understand what I mean about it not being an "accurate measurement from top of wheel to top of fender", right? You'd have to KNOW they're EXACTLY the same distance from each fender well to the tip of the skirts, in order to do that. I doubt they are. So, that's why measure from the stock fender well edge to the wheel, not the skirt. Cool on the pics....thanks!

Originally Posted by Joby8103
I thought about trying to get a hold of Zuk but didnt want to bother as im sure he puts up with newbs all the time
He's a very cool guy, Joby...and this is a Mod he somewhat promotes(or at least helps get the word out on)...so of course he would talk to you about it. Just copy and paste your thread URL from the browser and post it to him in a Private Message.... and then explain real quick what you're doing and about the skirts, etc. I would just get the measurements of the real fender edge, first.... then you'll be cookin with gas, ya know? lol.

Best wishes man, and thanks for the compliment... I enjoyed doing that and the video, lol.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:58 PM

Ya i got ya on the measuring, ill get the pics tomorrow and no thank you! I just wanna make sure i do this right!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
what kind of fender flares are those, they look pretty nice!!! truck overall looks sharp! I would get the 14" and then if its too high just cut off a bit. thats what I did.
Hey Cougar! How you doin? lol.... Just wondering, wont the 14" bring him to about 3.5" higher in the rear? He'd need 4" of lift in the front after that, ya know? Even if he cut em down and wound up with 2.5"-3" higher in the rear..he'd still need at least 3.5" in the front to level out.... Why not just get the 12"x100# and start with around 2.5" back there? Even then, he'd still need 2.5" minimum in the front to be looking pretty level. Isn't that pushin his CV's, etc, already?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:02 PM

and I dont wanna mess with the torsion bars much so ill be stuck right around 1 1/2". 2" max
Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Gotcha, ...just get those measurements and we'll know exactly what you need to do......sorta! lol. You know what I mean... haha.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:56 PM

coils

i installed the 14" 100#, and it took me from 11" to 14.5" from rim to fender. so, 3.5" lift. I am pretty sure they would sit higher, but are limited by my shackle length and spring arch.

As far as the ride, they are too stiff, and don't flex well enough. Not sure what the magic combination is...probably new springs at some point.

Oh, and they haven't sagged in almost 8 months and multiple trips off-road.

Hope that helps.
-L

Last edited by lbeard_gv; 11-14-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by lbeard_gv
i installed the 14" 100#, and it took me from 11" to 14.5" from rim to fender. so, 3.5" lift. I am pretty sure they would sit higher, but are limited by my shackle length and spring arch.

As far as the ride, they are too stiff, and don't flex well enough. Not sure what the magic combination is...probably new springs at some point.

Oh, and they haven't sagged in almost 8 months and multiple trips off-road.

Hope that helps.
-L
That surprises me. everything i have herd say they ride like a dream?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to give you some more information. I went with 14" 125lb coils for my 89 4runner and it made it almost dead level when I added the 1.5" spacers up front. It hasn't sagged at all and it rides a heck of a lot better than it did before.

edit: I just had the stock springs on there, no add a leaf or longer shackles or anything like that.

Last edited by Junkers88; 11-15-2010 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Zuk Mod options and opinions with pics