86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Zelephant's two-tone roller paint job advice/progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spokane.yota.man
looks good! did you paint the interior parts like the door jambs? did you stick to your plan of wet sanding between each coat? i am about to paint my rig with the same method, will probably use rustoleum though.
I did wet sand between every coat of black, but when I did the red, I only wet sanded places that I could see needed it. It doesn't seem to have effected the result. I painted the doorjams when doing the black, but when I did the red, I left them the original color. The old color really stuck out against the black, but isn't really noticeable against the red. I also probably wouldn't have had enough paint to finish them, anyway.

If you plan on using rusto., here's a helpful link:
http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html
Old 05-27-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
looks really good man .. Great job !!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also agree with everyone else, very nice job. Well done! Now we have to do something about the bumpers...
Old 05-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
That is one beautiful 4Runner! You have inspired me, when I finally get around to painting mine, I will definitely consider two-tone. Nice work man!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:14 PM

Love the two tone, looks great!! Got a pic from the side??

And as for rustoleum:

Been experimenting with it. It has about a month and so of being exposed to the weather. So far, its holding up good.

Last edited by streetlancer; 06-20-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:01 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
very nice work bud...........very nice indeed.

good job.....no, GREAT job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

will serve as inspiration for many others.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:32 PM

My link shows another yahct paint job done on my camper shell.
http://img293.imageshack.us/i/topper008.jpg/
Old 06-24-2010, 03:50 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
nice and nice rims too
Old 06-25-2010, 08:14 AM

O boy, thread revival!

Streetlancer: I don't have a dead on side shot because the truck is parked where you see it with a dead battery. I've spent the last 2 years "refurbishing" it off and on as money allows, and it's finally getting registered in August because I need transportation to school in the fall. Until then, I don't want to replace the battery because its just gonna sit.
The Rusto looks good! I spy red and black; are you imitating my paint job? Mine's been in the weather for about a month, too. The rain's still beeding great!

92 TOY: Thanks for the complement. I appreciate it, especially considering what you've complished in a different aspect of your rig . I haven't posted in your thread, but I've been watching!

So long as I'm posting, here's a final touch I added after finishing the paintjob:

I bought these from a guy on Tacomaworld named SockMonkey. They were pricey, but his service is top notch, and he has literally hundreds of custom "TRD" patterns to choose from.

Last edited by Zelephant; 06-25-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
you can get those stickers off ebay... i got my TRD 4Runner one for 20 bucks.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
you can get those stickers off ebay... i got my TRD 4Runner one for 20 bucks.
I realize you can get the basic, factory "TRD Sport" decal for that price on ebay. I just fell in love with the mountain design, and so far as know, those aren't for sale on ebay (at least when I was shopping for them). Here's Sockmonkey's Photobucket page with all the bedside decal designs he sells:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...als/?start=all
So far as I know, these are available only through him. He also allows you to customize the colors used in each of those stickers. Here's his decal thread on Tacoworld:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/soc...fo-thread.html

Last edited by Zelephant; 06-25-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Zelephant
O boy, thread revival!

Streetlancer:
The Rusto looks good! I spy red and black; are you imitating my paint job? Mine's been in the weather for about a month, too. The rain's still beeding great!
Maybe
I've always liked a two tone with red & black,but I was thinking of switching it up: red truck and black racing stripes down the middle with the retro toyota vinyls on the side painted black.

Originally Posted by Zelephant
So long as I'm posting, here's a final touch I added after finishing the paintjob:

I bought these from a guy on Tacomaworld named SockMonkey. They were pricey, but his service is top notch, and he has literally hundreds of custom "TRD" patterns to choose from.
That decal looks sick!! I might have to get me one

Last edited by streetlancer; 06-25-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:08 PM

complete newb here..first post. I'd rather search than post but I wanted to ask how important the prep for this paint job was for you. I started to sand my truck today with and realized that sanding by hand this job is going to take some time before i even get to paint. I work a lot of hours so I might get a little bit of time each day to do it. Since the paint is supposed to bond to anything is sanding really important or something that you can quickly do? My current paint is in pretty good shape in some spots but not so good in others. Not any serious rust but just paint flaking off and fading. Any suggestions? Do i need to find a sander? Thanks for everyones help so far, learned a lot about my truck from the site. 1989 4x4 pick-up. I'd post a pic if I knew how, once I figure it out I'll post before/after shots.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MountainGator
complete newb here..first post. I'd rather search than post but I wanted to ask how important the prep for this paint job was for you. I started to sand my truck today with and realized that sanding by hand this job is going to take some time before i even get to paint. I work a lot of hours so I might get a little bit of time each day to do it. Since the paint is supposed to bond to anything is sanding really important or something that you can quickly do? My current paint is in pretty good shape in some spots but not so good in others. Not any serious rust but just paint flaking off and fading. Any suggestions? Do i need to find a sander? Thanks for everyones help so far, learned a lot about my truck from the site. 1989 4x4 pick-up. I'd post a pic if I knew how, once I figure it out I'll post before/after shots.
220 grit and scotch brite pad. the surface only needs to be scuffed up good. taking your time wet sanding between coats is where you should spend your time.

if you cant do the job all at once, dont worry. this painting method waits for you not the other way around.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 AM

prep is important.Buy a electric D.A dewalt sander and this will cut your sanding time way down.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by iselloil
prep is important.Buy a electric D.A dewalt sander and this will cut your sanding time way down.
I like my solution better, bring friends in! If you have to entice them with food or drink, so be it ! Also, I planned mine months in advance; I had a pretty good idea of what needed to get done and how fast, and my buddies were more than willing to help. But be prepared to return the favor, I might be going over to help them with a '70 Monte Carlo soon.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Just wanted to drop in and say awesome job! Love the 2 tone, looks great!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:05 PM

ive always heard that a good paint job is 90% prep work. so take your time on sanding and getting it ready because you'll have good results in the end.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:06 AM

zelephant when you wet sanded did it mess your two tone up at all? Im thinking about doing all the painting at once then wet sanding after it is dry...will that mess it up? will the colors run together at all>? thanks
Old 07-21-2010, 05:51 PM

I can't give you a difinitive answer to that because I didn't do all the painting at once, in fact, I think it would be impossible to do a two-tone paintjob all at once. In order to mask between colors, the surface you apply the mask to has to be dry. If you painted all at once, both surfaces would be wet, it just wouldn't work. Does that answer your question, or am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Zelephant's two-tone roller paint job advice/progress thread