Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great job!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
-Nice..!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:12 AM

Thats an awesome paint job well done!
This may be a stupid question but... how?!, how do you get it so smooth and shiney !!, its beautiful, ive been using a gun and a compressor and i can never get it to have a mirror shine like yours
Whats your secret ?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 PM

so I guess i'm kinda reviving an old forum but i'd really like an answer to this question.
I'm planning to paint my 4Runner with Interlux, and I was planning on doing it with a paint sprayer...will it turn out smoother if it's rolled on?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1993hiluxsr5
Thats an awesome paint job well done!
This may be a stupid question but... how?!, how do you get it so smooth and shiney !!, its beautiful, ive been using a gun and a compressor and i can never get it to have a mirror shine like yours
Whats your secret ?
Lol, thanks! No secret, everything I did I posted in this thread. Also I think the camera makes it looks a little better than it is. There is a definite texture to the finish when you get up close.

Originally Posted by nlinn
so I guess i'm kinda reviving an old forum but i'd really like an answer to this question.
I'm planning to paint my 4Runner with Interlux, and I was planning on doing it with a paint sprayer...will it turn out smoother if it's rolled on?
I can't answer definitely, since I've only rolled it on, but I would assume spraying would be better. I rolled it on because I wasn't ready to buy an air compressor, and I don't have a garage to spray in. If you have a air compressor, I'd probably try spraying it, just remember the paint won't go as far.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:48 PM

sweet, thanks for the info man.
good job on wiping out that cancer and getting a classic back on the road, I'm not normally partial to two tone paint but I've gotta say it looks really nice.

Last edited by nlinn; 10-07-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:58 AM

Subbd
Old 10-08-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zelephant
Lol, thanks! No secret, everything I did I posted in this thread. Also I think the camera makes it looks a little better than it is. There is a definite texture to the finish when you get up close.
Well it looks fantastic !, hope it holds up thanks for the reply. i guess ill have to try a lil harder to get mine this good
Old 10-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks! About durability, so far so good. It's been in the elements for 5 months, and all I have to report is that water doesn't bead anymore. Aside from that, it looks as good as day 1. I'll keep the thread updated as time passes.

Last edited by Zelephant; 10-08-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:36 PM

1 year later

So its about one year later.... how does it look??? Can we get some photos? Thanks!

Also, love the paint scheme... looks like an old full sized Blazer
Old 05-24-2011, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the thread revival, I've been meaning to do the 1-year update.

Paint looks basically as good as the day I rolled it on. No fading or even peeling as I was concerned about. Here's a response I made to another thread about some of my thoughts after 1 year:
Originally Posted by Zelephant
-There is a slight but definite texture to it. You can't feel it, but you can see it in certain lights. If you're considering painting your truck with a roller in your backyard, though, it shouldn't bother you.
-It looks a lot better in bright light than low light. Under a streetlight or in a parking garage at night, the texture is much more visible, and sometimes so are some brushstrokes. In the sun it looks professional.
-It scratches easily. This is my biggest issue with the method. From taking the top off/on, to leaning objects against the truck, scratches appear. The good news is they touch up really well and easily, but it's a pain.

I painted my truck with a roller because it was what I could afford. I would probably do it again, if for no other reason than the paint doesn't fade like a rattlecan job, which is the only other option I could afford. But if you have the funds and space to use a spray gun, I would do that. I didn't, so I used the best option available to me.
The only other thing I would bring up applies to two-tone rigs. I found that placing the pinstripe on the ridge between the two colors allowed water to get in and make the stripe peal in places. I had to cut that section out, sand down the ridge, and lay new striping. So I would suggest not putting the stripe directly on the ridge between colors.

That said, here's my most recent pic of the rig, hopefully you can see that the paint looks as good as day one:
Old 08-17-2011, 08:19 AM

wow is all i can say that came out realy nice i plan on painting mine to match my topper dark blue good to see it is holding up so well

i saw some rust on your bumper i would highly recomend some brasso comes in a brass colored bottled any grocery store has it realy just wipes the rust off and makes it nice and shiny cheap and one of those products thats been around forever
Old 08-20-2011, 04:56 PM

Can you put some clear coat or enamel on it to keep it from scratching so easily?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by jdw1
Can you put some clear coat or enamel on it to keep it from scratching so easily?
To the top, cuz I want an answer to this, too!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 AM

2 yr bump...How does it look?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. After two years, I can definitely say the red has faded in places. The black still looks fine, but I'm kinda disappointed with how the red has held up. Water over the dam at this point, though. I'm thinking that next year after the paint weathers another New England winter I'll wet-sand it all down again and spray on some kind of clear coat. Watch this thread for progress on that.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Like you said, the truck looks 1000% better and you did a great job. Even if it has faded in spots, it showed you that you can do it. Great job.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 PM

Just tuning in, great job, and thanks for responding to everyone. Love the pics
Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 PM

He inspired me to do mine... I went with the spray route and had to do it twice since I didn't like the first blue that I used....(ordered the wrong color) but thanks Zelephant. Check out the outcome if you please. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ontrol-257144/ Now I just need to move back to Utah (nov)so I can take it wheeling.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:32 PM

I saw Your paint job in 2011 and could not tell it was rolled on.

Quick Reply: Zelephant's two-tone roller paint job advice/progress thread