Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Zelephant's two-tone roller paint job advice/progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, that looks great. definitely subscribed....i need to paint my camper shell on the cheap.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:59 AM

94toy, is that really a roll on paint job? That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing everybody, I would never have believed a roll job could look so professional. More than good enough for my truck.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
subscribed, would like to know how much paint you go through and how many coats as well.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:47 AM

Yes that is a roll on paint job! Just take your time and it will turn out looking great!!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey 94toy what paint did you use? (sorry for the thread jack!)
Old 05-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

I had some success spraying Latex paint with a $30 Harbor Freight gun. I thinned it with a product called Floetrol and water. It came out super smooth. Much easier and faster than rolling and it goes on evenly.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple people asked about how much paint I used. The upper half of the truck can be painted with less than 10oz, so figure 20oz. for the whole truck, or maybe a bit more. 20x3=60oz. for the three coats. Two quarts is 64oz., so I bought a qt. of black and qt. of red. With shipping these two colors came to $65. Another $35 for supplies, and you have your $100 paint job.

I did the second coat today. No pics because the truck basically looks the same, but I did learn something important. I forgot to shake the can before using the paint, and I soon as I started rolling I noticed how much bubblier it was. At times, I did have to roll over it a second time, and sometimes this was more of a hurt than a help. It was just more of a pill to apply. Once again, the final result looks pretty much the same, I'm probably the only one who can see the differences. But for those considering doing this yourself:
SHAKE THE CAN BEFORE YOU USE IT!!!

Last coat of black goes on tomorrow, and I will make sure I remember to shake the can. I want the last coat to be perfect.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:42 PM

All right! So what, about 3 or 4 more days and we get to see the finished product? I'm looking forward to it!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Zelephant
SHAKE THE CAN BEFORE YOU USE IT!!!
On the moparts.org thread, I remember reading NOT to shake the can, because then you have to wait several hours for the bubbles to evacuate.

How will shaking the can make the final coat better? Does the paint separate? Do you think you could stir it with a stick to get it mixed up with fewer bubbles?

Awesome job, I'm going to do this myself at some point.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by betelnut
On the moparts.org thread, I remember reading NOT to shake the can, because then you have to wait several hours for the bubbles to evacuate.

How will shaking the can make the final coat better? Does the paint separate? Do you think you could stir it with a stick to get it mixed up with fewer bubbles?

Awesome job, I'm going to do this myself at some point.
Hmmm, that's interesting. I just took it for granted before you use it, shake the can of paint. That's what we did on day one, and every was shocked at how smoothly it went on. Maybe it went on bubblier on day two for some other reason, like tempurature or humidity, I dunno. All I know is that the application was easier the day I remembered to shake it than it was the day I forgot to.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:01 PM

yeah I wouldent shake it I would stir it up real good thats what i did. Use one roller to roll it on and another dry roller to get the bubbles out and level the paint out better! If you do that it will come out looking like glass!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:35 AM

Well, for the final coat, I swished the can round and round instead of up and down. The final application went on like the first, super smooth. The bubbles resolved themselves quickly into a great finish. It would seem shaking or stirring the can definitely helps. I'd have pics but it's about to rain, and the pics would be dark. I'll get some when I start on the second color after it stops raining (in a few days).
Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
the only issue i see, you stated that you wash the runner with soap and water after wet sanding. If that soap left residue you could get screwed later down the road.

I recommended wiping the surface down with rubbing alcohal so the surface is clean and no residue is left on the surface. good luck man, hope it turns out well.

keep in mind fine musical instruments are finished in the same manor so it is possible to get a truly glassy finish.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
the only issue i see, you stated that you wash the runner with soap and water after wet sanding. If that soap left residue you could get screwed later down the road.

I recommended wiping the surface down with rubbing alcohal so the surface is clean and no residue is left on the surface. good luck man, hope it turns out well.

keep in mind fine musical instruments are finished in the same manor so it is possible to get a truly glassy finish.
What can happen down the road? The paint's adhering fine now. I did wipe down the truck with rubbing alcohol between coats, but I didn't think to do it before the first coat. I'll make sure to wipe it down before I start the second color.

It's raining right now, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that this boat paint beads water better than any wax job I've ever seen! Maybe this effect will wear off, but perhaps I won't have to wax the truck anymore!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's Yacht paint.
I really hope it repels water as if it were the ugly girl at the bar.
That'd be some cheap yacht paint if it didn't.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

has the continued painting come to a stand-still because of the weather?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stuwy123
It's Yacht paint.
I really hope it repels water as if it were the ugly girl at the bar.
That'd be some cheap yacht paint if it didn't.
all fresh paint jobs repel water like that. it will go away tho
Old 05-18-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Should turn out good, ill be doing this shortly.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zelephant
What can happen down the road? The paint's adhering fine now. I did wipe down the truck with rubbing alcohol between coats, but I didn't think to do it before the first coat. I'll make sure to wipe it down before I start the second color.

It's raining right now, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that this boat paint beads water better than any wax job I've ever seen! Maybe this effect will wear off, but perhaps I won't have to wax the truck anymore!
yes it can peal later possibly, there is nothing you can to about it now. If it dose not peal your in good shape, you wont know for at least a year. I would not worry about it as it is done already. Just keep it in mind for the future.

It is looking good and the more you work on it the better it will become. if you want some reference video's, look up varnishing instruments on youtube. will give you some techniques you did not know before.

Remember to enjoy the process as well

Last edited by dark_fairytales; 05-18-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 PM

Nice job!!!

Last edited by graduatedpine; 05-20-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Zelephant's two-tone roller paint job advice/progress thread