Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

for you IFS freaks flex results vs a SFA

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for you IFS freaks flex results vs a SFA

hey guys today i went to a friends house of mine and we were tinkering with the trucks a bit and my buddy had just got his 79 with 4 inch lift and 34's so i said lest see some flex

i went first to because he must have been intimidated by my 33's and ifs so here are the trucks and results

the following test were preformed with a fork lift

91 toyota pickup stock ifs system with sway bar removed and 33-10.50's with 2 inch longer Shackle's

front = 15 1/2 inches from the ground to bottom of tire
rear= 19 1/2 inches from the ground to bottom of tire

79 SFA toy pickup

4 inch lift and 34's [all spring lift(no blocks)]

front= 19 1/2 inches from the ground to bottom of tire
rear= 19 1/2 inches from the ground to bottom of tire

all this is before i install new bj spacers and t-bars rear chevy springs and a set of 35's on the 91 and well do the test again which should put me somewhere close to him
Old 11-27-2007, 05:13 PM

haha, but cool write up man...
Old 11-27-2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
haha, but cool write up man...
i wanted to kick my self in the ass for not having a camera with me so no pics but when the new parts go on i will be suer to have pics on the next test for sure

Last edited by TRD_JW; 11-27-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by TRD_JW
i wanted to kick my self in the ass for not having a camera with me so no pics but when the new parts go on i will be suer to have pics on the next test for sure
haha, yeah i know what ya mean. but when might the parts go on?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
haha, yeah i know what ya mean. but when might the parts go on?
WAIT A MINUTE I DID HAVE ONE FROM MY CELL PHONE ITS NOT GREAT BUT IT WILL DO

Old 11-27-2007, 05:33 PM

haha, cool! those camera phones are good after all...
Old 11-27-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:34 PM

I love to see IFS rigs getting built, alot of times they are very under estimated. I now have a solid axle rig, but I also have a 87 IFS p/u that I would like to build into a nice DD/off road rig someday!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:38 PM

I was stoked by the results and this test was before the chevy springs, bj spacers 25 mm t bars and 35's

i cant wait to get the rest of the stuff on and she how shell do on the next test
Old 11-27-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sweet! post your results in this thread when you get the new parts!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
sweet! post your results in this thread when you get the new parts!

it might be a while but it will be done hopefull in the next month or so i have most of the parts just need the time to do it

BUT I WILL DO
Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 87toypu
I love to see IFS rigs getting built, alot of times they are very under estimated.
Yeah, they do pretty well.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey IFS doesnt suck, it only kinda sucks for rock crawling. for desert racing and jumping, ifs wins. its got lots of potential. only problem is its expensive to build up.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The 25mm t-bars will not help your flex, just so you know. It will probibly make it worse.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is a picture I took a little while ago and drew lines on to give somewhat of a visual idea of how IFS would compare to a solid axle, since a solid axle shows the ammount of travel much easier visually...

From CV to CV...

don't mind the extra lines and the greasy suspension.....

Last edited by az4x4runner; 11-27-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
hey IFS doesnt suck, it only kinda sucks for rock crawling. for desert racing and jumping, ifs wins. its got lots of potential. only problem is its expensive to build up.
If you go all out and really build a LT system, it costs the same as a well built SAS.

The difference is that you still have weak axles. With a SAS you can get rid of the weak axles and go cromo.

I have less than 500 bucks into my IFS.

Flex is over rated. My dual ARBs and buttloads of gearing make it irrelevant.

It isn't a rock crawler, but it holds its own.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:57 AM

That is interesting. What type of springs was he running? If it was a 79 then it probably was running the stock torque rod which limits flex anyways. I wheeled the hell out of my 94 truck with its IFS until it could not be aligned anymore. I also never spent much money on an IFS lift kit. I did do the 1.5" BJ spacers, 25mm sway-a-ways, and 1.5" rear shackles/1.5" AAL. I did my SAS because I had a set of 37" MTR's that I wanted to install on my truck and an 80 Toyota axle that I had gotten for cheap. I am glad that I finished the suspension. Coming attractions are a 98 2RZ-FE(goodbye 3VZE/R150F), R151F turbo tranny with Marlin Crawler 2/3RZ bellhousing, 6 puck race clutch, and dual cases with 4.7's in the rear case, FROR crossmember and a final crawl ratio of 244:1. The parts are in my garage, waiting to be installed.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:57 PM

I would like to see you and your buddy have a build-off right here on this forem, i hope you end up out do his SFA that would be great. The IFS halfshafts are pretty weak when it comes to rocks. I did find some axles that are said to "never break, ever" from this guy in lake havasu city, he fabs shafts with the toyota halfshaft bolt pattern and 2 1350 u-joints with 2 inch shafts. And with those shafts and some steering mods i think i will have a bomb proof IFS!!! The down side is the cost, $480 a piece!!!!!! but he will replace it for life (thought he said it wont break) and if you dont want them or are unsatisfied for any reason he will refund half your money and put stock ones back on at no extra cost. All this comes out of his garage, and thats kinda scary, but hey, it took me 3 days to go from saying "I need a SAS" to
"I'll make the baddest IFS toyota rock crawler ever" and i will end up not going to either extream...( i hope).
Old 02-17-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman85
I would like to see you and your buddy have a build-off right here on this forem, i hope you end up out do his SFA that would be great. The IFS halfshafts are pretty weak when it comes to rocks. I did find some axles that are said to "never break, ever" from this guy in lake havasu city, he fabs shafts with the toyota halfshaft bolt pattern and 2 1350 u-joints with 2 inch shafts. And with those shafts and some steering mods i think i will have a bomb proof IFS!!! The down side is the cost, $480 a piece!!!!!! but he will replace it for life (thought he said it wont break) and if you dont want them or are unsatisfied for any reason he will refund half your money and put stock ones back on at no extra cost. All this comes out of his garage, and thats kinda scary, but hey, it took me 3 days to go from saying "I need a SAS" to
"I'll make the baddest IFS toyota rock crawler ever" and i will end up not going to either extream...( i hope).

where are these axles comming out of? ive thought about a set of 38's on my rig just for sho and maby a little mud being that is all we have around here
Old 02-17-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman85
Stronger half shafts just means you will be breaking that weak ring and pinion that toyota uses. Trust me, I have busted 2 ring gears and one set of spider gears. The ifs front ends just arent ment for big tires, horse power, or rock crawling. They will go far as long as you go easy. But going easy get old fast.

Quick Reply: for you IFS freaks flex results vs a SFA