Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

YotaTech Newbie w/ Temperature Guage Problems... Read * Please help :D

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YotaTech Newbie w/ Temperature Guage Problems... Read * Please help :D

Hello All
My name is Perez. I am ecstatic to be a newbie on the yotatech forums I enjoy wrenching on my yota and simple offroading. Thank you all for letting me be a part of your community. I just recently purchased an 86 pickup 22re ( 4wd, xtra cab, Black Truck w/ Black and Grey Interior, Power Windows and Locks, Power Steering/ Heater / AC, CD Player w/ infinity speakers, Stock Sun Roof, 235k on body less than 30k on New 22re Motor, 5 Speed w/ cruise control and safety switch, decent front bumper w/ winch) for 900 dollars.

Since purchasing the yota pickup I've put New Red Top Cell Battery, Grounding Cables, Power Cables, Brakes ( Drums, Pads, Rotors and Calipers), SparkPlugs/wires/Roter Cap, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Catalytic Converter w/ Flowmaster. After Registration and emissions ( gotta love the state of california.... :\ ) I'm at a total of 1800 dollars spent on the yota. I drove the Yota from LA to Vegas with no problems... I was cruising at 80 to 85mph... did not overheat or burn any oil... 22.8 MPG ( AWESOME MPG huh?!?) . In the very short time that I've owned the yota I've already taken it out to Red Rock, Valley of Fire and Lake Mead.... SO MUCH FUN!!!!
Here are some Lake Mead Pics

k... here it goes... 2 weeks ago my temperature gauge crapped out on me. I went over to AutoZone ( Big mistake ) and bought one of them cheap SunPro electric temperature gauges. The install was easy but I ran into a little problem. The new sending unit requires a bushing 3/8" x 1/8" to fit on the thermostat housing. I cant find any bushings with the correct thread. I've been to Checkers, Nappa, Lowes, Home Depot and local car parts store.

Original Sending Unite

New Sending Unit w/ Bushings

With the hot weather around the corner I would like to resolve this problem ASAP. Should I try to find the bushing that fits? Should I go get a new SR5 guage cluster? Should I spent a bit more money and get a name brand temperature gauge? What should I do?!?

ty

~Perez
Old 03-13-2007, 02:25 AM

Maybe check Toyota?...TRDpart4u.com might have it??? Good Luck.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:53 AM

=Update=

Called a local dealership and they were unable to tell me the pitch of the threading. I'm going to find a machine shop and see if I can get one made. Does anybody have any helpful advise? ty
Old 03-13-2007, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None of the adapters work? I also have a SunPro temp gauge from AutoZone and it came with a bunch of adapters, and one of them was the one I needed.

Rob
Old 03-13-2007, 08:02 AM

go junk yard hopping for a new guage cluster or just buy a new temp sending unit
Old 03-13-2007, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by rdlsz24
None of the adapters work? I also have a SunPro temp gauge from AutoZone and it came with a bunch of adapters, and one of them was the one I needed.

Rob
None of the bushings that came with the kit fit.
I have also hooked up the new temp gauge to the stock sending unit. The readings are way off.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:48 AM

That's what you get for only paying $900 for that truck.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:00 AM

Or you could retap the hole to a U.S. pipe size. Then use a 3/8" or 1/2" bushing.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by UncleBob
That's what you get for only paying $900 for that truck.

The truck runs like a champ I got it from the original owner and its been very well maintained. I believe that little non mechanical things will begin to break due to the fact that its a 22 year old truck.... The only reason I want to get the gauge issue resolved is to add to my peace of mind and driving comfort. This is not my primary means of transportation... its the weekend toy .

I need to find a metric adapter kit. :\
Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 AM

I think you can get them from SunPro. When I bought the kit it said in the installation manual if you needed different adapters there were kits you could buy.

Rob
Old 03-13-2007, 09:22 AM

you can order metric adapters from autometer or sunpro. You can look online at places like summitracing. I switched both my oil pressure and temp gauges to autometer and I had to buy the metric adapter package which came with 5 metric adapters for under $20 I think.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 AM

There should be a spot in the housing where you can drill and tap a new hole. That's what I had to do on my 3VZE when I put a mechanical temp gauge in it.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:26 AM

Just ordered the Metric Adaptor Kit ( SunPro CP7573).... I will arrive on the 15th. Thank you all for the help

What are your thoughts on my yota? Decent rig for the price? What should be the first thing I Mod? Any members located in the Vegas Area?

Once again... ty all
Old 03-13-2007, 10:35 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the stock sending unit has metric threads but I don't know what size. If you can't measure it, maybe look for a metric bolt that is close from the hardware store and see if its the right thread. Then you'll know the right size.

McMaster Carr has some metric adapters (www.mcmaster.com) but you'll have to figure out what size you need. As an example, part number 4822T41 is a 1/8" NPT female to M10 x 1.0 male adapter. Their shipping is phenomenal and I've received parts from them the next day after an order. Do a search on their website for "metric adapter" and scroll down. They have a variety of different sizes, as well as NPT and BSP threaded adapters too. Assuming the Sunpro sender is 1/8" NPT, you might have to do a combination of two adapters to get what you need. You might also www.egauges.com. Do a search for adapters. They have quite a few also, including metric ones. HTH and good luck.

Last edited by dh515; 03-13-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ptotherez

Just ordered the Metric Adaptor Kit ( SunPro CP7573).... I will arrive on the 15th. Thank you all for the help

What are your thoughts on my yota? Decent rig for the price? What should be the first thing I Mod? Any members located in the Vegas Area?

Once again... ty all
Dude your yota looks so clean!! wheres the rust.. i paid 4500 (canadian dollars) for my 89 yota 4x4 and it definetly needed sum TLC too lol... expecially the body which i duno when ill ever have the time for that rust repair. Looks like u got a killer deal..

And about the gauge. i have a sunpro and it sucks or at least im having problems with it... in a 40minute drive it will (about 25 times) go from 88c to 100c then shoot down to 88c again! all the while the toyota one on my dash stays the same... any ideas?