Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

yay, new light installed today

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
yay, new light installed today

there was fair enough weather today after work, I so installed my new lights on my bumper...

first off, the old, cheapo, little dinky ones I had on there...

got em for like $10 at my old job... can't really complain, they served their purpose for over a year...

but recently I noticed one had a broken lense, so I got some new ones with money from my new job

MUCHO EL BRIGHTERO!

kinda blurry, took em from my phone...

huge difference though, both in size, and how much light they produce. had to make the mounting holes a lil bigger, and they just barely fit in front of the grill, they stick out some, but all is well... only thing I have to do now is upgrade the main power wire leading from the battery to the fuse, then from the fuse to the relay... the wire's not quite thick anough to carry the juice for both 100watt lights... I changed the relay to a better one, but didn't have the time to go and get wire, a fuse holder, and a fuse to install... maybe I'll hit that this weekend and pick the stuff up when I go to get my u-joints... not gunna be using them for now, so no worries...

for 2 100watt bulbs, what do yall think, a 40amp fuse will do?

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 09-10-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock off KC's?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Knock off KC's?
haha, yeah, basically. we used 8 of em on my buddies Dakota woods truck; 4 facing forward on the roll bar, 2 facing out to the side, and 2 facing back. they've lasted for years now, no rust, and are bright as all hell, so I thought I'd give em a shot; till I get my procomp bar for the front, then I'm installing hella's

I need to get some covers for them though...
Old 09-10-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
40 amp?

you need to size the fuse for the wire and the wire for the load.

200 watts @ 12v = 16.5A

you're looking @ a 20 amp fuse and at least 16 awg wire, you'd be better off with 14 awg, and will actually get brighter lights because there will be less voltage drop
Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a pair with wiring made by hella, they are optilux 9000 I believe, 100 w bulbs for like $40 at advance. Best set of lights I've ever had. And they look like KC's so I get the cool factor I don't like the chrome though.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
40 amp?

you need to size the fuse for the wire and the wire for the load.

200 watts @ 12v = 16.5A

you're looking @ a 20 amp fuse and at least 16 awg wire, you'd be better off with 14 awg, and will actually get brighter lights because there will be less voltage drop
oh, nm, for some reason I was thinking the fuse to my old cheapo's was a 30a, it was a 15a

what's funny is what it did to that fuse...

AND THAT FUSE STILL WORKED!

lol

but yeah, I don't even have a fues in the block right now, I took it out to keep my from even TRYING to turn them on... I turned them on with a 40a in the block just to test the wiring and make sure they worked, but after about 30 seconds of being on, I noticed the main power wire was getting a bit warm...

Originally Posted by hmmwv15
I got a pair with wiring made by hella, they are optilux 9000 I believe, 100 w bulbs for like $40 at advance. Best set of lights I've ever had. And they look like KC's so I get the cool factor I don't like the chrome though.
yeah, if I would have been thinking (or rather had the time) I would have blacked em out before installing them, but I guess they blend in with the rest of the chrome on the front of the truck...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 09-10-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
hmm... looks good... another idea, my buddy and i got together and i came up with the idea of wiring them through my high-beams... works like a charm, and whats even better is that when i turn my highs on, not onlydo i get the projecting light, i get the flood to the sides of the truck from the stock headlamps too... if anyone wants to see how i did it, then i can post up some pics of it...
Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
please tell me your using a relay
Old 09-11-2008, 03:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
please tell me your using a relay
lol, yes, I'm using a relay...

Originally Posted by space-junk
hmm... looks good... another idea, my buddy and i got together and i came up with the idea of wiring them through my high-beams... works like a charm, and whats even better is that when i turn my highs on, not onlydo i get the projecting light, i get the flood to the sides of the truck from the stock headlamps too... if anyone wants to see how i did it, then i can post up some pics of it...
I've done that with some in the past, but I like total control over my lights... I just have a togle on the dash to turn em on or off, regardless if the headlights are on or of. the ignition has to be on though to "arm" the swith that kicks in the relay
Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
how'd you manage that? I tried, but decided it was too much work because of the way the lights are switched. I do however have mine setup so that the headlights need to be on either high or low to have the driving lights on to save my battery.