86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Would I trade the Flamedtruck for an FJC

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I'll have to think about that for a little bit.

Fink
Old 01-21-2006, 11:52 AM

Not trading your truck is something you will regret. I think a 1990 truck is a head-ache waiting to happen, it's not going to be reliable for another 215,000 miles if that's what you're thinking. It's still a slow old truck with a notoriously bad engine, but with a face-lift.

ditch it, and do it quick.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

hey phil!

seeing as how you bought flamed that way and didnt 'make it yours' so to speak right from the start, i would consider the deal seriously. what ever vehicle you end up with, you can 'make it yours' and have that 'connection' that folks have for their vehicles. flamed is a very unique truck, the cool factor is way up there and ill bet its a blast to have people compliment you on it. now is the time to bid a fond farewell to it and bring forth the phoenix!

good luck and make that killer deal!

lee
Old 01-21-2006, 04:55 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
It's more "mine" than the POs, if it weren't for the paint he would never recognise it, I've redone the interior and totally reworked the dash. It was a near-stock street truck when I got it (and a show winner, you should see the trophies he has.) The lift, gears, tires, flares, bumpers, winch, all that sort of stuff is mine. I wonder what he'd think of what I've done to it...

I've never owned a "normal" vehicle, there's always been something special - muscle cars, collector cars, custom stuff, unique paint - something. Even the F150 has a few add-ons to make it stand out in the parking lot. The only one I ever regretted selling was the 85 4Runner. Even that I have to remind myself that it was getting pretty ratty by the time I unloaded it and was glad to sell it. Oh, and - the new owner rolled it...

I think if he really wants to do this, I'd be an idiot not to. I'll lose one kind of "fun factor" but will gain a better one - something that's just a pleasure to drive and use (and is comfortable and powerful and quiet and not tiring to drive 200 miles up the freeway.... ) I wonder how soon lifts will be available for the FJC? - gotta get 35s under there....
Old 01-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Seriously, id have to say you'd be a fool not to.. I understand the connection with your truck and everything- but it does have 218k, is 15/16 years old, and this is a BRAND NEW FJ... I think that youll get *Plenty of attention in it..
Old 01-21-2006, 07:21 PM

Is your truck worth as much as an FJ to you? I would get the FJ if I was in your shoes. You will most likely miss your truck a little but when you jump in that Cruiser and go down the highway or trail your lips will curl up in what we call a "smile". Just add your signature to the FJ and I'm sure you'll be happy.
ps your truck is very nice!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The FJ Cruiser is a little more advanced from an offroad point than a '05 plus Tacoma. The FJ cruiser will have the electronic locking rear diff like the TAcoma has, but it will also have Traction control which will control wheel spin and give torque to the wheels that need it (but you can't have both the locking diff and traction control on at the same time, it's one or the other). Plus stock sliders. The stock sliders and traction control alone I feel will make it a bit better offroad machine than the '05 plus Taco's. But then again the Taco is an awesome looking truck.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Cool

Well......I'm gonna have to switch to the other side of the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedx4

One more thing - I know for a fact that this guy won't take care of the truck, it will fall into disrepair and become part of his collection of vehicles that 'almost' run... I really hate that thought. Silly I know, but most of you I think will understand.

Do it. Like Filthyritch said, wait till he gets board with it.

Quote "Then buy it back for stupid cheap and make it even SWEETER. Plus, you will have an new FJ cruierser "

Can't argue with that logic!!
Especialy after getting a good lok at that FJ.......Mmmmmmm...FJ......Sweet.
Whatever you do...Do it soon.....The suspense is killing me!
Good Luck!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 06:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CoedNaked
But then again the Taco is an awesome looking truck.
Your kidding right? I'm so dissapointed with the taco I...

FJ has a lot more then that going for it: Better frame, better front drive train, shorter wheelbase. Only thing I don't like about the FJ is the fulltime 4wd, thats gotta be worth 3-4 mpg right there. And on a harda$$ built truck like it seems to be, totally unnecessary. I'd take one over 2 tacos anyday, or maybe I'd take the tacos, sell them and get one SWEET FJ.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yea and paint the whole thing black when you get it. Then it will be sweet lookin.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:09 PM

If I get one, mine will most definitely NOT have traction control.

(and I've had enough black vehicles - Never Again!)
Old 01-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned

i think you might have too... the ATRAC is in the same option package as the locker
Old 01-22-2006, 01:53 PM

Now by no stretch of the imagination am I a Landrover fan. But you have to admit one of the reason's Landrovers have garnered, some, not a lot, but some popularity for offroad driving is because they pioneered traction control. There systems put torque to the wheels that need it, not the ones that come off the ground. My understanding i they are also a little more of a predictable system than a locker, sort of like a "smart locker," if that's one way to put it. Tell me how many wheeling mags have you read where they show pictures and talk about some trail they are running, and you'll see pictures on the trail of a jacked up Jeep, a jacked up Toyota, and then buddy in his stock landrover. It's because of those traction control systems.

Put yourself into a stock FJ Cruiser with 2 prodiguous traction control systems, ATRAC, and a Rear locker at your disposal, stock sliders, and put some bigger meats on it, and you'll take that thing into just about anywhere you want to go save for places that might be better off with a solid front axle.

And the proof is in the pudding. JOe whatever his name is took the FJ Cruiser with 33" BFG all Terrains (265/70/17) through the Rubicon with NO body damage with just those systems.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 AM

I have been on this forum for a while and never posted anything but you can not get rid of that sweet ride! You will kick yourself in the pants if you get rid of it. Especially if you know that the guy isn't going to care as good of care of it as you do!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Now by no stretch of the imagination am I a Landrover fan. But you have to admit one of the reason's Landrovers have garnered, some, not a lot, but some popularity for offroad driving is because they pioneered traction control. There systems put torque to the wheels that need it, not the ones that come off the ground. My understanding i they are also a little more of a predictable system than a locker, sort of like a "smart locker," if that's one way to put it. Tell me how many wheeling mags have you read where they show pictures and talk about some trail they are running, and you'll see pictures on the trail of a jacked up Jeep, a jacked up Toyota, and then buddy in his stock landrover. It's because of those traction control systems.

Put yourself into a stock FJ Cruiser with 2 prodiguous traction control systems, ATRAC, and a Rear locker at your disposal, stock sliders, and put some bigger meats on it, and you'll take that thing into just about anywhere you want to go save for places that might be better off with a solid front axle.

And the proof is in the pudding. JOe whatever his name is took the FJ Cruiser with 33" BFG all Terrains (265/70/17) through the Rubicon with NO body damage with just those systems.

I get what you're saying, and don't entirely disagree. But only one out of a hundred thousand Land/RangeRovers EVER get dirty. Their popularity is the image, not the fact of offroadability. And those electronic systems are troublesome (especially in British products.) They do allow Mrs Minivers to go down the muddy trail to the cabin with no skillz required, that is true.

REad the first post in this thread - I have been in the same type of situations with hi tech systems, and I've also 'coasted' halfway across the state because the ABS insisted on thwarting my efforts to stop (which incidently wouldn't have happened if I'd had a manual trans) - I prefer to use my lifetime of skill, which I know works in all situations...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/vsc-trac-defeating-anyone-closer-45793/

Oh, and the Rubicon has multiple routes - A Full Size Dodge truck has run the 'con, and so has a Volvo wagon. Doesn't mean much these days - it just depends on what route you take. The Devout Hardcore Route cannot be done without big tires, real lockers, and body protection, no matter who you are, and even then You Will Damage It.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 01-31-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Holtzy
I have been on this forum for a while and never posted anything but you can not get rid of that sweet ride! You will kick yourself in the pants if you get rid of it. Especially if you know that the guy isn't going to care as good of care of it as you do!

Well, I have agreed to sell it.

I may still buy an FJ, I find out today what equipment is on the one with my name tentatively on it. I have to decide quickly though, my father's fishing buddy/ toyota dealership owner will only be nice to me for so long...

Or I may just buy (shhh, don't tell anyone...) a used TJ all modified up for a bashabout trail rig and put the rest in the bank.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by garrett1478
i think you might have too... the ATRAC is in the same option package as the locker
No, the MT will have the rear locker standard.
With AT, the rear locker only comes with the option pkg.
The description is a little fuzzy the way it's worded.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:08 AM

sell it. Not many times in life you can sell a vehicle for more than you have in it.
You have to cash in when the oportunity presents itself.

You can customize your next vehicle..

I know you have already made your decision..just wanted to put my 2 cents in..
Old 01-31-2006, 11:52 AM

At the very least keep up your CarDomain listing so that we can still enjoy seeing your truck now & then. It gives others ideas and inspiration on how to mod their rides!
Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Give him my phone number. I'll take the call as soon as I get back from Juarez to get the '95 flamed.

I love my '95, probably as much as you love your Flamed, but dependable, capable new machinery usually takes precedence over old machinery.

Unless, of course, we're talking about an old Bugatti, Alfa, Duesie, etc....

Take the FJC...you can always customize it with a waterfall and sushi bar.

Quick Reply: Would I trade the Flamedtruck for an FJC