Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Would I trade the Flamedtruck for an FJC

Old 01-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flamedx4

One more thing - I know for a fact that this guy won't take care of the truck, it will fall into disrepair and become part of his collection of vehicles that 'almost' run... I really hate that thought. Silly I know, but most of you I think will understand.
Then buy it back for stupid cheap and make it even SWEETER. Plus, you will have an new FJ cruierser
my $0.02
Old 01-20-2006, 09:53 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA

Now THAT's a good plan!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is not a doubt in my mind that I would trade it for a new FJ, just make sure you get the one with the e locker. Even if you only get it and sell it, it is completely worth it. Hell, if he has the money, tell him to give you the equivalent in cash and go buy an old FJ-40 and mod the christ out of it. Not everybody has one of those! The way I see it, the flamedx4 is nearing the end of its useful life, soon it will become full of costly repairs. If you are looking to make it more wheelable you will end up wheeling it and bashing it, do you want to be original in a, "that truck used to be sweet" kind of way? Get the FJ!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:33 AM

I have been looking at this thread for a while without knowing what to respond. I wish I was in your spot and had the decision to make. You have a sweet truck! I think I came up with something.
As far as it being a seriously original rig, and getting looks and comments wherever you go, that has got to feel good. I get a lot of comments on mine. I can not fathom how many you must get. Of course I would want to hang onto it. This is more the emotional side.
BUT: I think on the logical side, getting a brand new FJ would be a better decision. It will do great off-road, it has more power and better gas mileage, and it is going to last a helluva lot longer with way less repairs needed.
I say go for it before the guy moves on to another playtoy he can not live without. It sounds like he has a short attention span. I do not mean that bad, I might also if I had a lot of money to throw around. Plus, make sure to keep in contact with him so when he gets bored with it you can buy it back. Or just give him my number!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
Then buy it back for stupid cheap and make it even SWEETER. Plus, you will have an new FJ cruierser
DO IT.
i know exactly what you mean about people who ruin what you slaved over and you cant do much but watch it die a slow painful death.
opportunity knocks once but you dont have to answer
Old 01-20-2006, 11:23 AM

$25k for a flamed '90? You'd prob get $5k for it without the paint job. That leaves 20k. Is the paint job worth that much?

IMO, any guy willing to do that is not right in the head. If he's serious about the deal, take it and run. Then if you start feeling remorse, flame the FJ as others have already mentioned.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:48 AM

100 times NO! Think of all the time you put into modding it (and bonding with it). Look at how UNIQUE it is! Remember how it feels to cruise town and know people envy you, and the respect you get from all of us auto/truck enthusiasts. That is a show truck, and it belongs in magazines and shows to inspire the next generation of kids to build their own dream truck. It's too nice to let someone neglect it. If it makes you happy owning it, then you ARE going to regret selling it. It's like the first time you fall in love with a girl - you never really love someone quite the same way again. It can't ever be replaced. How would you feel if it got stolen, then recovered and returned to you, but with a few things messed up? Violated, right? Even though you got it back, you'll never look at it or feel the same way about it again. So even if you could buy it back later, you'll never feel the same way about it again.

Two words: Seller's remorse.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Banned

i think you should get it. as chris put it, where else are you gonna get an offer like this? this is a deal of a lifetime. if you're gonna wheel it, get it. it has awesome power, i've ridden in a 4.0L, and its amazing. it has a factory locker, 6 speed transmission, the works. that one picture from SEMA of the FJ with an arb was bad azz.

look at it this way. you know whos buying your truck, you know where to find it, and you know he's insane, in case you regret it and want to buy it back.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:10 PM

That is seriously a tough call. I joke about selling my runner all the time, and its only an '01. I could never do it. There will always be plenty of FJs(even though they are ugly), Granted there are a lot of 90 extended cabs too, but they will get increasingly harder to find. If the money is what bothers you Id say do it. If you cant afford the repairs, and its getting to be a hassle, I might end up trading it too. On the other hand, if its a daily driver, or you need the cash, or a new truck, I might suggest doing it. But the flamed truck is one a of a kind, you may never be able to get another that is the same.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:13 PM

Exclamation

But it may be damaged by the time you decide to buy it back. It would be next to impossible to fix that paint job if something "happened" to it. Keep the truck, do a 3.4 swap for more power and 3M chipguard to protect the paint. Or, buy a 2wd xtracab truck (same body) with a lower mileage v6 or even a v8 swap, and swap bodies and engines, then sell the guy the 2wd truck. Then you have a good engine, and a new body to paint up and not
worry about wrecking while 'wheeling! Just a thought...

Also consider the cost of insurance and registration on a brand new vehicle vs. an older truck. I'll never own anything newer than 10 years old for that reason. Anyway, I hope you decide to keep it.

Last edited by Radyota; 01-20-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:53 PM

If anything... get the FJ, sell it back, find an '85, do an engine swap and all the suspension/drivetrain/body work you could want, flame it, and still have a profit.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Banned

Old 01-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Do it, but see if you can get cash instead. buy a used taco and with the leftover cash, mod it to your liking.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:45 PM

Anyone else think the new FJs are ugly? Neat, but ugly.

Lamm
Old 01-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
Anyone else think the new FJs are ugly? Neat, but ugly.

Lamm
I thought the same thing about the 5th gen 4r, now I love it. Go figure.

I would do it before he changes his mind or buys something else.
No offense, but you will never get another offer like this
Old 01-20-2006, 09:37 PM

5th gen, do you mean 4th or do I live under a rock? Vehicles looks get better with time to me, but right now, the new FJ is pretty bad. There arn't many brand new vehicles that I like a lot to tell you the truth. Even the new tacomas are a bit too much.

Lamm
Old 01-20-2006, 09:57 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
5th gen, do you mean 4th or do I live under a rock? Vehicles looks get better with time to me, but right now, the new FJ is pretty bad. There arn't many brand new vehicles that I like a lot to tell you the truth. Even the new tacomas are a bit too much.

Lamm
"neat but ugly." That's kinda how I feel about it too. But I've driven a new Taco 4.0 6 speed and Oh. My. It is nice. Very very nice. I expect the FJ to feel similar, and the whole package suits me perfectly.
Actually, I REALLY like the H3, inside and out. But that 5 cyl Colorado engine is a 100% deal breaker. Feels even slower than the 3.surelyyoujoke. If the H3 had and engine as good as the 4.0 I'd probably already have one.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:00 PM

I have read that a diesel in in the H3s future! It may be my first NEW car, that or a Dodge Powerwagon. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Lamm
Old 01-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

i'd rather have a cherry OLD LC than a cherry NEW one.
i dunno, the '90 is sweet. maybe you can wrangle a sick cash deal...
Old 01-21-2006, 10:32 AM

If I knew someone would take a nice truck I built up or took good care of and turned it into a heaping pile of crap I wouldn't sell it to him. Maybe that's just me but I hate seeing a good thing ruined. Maybe this is a sentimental/emotional attachment I am reflecting upon but that's me. From a strictly dollars and cents standpoint, yeah, trading him your truck for an FJ makes fiscal sense. But if you have any sort of love for your current truck, any minute attachment to it, I would think you'd have a hard time selling it with that in the back of your mind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would I trade the Flamedtruck for an FJC