Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Would Gas Mileage Decrease?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would Gas Mileage Decrease?

Hey everyone...

got my 88 4wd toyota truck up running again it needs timing done to it as well as some head work but it will get fixed eventually when i have time...

i am getting ready to buy some LCE headers as i am planning on running a CA legal with sticker header with stock exhaust just to add some power to it....

as well as the headers i will be doing a battery intake swap soon but was wondering if this effects gas mileage or if the headers effect gas mileage...

for the bat/intake swap would i be able to route part of the original intake housing or do i need to buy something like a elbowed pvc pipe?

i had in mind to cold air the truck with headers and magnaflow exhaust but im not sure yet which is the best route...would i see better performance if i just get a maf connector and just cone filter directly from the intake swap than a cold air with box?

i am barely getting places on a full tank of gas $70 due to the head and timing problems...

just wanted to hear some input i used the search function and found various answers so i ask now...
Old 06-30-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 88 22re is stock intake and exhaust manifolds, 2" pipe from the downpipe to a CA legal magnaflow converter, 2" pipe to a magnaflow muffler (don't know the number) and 2" out behind the axle. A couple weeks ago, I drove from Temecula, CA to Seaside, OR and averaged about 20mpg with the A/C on, about 300 miles per tank. Doesn't really seem to matter where or how I drive it but about 20-22 mpg is what I get... okay that's an exaggeration: 4wd and lo range hurt mileage.

The stock exhaust manifold and downpipe are a decent balance between 4-1 and 4-2-1 (tri-y) for hp and torque, not that a different manifold won't increase performance, but headers will tend to move the powerband around, and maybe put it outside of where you normally operate the truck.

Battery / AFM swap could help throttle response and lower intake temps a little bit since the air won't be travelling across the top of the radiator... but the length of time air spends in the tube means a very small increase in temps. The biggest benefit is from maintaining a constant diameter pipe from the filter to the throttle instead of the pipe squishing after the air filter to cross the radiator- less turbulance and restriction.

A MAF conversion for your truck 'could' help performance, if the ECU could use it effectively, but I don't remember the last time I saw one for sale for these trucks. And then, that would not be CA emissions compliant, so why bother with CARB legal headers and such?

Last edited by abecedarian; 06-30-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would recommend that you get the timing and other problems fixed before you do anything else to your truck.

For the battery / intake swap you can try and use part of the original intake, but you will probably end up buying an elbow and other needed parts. From what ive read here from others that have done this swap, you gain a little better throttle response, but as far as power gains or better gas mileage, maybe a little gain but not a whole lot.

The header will help some, but not a huge amount on a stock engine. Aslo, these trucks don`t have a MAF, they use an AFM (air flow meter) its totally different than a MAF set up.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:29 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

These engines make the power in the head if you have bad valves and your timing is not correct that will cause very poor gas mileage.

I would do these things before the keep up with the neighbors mods.

Going with a 2" exhaust from the stock manifold and down pipe is about the best and most helpful thing that will get you any performance boost.

For what it is worth the 3rd generation Celicas had the air intake on the right side of the engine .
Old 07-01-2012, 12:43 AM

thanks everyone...i am going to fix the timing as well as whatever else needs to be done to the engine first....

so as for the headers, its better to stick with stock everything and just come connected with say a 2" magnaflow and this will be better than say LCE headers connected to the original exhaust?

the battery intake swap: would i see gains to just put a k&n filter in the stock box and leave it untouched battery/intake wise?

thanks again
Old 07-01-2012, 12:56 AM

Wink

If your were spending the money to buy a new head with a cam and oversize valves then I could see also going with a header. and also improving the air intake system

I have been running Wix Filters in all my Toyotas buy them buy the case

If you live any place it gets cold and snows stay away from the cone filters .

Money can better be spent on tune ups and things like electrical and brake upgrades .

This is not a engine that will make lots of horse power it can be done but not as a low budget project.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:53 AM

yeah i guess...well ill check when i fix all the engine problems to see how its running and if its worth adding the money in it...i might to a 22rte swap but idk yet ill have to see...
Old 07-01-2012, 01:07 PM

Red face

For the trouble of going to a stock 22RTE and the gain of only around 40 Horse power ..

i would go with a 3.4 i have both and the 3.4 will run circles around the the 22RTE .

Throw 900 pounds in the back you only have to know it is there when stopping
Old 07-04-2012, 12:11 PM

i know what you mean...but we have a 22rte laying around in our shop that was going to be put on a 4runner and it runs perfect just sitting...but idk yet i need to see whats the problem on my engine and if i will even do engine mods...like you guys said...its going to take a lot to get it "fast." but i might add in some lce headers with magnaflow exhaust??

Last edited by Justin-Toyota; 07-04-2012 at 11:01 PM.