86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Window Switch Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Switch Woes

Im having a very interesting problem I can't seem to diagnose after researching where on my drivers side combo switch everything works except the passenger window switch, and when I recieved the car the stock passenger switch was gone so I decided to get a cheap aftermarket switch from Switch Doctor on Amazon and that would still operate the passenger window. However, recently the passneger side switch physically broke so I decided it was time to fix the ds combo switch.

I did look that apparently the constant use and arcing over time can sometimes leave carbon deposits can not let the current pass through so I opened up the combo switch and cleaned all of carbon deposits that werent too bad and even tried to use emery cloth so it would have a better connection with the fresh metal. This didnt change a thing when I plugged it in and gave it a shot

I dont know if the passenger side switch needs to be all together for it to operate from the drivers side, so that could be the culprit because currently the rocker mechanism isnt in it. I would doubt a breaker or relay because all of the other switches work fine on the combo switch, only the passenger side window switch on the combo doesnt work. Anybody have an idea what could be my problem and if anyone knows a good aftermarket replacement for the passenger switch would be really nice I have the gray interior but anything will work

Edit: Forgot to mention that the passneger window switch on the combo didnt work even when the passenger side had a working switch

Last edited by DIRT8IKE; 07-21-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Geez, DIRT8IKE. Ever heard of Periods? Sentences? Try reading your post out loud. Can even YOU understand it?

1. The driver's-side window switch will NOT operate the passenger window if the passenger-side switch is missing. Here's the schematic:
http://web.archive.org/web/201102052.../7powerwin.pdf

2. You have an electrical problem. You MUST use a multimeter. The cited page tells you how to diagnose the switch. You can pretty much figure that all the time you spent "cleaning" the driver's side switch was wasted -- you can't tell what is wrong without the correct (and very cheap) tool.

3. The passenger side switch is 84810-32070, available from online Toyota Dealers for about $50. https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/T...481032070.html But for you: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Powe...787853560.html $7.50 - delivered.

4. Your emery-cloth-work is likely to have wrecked your driver's side switch. For THIS kind of money, I'd just replace it. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8482...867060802.html (The OEM Switch is close to $200) You STILL have to test the old switch; otherwise you may end up removing a perfectly GOOD switch because you never found the problem.

Disclaimer: I order a lot of stuff from AliExpress, but they're just a marketplace. I have no idea if these particular switches are any good. YMMV.

Last edited by scope103; 07-21-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:32 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
you need to also check the wiring as it goes though the door to the area under the kick panel..lots of crap to get kinked through the years too.

One thing I found doing PM's on commo equipment in the military is that a pencil eraser cleans contacts awesome with out taking metal away from the contacts. Scope could be right about you screwing up even worse with the emery cloth...

and it helps to say that you are working on, consider adding it to your signature:

IE: 93 4Runner Auto 3.0..
See Scope103's sig above for a great example.
Having that info helps narrow down issues...
Old 07-21-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoot sorry, that's my bad reading it back now it kind of is a garbled mess. Was writing it in on my phone and I probably just let my words get away from me. That's probably also why my sig didn't show up too sorry that's my bad.

Hopefully I didn't mess up anything with the emery cloth but I did it very lightly so I doubt it, but it still could be possible so I'll remember that. Thank you for the insight it;s good to know for future reference too. Should have mentioned this, but since I thought my sig had shown up I didn't include it. I have an 87 and I have the door trim type switches. I'll do some probing for continuity and check the kick panels to see if something got kinked. or there's a short. I'll also look into getting the replacement passenger side switch thank you guys really, sorry it was a bit of a pain to read and it wasn't all too clear at first what I was working on I'll make sure to post what exactly problem is when I find it

Last edited by DIRT8IKE; 07-21-2018 at 01:37 PM.