Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Why is pumping gas a chore?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is pumping gas a chore?

I have a '95 base model pickup, and it is a pain in the ass to fill the tank. The gas nozzle needs to be held in the filler the whole time or it will eject itself. The more annoying part is that the nozzle will auto shut off a bunch of times randomly way before the tank is full.
Is this just me, or does everyone have this problem? I guess the rubber bellow seals on the nozzles that are supposed to prevent gas vapors from escaping are the culprit? I'm in California, if that makes a difference?
Old 10-03-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
I have never had that problem... although I live in Oregon, where we don't pump our own gas.

The gas station attendants never seem to have a problem keeping the nozzle in the fuel filler and the nozzle only shuts off when the tank is full.

I have a 1987 truck, but they should be about the same.

Does this happen at other gas stations?

Can you see any damage to the filler neck?

Maybe California gas pumps are different than the rest of the US.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
When I fill mine the nozzle will click off if it isn't in at the right angle. I believe it is that the fuel sloshes back if the fuel isn't flowing completely unobstructed.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Does this happen at other gas stations?
Can you see any damage to the filler neck?
Maybe California gas pumps are different than the rest of the US.
Yes, every station I go to. It's like the nozzles aren't long enough to stay in the filler.
Maybe it is a CA thing? All the pumps have rubber bellows (as seen in the photo below) around them that are there to prevent vapor release. I thought these were nation wide though, and they don't pose a problem with my jeep or the gf's civic. It has been a while since I pumped gas in any other state.

No obvious damage to the filler or that side of the truck for that matter
Old 10-03-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by personality
Yes, every station I go to. It's like the nozzles aren't long enough to stay in the filler.
Maybe it is a CA thing? All the pumps have rubber bellows (as seen in the photo below) around them that are there to prevent vapor release.
Actually the bellows on Calif. pumps were discontinued in 2012
www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/politics/epa-gas-pump-handles/index.html

But alas, Its still a pain as the nozzle end seems to be a little short and not angled enough for our older rigs.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I bought a truck and someone had a garden hose stuck in the fill tube. Apparently some one was trying to steal the fuel out of it. I have dealt with the gas nozzles that you are talking about. I would pull the fuel tube and see it is jammed up with something.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by personality
I have a '95 base model pickup, and it is a pain in the ass to fill the tank. The gas nozzle needs to be held in the filler the whole time or it will eject itself. The more annoying part is that the nozzle will auto shut off a bunch of times randomly way before the tank is full.
Is this just me, or does everyone have this problem? I guess the rubber bellow seals on the nozzles that are supposed to prevent gas vapors from escaping are the culprit? I'm in California, if that makes a difference?
It's not just you! For some reason I thought I was the only one. I have a 94 Hilux 4x4 and when I first got the truck I went to the gas station. After setting it up and getting the gas flowing the CURSED NOZZLE JUMPED RIGHT OUT and fell to the ground! I felt like a complete idiot! The angle that the nozzle has to be in order to pump gas into the tank is weird. Now I always put a little weight on the nozzle and I never leave it unattended when fueling up. It's irritating! I think it's a flaw in the design.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Similar/related issue on mine. I have to hold the nozzle at a steeper angle, such that the mentioned rubber seal is not even flush with the base of the opening (not sealing). I just hold it that way but I move as far as possible and face away so I don't inhale the fumes.
There were very few places I drove through where there is no such vapor-return seal and I could leave the nozzle latched. However, others also pop shut when I let go of the nozzle. I think those places are also outside CA.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
I just hold it that way but I move as far as possible and face away so I don't inhale the fumes.
Uh Oh, I have always inhaled the fumes.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I fuel so many different vehicles anymore I just correct to make things work

I always fuel at the slowest speed .
Old 10-04-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Yep. My 93 pickup is the only vehicle in my fleet that has issues when filling it up. Can't use the trigger holder thingy for auto-fill because it always clicks off after like 2 seconds and shuts off. It's the ONLY vehicle I've ever filled up that has had the whole gas dispenser gun fall out of the truck when the click happened, which was freaky - it also put about 1/3 gallon of gas on the ground - thus I stand there and baby it. Heck, even my 75 Hilux has no issue at the gas station, go figure.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always had to "hold" the nozzle at a "steep" angle to get it to fill and not click off.

BTW - I've also had this issue on a Volvo 240 wagon of a similar era (late 1980s)

I think its way the filler neck is designed wonky.
But fixing it, isn't worth the effort.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by ksti
Uh Oh, I have always inhaled the fumes.
LOLOL!

Originally Posted by ewong
I've always had to "hold" the nozzle at a "steep" angle to get it to fill and not click off.
I think its way the filler neck is designed wonky...
Probably this.

So I am not alone after all... LOL!
Old 10-06-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here. I have no problems filling up, but the gas nozzle will fall out if I'm not holding it. Or it will stay in but fall from any little disturbance.

Last edited by yota tay; 10-06-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:10 PM

I don't have to hold it in at a certain angle. If I shove the nozzle in the hole sufficiently it stays in until the full load is delivered.

I wondering if I am on the right site - everyone is talking about the angle of their nozzles.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
I don't have to hold it in at a certain angle. If I shove the nozzle in the hole sufficiently it stays in until the full load is delivered.

I wondering if I am on the right site - everyone is talking about the angle of their nozzles.
Yes, the gas nozzle with the prophylactic boot on it in the short movie that shown above.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by ksti
Yes, the gas nozzle with the prophylactic boot on it in the short movie that shown above.
Good to know everyone is practicing safe pumping".
Old 10-07-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I need a cute girl to ride along and pump gas and wash the windows check the air in the tires
Old 10-15-2017, 07:34 PM

Same issue here in California. Haven't tried other states yet.

Have to hold it with firm pressure or it will shut off.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:08 PM

My 92EC 4x4 also drops out, Even with the short rubber on the nozzle., My ex 924R did not.
The 4R angle is more vertical then the PU.