86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

whirring knock in my 22re

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whirring knock in my 22re

I have read all of the posts. I read about the clicks and the knocks but I have not found anything I will now describe. When I accelerate my 22RE has a loud whirring slight knock sound when cold. As it gets to normal temp the noise almost subsides, but I can still barely hear it as I accelerate. It also does it as I rev it up in neutral. I have taken off the belts and still hear the noise. I took off each plug wire one at a time to isolate each cylinder and still the noise. I have good power and use no oil. I listened through the screwdriver and it seemed not to come through the valve cover but maybe near the throttle body somewhere. I changed from 10-40 oil to 5-30, thinking a rod bearing was not getting lubed when cold...still the noise. It seems to have gotten worse lately but when the engine is up to temp it sounds like a great running engine if you would listen to it idle. If I rev it up in neutral you can just hear the whir-knock. Could it be the egr or some other sensor? Any help out there..thanks

Last edited by yotaknows; 03-29-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:01 AM

It may be a bearing but if it hasn't been getting any worse and it sounds like it is from the top of the motor than it may be in your valves. Try adjusting them according to the manual and see if it gets any better. It's very easy to do.

While you have the cover off, check the tining chain guides with a flash light to be sure they are both still there. When they wear out it can also make the sound you describe due to the chain hitting the side of the cover when it has slack.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:31 PM

I will try adjusting valves today..thanks for the response and I will let you know what happens...
Old 03-27-2006, 05:58 PM

I adjusted the valves ..checked the guides...exhaust valves were a bit tight but other than that everything looked fine...I still think it has something to do with temp...something like a gasket or egr or ? ...It doesn't sound like a knock but more like a whirring with a hint of knock...under load when cold it is loud but calms down when temp gets normal...I am open for suggestions..thanks for looking...yotadoesn'tknow
Old 03-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

did you check cam chain and plastic guides while you had the valve cover off?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:37 PM

The chain looked good and had no slop in it..guides also looked good. Thanks..I think maybe I will drop the oil pan and look for metal shavings or ?..
Old 03-29-2006, 07:55 AM

After adjusting the valves I have found that the whirring noise has been a little quieter when the engine is at normal temp. At idle it sounds great... reving or putting a load on creates the noise, but not as bad now. Since the exhaust valves were a little tight could there be damage to the camshaft or valves and would the result be this whirring/knock noise? By the way when the engine is cold the noise is still loud. And it is a fast whirring knock...hard to describe. Thanks to all that responded..it all helps.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Exhaust leak in the header?

Old 03-29-2006, 08:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yup, a "whirring knock" sounds like an exhaust leak to me. exhaust leaks are the masters of disguise when it comes to engine noise. i've had them sound like everything from rattly valves to rod knocks!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:04 AM

Thanks...I will check it and get back to you all...
Old 03-29-2006, 10:12 AM

I have the same if not close problem as the topic creator, except mine is on the 3.0 V6

On a cold start, and after about 20 seconds of idling, an EXTREMELY, I mean EXTREMELY loud tapping/rapping/whirring knock comes from the passenger bank of the engine. I don't know what it is, but the noise makes me cry everytime I hear it. If you drive the car as this noise is happening (on days where you don't let the car warm up and just start up and hit reverse and go...) the car sounds like a pure muscle car V8 exhaust.

Please help me out.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:14 PM

funny symptoms, i have a similar noise (22re) - the best way to describe it would be to say there are gremmlins in the motor before it warms up.

-what's the best way to find an exhaust leak? thanks -Jon
Old 03-29-2006, 09:23 PM

I was thinking soapy water tomorrow when the manifold and everything is cold. I do not see any leaks or feel any. I have no leaks I can hear. The whirring noise seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine, which is opposite of the exhaust. I am going to do a closer listen with a piece of hose. Any thoughts on my testing for leaks with soapy water?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:37 AM

I used some soapy water and started the engine. Found an exhaust leak on the manifold, so I retorqued the bolts when the engine cooled off. They were loose..now no leak....but still have the whirring-knock noise. Still when the engine is cold it is loud, quiets down when temp is normal....accelerating up a hill accentuates the noise..letting off the gas and it finishes off with a wowering sound..how is that for a description? Because it is louder when driving I am the only one that can hear it. I think I might be losing it....I just don't want to get stranded somewhere if this is a rod bearing...Anybody know what piston slap sounds like? Or could the intake manifold be loose and isn't there something I can spray on the intake gasket to see if there is a leak? Thanks for all of the feedback...yotastilldoesntknow
Old 03-31-2006, 06:23 PM

Anybody know what noisy injectors sound like...is there a way to hear if they are making the noise..anyway to isolate them?
Old 04-01-2006, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the injectors won't sound like a knock. they make more of a light tapping sound, and usually you can only hear it on the passenger side of the truck.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same type of sound, but in a not so related way. Mine is because I am low on powersteering fluid....
Old 04-01-2006, 08:55 AM

Thanks kyle..noisy injectors is not the problem....not sure where to go now...maybe intake manifold is not tight?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:27 PM

I am giving up..it must be piston slap....I have been told that I can drive with it....just have to put up with the noise. When the engine is cold it is a very loud whirring knock on acceleration. When the engine warms up, about 80% of the noise goes away. Hope all of this helps somebody else and thanks for all of your ideas...
Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM

I have the same problem. When I start my truck it idles fine and sounds great but as soon as I hit the gas I hear a knock and then it clears. When I drive my truck without letting it warm up, it's pretty loud under loud but always goes away after it gets warm but you can still kinda hear it if you listen really carefully. I heard this was normal on some 22RE engines and I drove a 94' pickup with 22RE and it did the same thing, just not as bad as mine but my motor has a lot more miles on it too. Mines been making the same noise for about 6 months now (since I bought it) and hasn't gotten any worse and still runs great for 205k miles. I plan and doing a motor swap eventually because of the high miles so I'm just going to keep driving it but I don't think it will break... it's a Toyota!

Last edited by ToyYoda; 02-08-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: whirring knock in my 22re