Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

where to get bolts for 5vzfe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:32 PM
RBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to get bolts for 5vzfe?

I need only used ones since I am doing a swap and I am trying not to go to the dealer for these. If anyone know where I could get them, please chime in.

Thanks.
-Chard
Old 09-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RBA
I need only used ones since I am doing a swap and I am trying not to go to the dealer for these. If anyone know where I could get them, please chime in.

Thanks.
-Chard
The 5VZE has many bolts on/in it, which ones are you looking for? I am able to find many bolts I need at ACE or Lowes, but some are special and need to be gotten at the dealer.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:59 PM
RBA

Question

Originally Posted by mastacox
The 5VZE has many bolts on/in it, which ones are you looking for? I am able to find many bolts I need at ACE or Lowes, but some are special and need to be gotten at the dealer.
Brian, I am also doing a swap but the guy that I have gotten the engine parts had them dismantled so now I need to get them to complete the engine. I know that I need to get brand new OEM headbolts while the rest I could get them used. I am starting to get desperate here since I know that new bolts would be an arm and leg.

BTW, do you happen to have a run down list of what bolts you got from ACE or Lowes with the swap and what from the dealer?

-Chard
Old 09-20-2006, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBA
Brian, I am also doing a swap but the guy that I have gotten the engine parts had them dismantled so now I need to get them to complete the engine. I know that I need to get brand new OEM headbolts while the rest I could get them used. I am starting to get desperate here since I know that new bolts would be an arm and leg.

BTW, do you happen to have a run down list of what bolts you got from ACE or Lowes with the swap and what from the dealer?

-Chard
I haven't done a swap, so there's that.

Ace usually has a good selection of grade 8 hardware in standard sizes, but a very limited one in metric. If you know exactly what bolts you are looking for, you can go look at Ace, otherwise you'll have to go dealer...

My suggestion, get a factory service manual (or at least a Hayne's manual) and just look through the entire thing, taking notes on which bolts you will need. Then, go to Ace and look to see which ones they have (you might not need ALL Grade 8 high strength hardware, some might be able to be Grade 5 medium strength) and then the rest from the dealer.

Also, its worthwhile to look around your area for a construction supply store specializing in bolts, nuts, and hardware. There is this place in Tucson called Copper State Nut & Bolt, you could find ANYTHING there, and anything they didn't have in stock they could order.

Finally, there's this incredible website called www.mcmaster.com with a GINORMOUS supply of anything you could ever need. I'm sure you could find most (if not all) of the hardware you need there, but it could be there are some specialty items you'll need to get from the dealer. With McMaster you'll have to know EXACTLY what you want, and possibly buy some extras. They also sell bolt assortments, which might be a good idea if you need lots of different bolts and sizes.

Also: if the engine's apart, you'll need gaskets and stuff, those can only be gotten from the dealer. Why is the engine apart anyway, is there something wrong with it? Did you get a good deal because it was apart? What did the guy that took it apart do with all the hardware?

Good luck.

Last edited by mastacox; 09-20-2006 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Just so you know, on McMaster, you'll be looking for "Cap Screws" on there. You'll probably be most interested in the Standard Hex and Flange Hex, with perhaps a random Serrated Flange Hex if you're feeling saucy

To find a specific size bolt you're looking for, here's the way to go:

Say you're looking for a High Strength M8x1.25 bolt that is 40mm long and rated at Class 10.9

Search for "Bolts" and that will bring up a page that has a bunch of different kinds of bolts shown.

Click "Cap Screws." This gives you a page with all of the possible cap screws they have (its a ˟˟˟˟˟load). Take note, the bottom of the page has "assortments" for you also, if you are looking for several different kinds of screws, and lots of them, this may be the way to go. They are cheap for what you get, anywhere from $100 to $400 and 400 to 2000 screws, nuts, and washers.

Click on "M8" under thread size. This reloads the page to only show all the options for M8 Cap Screws.

Click on "1.25" under Thread Pitch. This reloads the page to show only options for an M8x1.25 Cap Screw.

Click on "Class 10.9" under Grade/Class. this reloads the page to show only options for an M8x1.25 Cap Screw rated at Class 10.9.

Click on the length bolts you are looking for (it should be the length of the body of the bolt under the head.)

Finally, select the finish you want (probably black) and whether you need fully-threaded or partially threaded, and you have the bolt you need! Note that they come in a box of 25 for $5.52, hope you like extras .

Anyway, that's how I would look for bolts I need lots of, or are hard to find/expensive everywhere else.

Last edited by mastacox; 09-20-2006 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just so you know, on McMaster, you'll be looking for "Cap Screws" on there. You'll probably be most interested in the Standard Hex and Flange Hex, with perhaps a random Serrated Flange Hex if you're feeling saucy

To find a specific size bolt you're looking for, here's the way to go:

Say you're looking for a High Strength M8x1.25 bolt that is 40mm long and rated at Class 10.9

Search for "Bolts" and that will bring up a page that has a bunch of different kinds of bolts shown.

Click "Cap Screws." This gives you a page with all of the possible cap screws they have (its a ˟˟˟˟˟load). Take note, the bottom of the page has "assortments" for you also, if you are looking for several different kinds of screws, and lots of them, this may be the way to go. They are cheap for what you get, anywhere from $100 to $400 and 400 to 2000 screws, nuts, and washers.

Click on "M8" under thread size. This reloads the page to only show all the options for M8 Cap Screws.

Click on "1.25" under Thread Pitch. This reloads the page to show only options for an M8x1.25 Cap Screw.

Click on "Class 10.9" under Grade/Class. this reloads the page to show only options for an M8x1.25 Cap Screw rated at Class 10.9.

Click on the length bolts you are looking for (it should be the length of the body of the bolt under the head.)

Finally, select the finish you want (probably black) and whether you need fully-threaded or partially threaded, and you have the bolt you need! Note that they come in a box of 25 for $5.52, hope you like extras .

Anyway, that's how I would look for bolts I need lots of, or are hard to find/expensive everywhere else.
You can always tell a ME when you see one, LOL

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-20-2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
You can always tell a ME when you see one, LOL
See one what? I'm confused
Old 09-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

See one what? I'm confused
Or you may be one of those MAEs huh?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:30 AM

If you find a "good" local hardware store they should have nearly everything you need. My local store, O'Connor's, has way more fastners than Home Depot or Lowes and it's a lot cheaper than the dealer. The only things I haven't been able to find there are special, one of a kind type things.

They even have chrome stuff in metric and ASE, like for motorcycles.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Or you may be one of those MAEs huh?
Oh, ok...

Yeah, Mechanical Engineer I like bolts
Old 09-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Oh, ok...

Yeah, Mechanical Engineer I like bolts
Did you ever see that e-mail going around a few years ago that was titled "you might be an engineer if"? One was you might be an engineer if you have disassembled a $5 radio to fix it. Guilty lol.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

...you might be an engineer if you have disassembled a $5 radio to fix it. Guilty lol.
X2 LOL

While we're at it:

You might be an engineer if... the first thing you do with anything new is take it apart to see how it works.

DEFINITELY guilty on that one, heck I even did that to my new 4Runner