Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where does this go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where does this go? 4wd indicator light? NOW WITH PICS

I have a quick question that hopefully someone can answer:

I'm at work.

I noticed a "wire" hanging down from under my front skid plate. I got down for further inspection and got oil all over my back because my 'Runner leaks live a siv.

If you are looking at the front diff at eye level, there is a wire that is "plugged" into the front diff just to the right of where the cross member connects to the diff. The other end of the wire, with plug, is hanging loose, not attached to anything.

EDIT: ADDED PICS

Anyone have any idea where this goes?

Last edited by grant; 01-30-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:52 PM

4WD light, I beleive. Light want work if it's not plugged in. Not sure if it actually has any affect on 4WD itself, never tested that.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the response. I was hoping it was something easy like that.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JEBSR5
4WD light, I beleive. Light want work if it's not plugged in. Not sure if it actually has any affect on 4WD itself, never tested that.
It's only for the dash light, it'll still go into 4wd just fine, only you won't know it.
Sorry Grant, I can't remember where it connects to. I've been driving a 3rd gen for a while and my memories about my 2nd gen are getting vague. Look around both side of the oil pan and see if you can find a matching plug.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by grant
Thanks for the response. I was hoping it was something easy like that.
It will be on drivers side and probably hanging and hidden by the oil sender or oil filter. The mate to the plug that is. If I remember right a 2 prong.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the response fellas. I busted out the flashlight tonight when I got home from work but I was unable to find the place to plug this in.

Any more specific advice on where this goes? I didn't have a chance to drop the skid but I might have to tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
If it's black/yellow wire, mine is connected to a tab, that's held by two bolts to my engine block. It must be a ground wire of some sort.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-30-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by grant
Thanks for the response fellas. I busted out the flashlight tonight when I got home from work but I was unable to find the place to plug this in.

Any more specific advice on where this goes? I didn't have a chance to drop the skid but I might have to tomorrow.

Thanks.
The mate to it runs across the top of timing cover and down behind distributor. It has two connections, one goes to oil pressure sender right below alternator and below that is the connector for 4WD light switch shown in your picture. If you find the connection to oil pressure sender, follow that and you will find the other one as they share the same wire loom going down.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From the looks of that oil mess below your engine, I'd say that wire is the least of your problems. But on the bright side, you don't have any rust problems.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
From the looks of that oil mess below your engine, I'd say that wire is the least of your problems. But on the bright side, you don't have any rust problems.
You're so optimistic.. !
Old 02-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

I had the same problem on mine, and had to use a couple of small zip ties to hold the connectors together, as the lock tab had broken on it. You will find the other end where the previous folks have told you.

Run the zip ties length-wise along the connetors, and between the wires on each end, and you'll be golden!