Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

where did you guys get your new u bolts when adding blocks???!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where did you guys get your new u bolts when adding blocks???!!

hey guys.

im about to lift my pickup and am doing a shackle/ block combo for the rear. i was wondering where you guys got your extended length square style u bolts from? i was also wondering anybody makes a kit that comes with the blocks and and the square style u bolts and everything???

thanks!
Old 07-05-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Autozone, Advance and pepboys all have them.They have round and square.
They have the kits or just ubolts. Ive used them as lowering blocks also
Old 07-05-2008, 05:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would recomend not using blocks to lift your truck, they can cause more problems than there worth. I know there cheaper than buying springs, but springs are the correct way to lift your truck.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah most places sell them, ditto on the blocks though, they should be used as a temporary lift substitute ONLY while your waiting to buy new springs. if your that low on cash i would just get AAL's instead.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:32 PM

If you live near a TRUCK repair shop (i.e. near the interstate - places that build TRUCK (as in dump truck) springs - they roll and bend em up themselves

Florig - Conshohocken PA
State Line spring - Chester PA
Old 07-05-2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by dbcx
Autozone, Advance and pepboys all have them.They have round and square.
They have the kits or just ubolts. Ive used them as lowering blocks also
oh, cool. every time i checked out their u bold selection i only noticed the round ones.. might have to have them order them.

Originally Posted by myyota
I would recomend not using blocks to lift your truck, they can cause more problems than there worth. I know there cheaper than buying springs, but springs are the correct way to lift your truck.
i understand that its not the best way to lift, but it will have to do for a little while anyways. i was origionaly going to buy 4in springs from the money that i got from selleing my 4runner, but i accidently flew through most of that cash this summer.

Originally Posted by apalmer1
yeah most places sell them, ditto on the blocks though, they should be used as a temporary lift substitute ONLY while your waiting to buy new springs. if your that low on cash i would just get AAL's instead.
im scared that aal are going to make my rear end too bouncy. i was going to do a block/ shackle lift for the rear for now (so i wouldent be running a huge block.), but now that i think about it i could run an aal/ block lift for the rear. (the aal's would probably help out my worn out stock springs.)

Originally Posted by ewong
If you live near a TRUCK repair shop (i.e. near the interstate - places that build TRUCK (as in dump truck) springs - they roll and bend em up themselves

Florig - Conshohocken PA
State Line spring - Chester PA
ill have to look into this.. theres this thing called florida shores truck center 10-15mins. from my house. i dont know if they have the ability to make leaf springs tho...

thanks for all the reply/ suggestions.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:05 PM

I just got a price quote on new springs from a place that services big rigs and stuff like that. for them to custom make my springs for a 3 inch lift it would be 600$. that includes labor. new u-bolts, shackels,and bushings. not bad if you ask me considering i was gonna be spending about 410+shipping on the ome springs. then new u bolts and shackels +having to put them in myself.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AAA Spring in salt lake

http://www.aaaspring.com/
Old 07-06-2008, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by 91YotaExcab
I just got a price quote on new springs from a place that services big rigs and stuff like that. for them to custom make my springs for a 3 inch lift it would be 600$.
You can get a set of Alcans or Deavers for that much!
Old 07-06-2008, 05:05 AM

yea but with all the rust on the bolts holding mine on there. the 600 is well worth it for the springs all the hardware and installation.By the looks of it if i put a ratchet on there and a breaker bar the bolt is just gonna round its self off with all the rust.Everyone ive talked to reccomends these guys highly. I Know a couple guys,one with a jeep,one will a 80's model chevy that both said the springs take all the abuse they can imagine.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:19 AM

$600 dollars is about $500 more than i can spend right now! lol.

thanks guys
Old 07-06-2008, 11:22 AM

yea but with all the rust on the bolts holding mine on there. the 600 is well worth it for the springs all the hardware and installation.By the looks of it if i put a ratchet on there and a breaker bar the bolt is just gonna round its self off with all the rust.Everyone ive talked to reccomends these guys highly. I Know a couple guys,one with a jeep,one will a 80's model chevy that both said the springs take all the abuse they can imagine.
I always have to cut through my spring bolts with a sawzall or grinder to get them off.....

Do you think listening to Jeep and Chevy guys advice on springs is really a good idea?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:29 PM

you got me on that one. i probley shouldent listen to people who ive had to pull out on more that one occasion.I never knew you had to always cut the bolts off any way. That might change my perspective on doing them myself. However ive determined that A rear locker and 488's would make my rig more effective that a lift at this point. Without a lift ive already out wheeled my friends 88 wrangler. then had to drive through it all again in reverse to yank him out.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I've never had to cut a u-bolt off. But not a lot of rust out my way. It helps if you do a u-bolt flip, putting the delicate threads up and away from the rocks. I use the Rancho Grade 8 u-bolts in the 5/8" diameter. They are very strong and I have had the nuts on and off of them dozens of times over the years:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspe...I.shtml#U-Bolt
Old 07-06-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4wheelparts.com has 4" pro-comp springs for 105.95 each and u-bolts for 35.
search "EXP33311". you can also call their toll free number to get more info about whether they'll work on your pickup.
i've got a set on my 4runner. they're firm but not bouncy but might bounce a truck.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I've never had to cut a u-bolt off. But not a lot of rust out my way.
DOH! I need to pay attention to what Im posting! I thought we was talking about spring/shackle bolts not u-bolts.... derrrrrr
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 AM

I've had to cut u-bolts before, too, when the threads or the nut gets goobered from being smashed on the rocks. Definitely try and fit in a u-bolt flip if you are going to offroad it any.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 AM

my u-bolts are not only rusted but smashed to hell as well. what about the shackle bolts? Ill probley have to cut them aswell is that usually what needs to be done anyway?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 AM

my u-bolts are not only rusted but smashed to hell as well. what about the shackle bolts? Ill probley have to cut them aswell is that usually what needs to be done anyway?
Sometimes you can coax them out, but most of the time they get to be one with the bushings and so rusted and screwed up that you have to cut them. If you have an impact (even a $40 Harbor Freight electric one) you can pop them loose sometimes.