86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whats Wrong Here

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats Wrong Here

94 Toy Truck.22re motor. Running bad and had water in oil so I took head off and bad head gasket. Took it to shop and they said they milled 6 thousands off head and told me it looked pretty good not warped bad. Dont know if that's all they did he did say he never took the valves out. I have no idea what they should have done.
Anyhow got the head back and reinstalled it. Did everything by the book I think. Torqued it in 4 different stages up to 58 pounds.
Started it up after got everything bolted on and it started right up. Ran good it seemed but then started smoking . Looked like a freight train the way it was puffing in the back with the white smoke. Could not even see out of the rear view mirror with all the smoke. Shut it down and checked the oil and all milky again. Same as before Water was coming out of the exhaust pipe real good. Pulled the oil filler cap and it was milk shake city. Seemed like it didn't smoke too bad at first startup but after a minute is when it let go. What did I do wrong .I am tired of thinking where I screwed up.
I have put other head gaskets on a number of times with no problems but this has me baffled.Any suggestions or advice I can take.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the machine shop did not thoroughly check the cylinder head and its damaged and/or possibly cracked.

Improper torque procedure...?

Possible improper cylinder head torqueing damaged the cylinder head gasket or the cylinder head itself.

Possible damaged/cracked cyldiner block.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What brand head gasket you use?

If he didnt take the valves out when he milled the head.....he's a hack machinist.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 PM

The brand of head gasket I cant remember but I got it at Autozone.I did the torqueing by the book.4 different phases up to the 58 lbs.I reused the head bolts.I know they say that I need new bolts but I didn't use new.I cleaned everything really nice,cleaned out the passages and the old bolt holes.Oiled the head bolts before installing them.I don't know if I messed up or the machine shop.I am going to take the head off and take a look at the gasket.Call the machine shop and see what exactly they did do and what the recommend.
Never had this happen before kinda bummed out a lot of work for nothing.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Funny I had pretty much the same thing happen when I had a mechanic friend do a head gasket.

seems Toyota has the torque specs a little on the low side.

65 foot pounds that cured my problems.

It was Ted@ Engine Builder told me that quite a few years ago.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
i had something similar happen to me, after seriously overheating the motor, due to some idiot's aluminum trailer wheel breaking off, and a chuck of it going into my radiator.

except that instead of machining the old head, because it was melted between the combustion chambers, i went out and bought a brand new head from ted at engbldr.

used a new factory toyota head gasket... it leaked a massive amount of water into the oil... i pulled the whole motor out, got another one, haven't been back to troubleshoot it yet... very discouraging.

the bright side for both of us is that once antifreeze/water mixes with the oil like that, you don't know what condition the rod/main bearings are in... so bolting on another head is a gamble.

since you had water in the oil to begin with, it's probably time to rebuild the whole motor.

i would check to see how much can be milled off of a 22re head, it isn't much.

the valves should have come out, valves and guides both checked for wear, and new valve stem seals installed.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Always use a Toyota headgasket. Always. Sorry you had to learn that in this way.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If a lot of coolant was in the exhaust, it may smoke for a while before it clears up. As far as water in the oil, could be a head gasket issue, but did you check to see if the chain rubbed a hole into the timing cover water jacket?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by j2the-e
If a lot of coolant was in the exhaust, it may smoke for a while before it clears up. As far as water in the oil, could be a head gasket issue, but did you check to see if the chain rubbed a hole into the timing cover water jacket?
this sounds like a good one.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:20 PM

Engine coolant is obviously entering into the combustion chamber...

One must disassemble the engine to find the trouble area.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:35 PM

Should be a felpro if you got it auto zone I think that's the only one they sell for it
Old 10-15-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Engine coolant is obviously entering into the combustion chamber...

One must disassemble the engine to find the trouble area.
Can't make that assumption yet. It didn't run long enough. The last head gasket I did had me concerned because it smoked a lot for 30 minutes even after I drove it. There was a lot of residual coolant in the exhaust.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:08 PM

^--- This is going by reading his original post of course.

It is possible other problems exist, however disassembly of the engine will be necessary to find and locate the trouble area regardless.

The original post also stated coolant mixed with the engine oil. Coolant entering the crankcase is a red flag for an internal leak.

A damaged timing chain cover coolant passage(Allowing coolant into the crank case.) from timing chain component failures will require at least removal of the cylinder head cover for inspection of timing chain components.

Moisture in the exhaust system is possible however would have presented itself almost immediately and usually as a "steam" not "puffing white smoke like a freight train" as stated in the original posting.

It is possible residual coolant in the catalytic converter from previous failure may have started to heat up and vaporize... Hence the clue in the original posting stating that it took a few minutes of run time before the smoke.

We can only speculate of course...