Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What to take the power from?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to take the power from?

ok i got an aux fuse block and i have everything ready, except that i don't know where to tap into for the power? I want the whole block to be on when keys are in acc/on position and off when truck is off. Where do i go to get enough power and not make problems?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Bump, I would like to finnish this tonight if i could
Old 09-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
my first response was to get it straight from the battery (with an in-line fuse of course) but then you said you want it on only when in the on/acc position. i have wondered this myself. i know how to do it with a relay but im not sure if any relay can handle that voltage and wattage straight from the battery.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linuxrunner
ok i got an aux fuse block and i have everything ready, except that i don't know where to tap into for the power? I want the whole block to be on when keys are in acc/on position and off when truck is off. Where do i go to get enough power and not make problems?

Thanks
Either the block should have a relay, or you'll need to add one (The Painless "Cirkit Boss" blocks have built-in relays, but if yours doesn't they are easily added). Remember, the relay will have to be rated for the total power of the block, depending on what accessories you will want to add. Also, pay close attention to the size wires being used and how much power is going through them, we don't want any electrical fires after all.

The relay will have four plugs on it (two circuits). One will be the "high power" circuit. For this one you will plug one side into the positive power on the battery, the other end to the power for the fuse block. The other will be the "low power" circuit that turns the "high power" circuit on. For this one, you will probably want to tap into the cigarette lighter power wire for the hot side, and ground the other side. This way, when the ign is on (and therefore cigarette lighter is on) your fuse block will turn on too. Alternatively, you can tap int ECU power, but the cig lighter is easier to get to.

That ought to do it
Old 09-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
Either the block should have a relay, or you'll need to add one (The Painless "Cirkit Boss" blocks have built-in relays, but if yours doesn't they are easily added). Remember, the relay will have to be rated for the total power of the block, depending on what accessories you will want to add. Also, pay close attention to the size wires being used and how much power is going through them, we don't want any electrical fires after all.

The relay will have four plugs on it (two circuits). One will be the "high power" circuit. For this one you will plug one side into the positive power on the battery, the other end to the power for the fuse block. The other will be the "low power" circuit that turns the "high power" circuit on. For this one, you will probably want to tap into the cigarette lighter power wire for the hot side, and ground the other side. This way, when the ign is on (and therefore cigarette lighter is on) your fuse block will turn on too. Alternatively, you can tap int ECU power, but the cig lighter is easier to get to.

That ought to do it

Perfect, thanks i'll pick up a relay tomorrow. I figured a relay would be the best way to do this. I might use the cig lighter or ECU as the fuse block is in the right kick pannel with the ecu. Thanks much. I'll see if i can snap a few pics when i am done.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll definitely need to use a relay like the others suggested...