Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What should I expect to pay for the machine shop to do my bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I expect to pay for the machine shop to do my bottom end?

I'll have the engine out very soon, and the only part I don't think I can handle is putting the crankshaft back in, the bearings that go on the crankshaft, and, reinstalling the pistons and rings.

I'll be having the block bored, crankshaft re-ground, block cleaned, new freeze plugs, etc.

I can handle most of the work myself, but like I said, I am a little apprehensive (sp?) about setting the clearances on the crankshaft bearings and pistons and rings reinstalled.

What should I expect to pay to have the machine shop do this work (set the clearances on the bearing crankshaft, install crank, and install pistons and rings)? Thanks.

vmax84
Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

you NEED to have it balanced as well. I'd expect $600+ for a v6.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vmax, I wish I could help you on the machine costs.. They tend to vary quite a bit. Pick a few services, call some local shops and ask what they charge.

Wait for your pistons before you do the bore. Pistons have tolerances and the bore should be done after you know which piston is going to where. Have the machine shop fit your rings, if you don't want to do it yourself...

Balancing here in Austin runs $100-$200 depending on who you go to...
Old 01-22-2007, 11:55 AM

It's for a 22re. What does balancing mean? Balance the crank?

vmax84
Old 01-22-2007, 03:03 PM

The machine shopped quoted my $375 to "put the engine" back together. I'm not sure exactly what all this entails since I didn't get to talk to the machinst. All I want them to do is bore it, turn the crank, reinstall the pistons and crank. I really don't want to get involved with the crankshaft bearings and such.

But all the other stuff I can handle. Is this a fair price? Seems kinda steep, $375, for putting that portion of my engine back together.

vmax84
Old 01-22-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vmax84
The machine shopped quoted my $375 to "put the engine" back together. I'm not sure exactly what all this entails since I didn't get to talk to the machinst. All I want them to do is bore it, turn the crank, reinstall the pistons and crank. I really don't want to get involved with the crankshaft bearings and such.

But all the other stuff I can handle. Is this a fair price? Seems kinda steep, $375, for putting that portion of my engine back together.

vmax84
That's significantly less than I paid for the machine work and balancing on my bottom end alone. I'd bite, but make sure it's quality work.
I'd specify the following:

1) Make sure that you have the pistons in hand before boring the motor.. Or at least before final hone. The bore should be done based on the exact piston measurements.

2) Make sure the machinist uses the right piston to wall spacing. Ask for this dimension when you buy the pistons. Don't let him use the same old spacing he always uses.

3) Specify that he clearance the rings. Give him the exact ring gap. Again, ask about this when you buy the pistons.

4) The crank should be polished or turned, depending on it's spec. You can't order the right size bearings until you know what the spec is. Don't even think about skipping this.

5) The block should be decked / checked. I recommend an R50 or better finish (fine finish) that way if you ever want to use a fancy head gasket you can. Make sure the machist decks the front cover at the same time.

6) Hot tank / clean and new freeze plugs are optional, but recommended.

7) Have the rods checked and make sure they're in spec.

8) Balancing the rotating assembly is recommended, but it add more cost, between $100-$200. You'll have to get alternate opinions in regard to having this done. This means you give him the crank, rods, pistons, harmonic balancer, and flywheel.. He makes sure that it all balances out correctly and that it wont vibrate a lot when turning RPM.

Don't *ASSUME* he'll know to do these things.. Get them written down.. He should give you the specs of everything that he does above. $400 is a great deal on this work, IMHO... Without balancing, it's an "OK" deal - probably better than average in my part of the woods. Machine work is the most critical thing you can have done and the most time consuming to have done again...
Old 01-22-2007, 03:46 PM

you should ask him to grease your nuts and lube your rear end

sorry for the spoiler...had to do it
Old 01-22-2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
That's significantly less than I paid for the machine work and balancing on my bottom end alone. I'd bite, but make sure it's quality work.
I'd specify the following:

1) Make sure that you have the pistons in hand before boring the motor.. Or at least before final hone. The bore should be done based on the exact piston measurements.

2) Make sure the machinist uses the right piston to wall spacing. Ask for this dimension when you buy the pistons. Don't let him use the same old spacing he always uses.

3) Specify that he clearance the rings. Give him the exact ring gap. Again, ask about this when you buy the pistons.

4) The crank should be polished or turned, depending on it's spec. You can't order the right size bearings until you know what the spec is. Don't even think about skipping this.

5) The block should be decked / checked. I recommend an R50 or better finish (fine finish) that way if you ever want to use a fancy head gasket you can. Make sure the machist decks the front cover at the same time.

6) Hot tank / clean and new freeze plugs are optional, but recommended.

7) Have the rods checked and make sure they're in spec.

8) Balancing the rotating assembly is recommended, but it add more cost, between $100-$200. You'll have to get alternate opinions in regard to having this done. This means you give him the crank, rods, pistons, harmonic balancer, and flywheel.. He makes sure that it all balances out correctly and that it wont vibrate a lot when turning RPM.

Don't *ASSUME* he'll know to do these things.. Get them written down.. He should give you the specs of everything that he does above. $400 is a great deal on this work, IMHO... Without balancing, it's an "OK" deal - probably better than average in my part of the woods. Machine work is the most critical thing you can have done and the most time consuming to have done again...

Wow, I'm printing this info out and it's going in my extensive paperwork folder on this truck!!! Thank you very much for the good info.

The guy who will be doing the work is very, very good. I have NEVER heard anything bad about his work and nothing but good stuff.

Thanks again.

vmax84
Old 01-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Assuming labor for most mechanics is around 60-80 bucks an hour, I'd say that it's probably a decent price.