Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What maintenance should I do on my 145k runner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What maintenance should I do on my 145k runner?

Attempt #2. I think my thread may have been deleated due to a poor title so I will try again. If you see this twice please forgive me for double posting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome site. Been reading for a while but this is my first post. Get your reading glasses. This might be long.

I just bought a 92 4runner that has 145k miles the 3vze and auto transmission. I know nothing about the vehicles history including what maintenance was done and when. The family and I are making a 3,000 mile trip from ND to TN and back and I do not want the runner to fail on me with my wife and kids hours away from home.

Right now I do not like how it runs. It is way rougher and louder than my 91 pickup with the same motor and miles and a 5 speed. I bought an engine gasket kit and was going to do a HG and timing belt this weekend and will put royal purple in everything bumper to bumper. Is there any maintenance that I must do while doing this based on the mileage and the engine being in an unknown condition? I have already done new plugs and wires and new distributor cap and rotor.

I also have a problem with fuel and oil vapors I am hoping this will fix. When the runner is running everything smells great. After it sits for a few hours I get a strong smell of oil and fuel. After a long rest of about 6 hours or more it takes a good 6 or 7 seconds of cranking to get the motor started. With a short rest it starts within ¼ to ½ second. I can not find any leaks. My oil level was very high when I got it and still is but does not really smell like fuel. I took a hose off the charcoal can and sniffed and smelled noting and I still can not find the fuel presser dampener thing that other people have problems with. If the new injector o rings do not fix it where do I go next? With the intake removed can I use a jumper to turn on the fuel pump and actually see the injectors to see if they leak?

Thank you in advance for all the help and thanks to all the members that make this such a informative and entertaining place.

Anyone know a good place in ND for a novice like me to wheel? I am looking for a good daytrip for the wife and me. I am hoping to get her interested or excited in the hobby/sport so I can get more funds for my ride.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Leak and HG

Originally Posted by YotaND
Attempt #2. I think my thread may have been deleated due to a poor title so I will try again. If you see this twice please forgive me for double posting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome site. Been reading for a while but this is my first post. Get your reading glasses. This might be long.

I just bought a 92 4runner that has 145k miles the 3vze and auto transmission. I know nothing about the vehicles history including what maintenance was done and when. The family and I are making a 3,000 mile trip from ND to TN and back and I do not want the runner to fail on me with my wife and kids hours away from home.

Right now I do not like how it runs. It is way rougher and louder than my 91 pickup with the same motor and miles and a 5 speed. I bought an engine gasket kit and was going to do a HG and timing belt this weekend and will put royal purple in everything bumper to bumper. Is there any maintenance that I must do while doing this based on the mileage and the engine being in an unknown condition? I have already done new plugs and wires and new distributor cap and rotor.

I also have a problem with fuel and oil vapors I am hoping this will fix. When the runner is running everything smells great. After it sits for a few hours I get a strong smell of oil and fuel. After a long rest of about 6 hours or more it takes a good 6 or 7 seconds of cranking to get the motor started. With a short rest it starts within ¼ to ½ second. I can not find any leaks. My oil level was very high when I got it and still is but does not really smell like fuel. I took a hose off the charcoal can and sniffed and smelled noting and I still can not find the fuel presser dampener thing that other people have problems with. If the new injector o rings do not fix it where do I go next? With the intake removed can I use a jumper to turn on the fuel pump and actually see the injectors to see if they leak?

Thank you in advance for all the help and thanks to all the members that make this such a informative and entertaining place.

Anyone know a good place in ND for a novice like me to wheel? I am looking for a good daytrip for the wife and me. I am hoping to get her interested or excited in the hobby/sport so I can get more funds for my ride.
Not an expert here, but as you may well understand, there are lots of things which can cause "roughness" on this engine unrelated to the HGs. If you are not losing fluid from the radiator, but still had a concern, you might do a compression check.

As to the fuel "vapors", that one, as you probably are thinking yourself, sounds like a very slight leak in the fuel system. When you let it sit, it draws in some air which causes the starting problem.

I'd trust your nose and find that leak. I've known of at least one case of a person ignoring such a problem, then losing the engine and totaling the car due to fire.

Someone here should have some experience with tracing leaks in the fuel system. Good Luck!!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by YotaND
I know nothing about the vehicles history including what maintenance was done and when...
That statement alone means ALL fluids (oil, diffs, tranny, coolant, power steering, brakes, even A/C) come out; tranny gets FLUSHED; coolant gets FLUSHED; power steering gets FLUSHED.

I'd replace ALL filters - fuel, oil, air, and the PCV valve.

Replace the plugs & wires.

Find all the Zerks and hit 'em with the blue waterproof marine goo.

Rotate the tires & check the pressure.

I'd also do a timing belt, water pump and thermostat.

That's probably a good start.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:41 PM

I wouldnt mess with a head gasket unless it is gone. That's a lot of work that is not keeping it simple.
Your rough idle can be EGR system, vacuum etc. I would check for vacuum leaks. Get a new grommet for that PCV valve when you replace it.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if your going to do head gaskets it would be a good time for headers
Old 05-24-2006, 11:38 PM

I really don't want to do the HG but I am doing it for the father in law. He is a yota hater and does not believe me when I say at 145k its just getting broken in. I have to make him happy if I am going to take his daughter and granddaughters on such a long trip. I have all the parts on hand for the HG so it won't cost me any more than I have already spent and It will also give me a good look at everything.

The rough idle went away once my ECU learned how to use the new distributor rotor and cap and new plugs and wires. It takes time for it to learn how to use all 6 instead of running on just 5 like I think it was when I got it.

I wish I could do headers but headers cost $$ and I have very little to spend. We have to save up a lot of cash to live off of once my wife seperates from the AF.

Now I just have to get rid of that smell.