86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what to do about the undercarriage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what to do about the undercarriage?

hmmm, so i havent really stated up anything lately, and this has been on my mind. i know with the 2nd gen 4runners if you take off the runningboards it looks really nice and raised a bit, but then if your like me and have an auto tranny, you can pretty much see the whole damn pan from looking at it from the side.
i can also see this crossover bar im guessing that holds the tranny in (just in case). also, the gastank. its huge, but understandable. what can i do to hide these things/ make these seem less noticeable?

i was thinking for the gas tank maybe some black spraypaint or something. what have you guys done? mabye some sort of sidings underneith?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure why I'm replying to this, but it is a truck right? You usually see those things under a truck. If you're trying to hide it because it's all rusty under there, maybe you should get rid of the rust.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well you can relocate the gas tank to where the spare tire normally sits. and that's about it for moving things to hide them. I'm gonna be doing a custom FULL UNDERCARRIAGE skid plate both for protection and a little better aerodynamics. and with sliders on the side, i will just connect the skid plate to the sliders so the whole undercarrige looks like one sheet. similar to what people do to Jeeps and to what Ford did to Land Rover before selling them.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could get a body lift then do a drivetrain lift and tuck it all up inside the frame rails. Then you'd only need to worry about the gas tank.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:09 AM

Is that not what you are suppose to see? its a 4x4 you are suppose to see gas tanks with a metal plate drive lines and transfer case. When you see a lifted truck and can see all the componets under it you think it looks ugly? If your trying to hide what you should be PROUD of then maybe you should own a 4x4 or at the very least take the running boards off to "make it look nicer and lifted" when you dont like the look anyways.

Be proud of whats under there ADD to it! if need be sand blast it all and paint it so it stands out more. Like the other poster said unless its all rusted then it shouldnt be an eye sore at all.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wait till it gets warm out. Clean everything down, scuff things up. And paint! Use a good flat black paint and give everything a few coats. It will look better, add value, and will hide the componants.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:11 AM

alrighty guys. sounds good. i think maybe just because its all dirty under there is probably why its getting to me. ill wait till spring, wash her up, and paint in and around. maybe ill post pics. before and after.

ill do a search on relocating the gas tank. anyone have links on that project?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:13 AM

i know tc on this board did a fuel cell and put it in the back of his runner.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:35 PM

The problem is that you have a truck that looks like a 4x4 ,but it's only 2wd. Relocating the fuel tank is for getting it out of the way when you go wheeling and keep it from getting banged up. All the other suggestions are also for wheeling. Again, if it's rusty, clean it up. Or buy your running boards back and you won't see that stuff anymore.

Not trying to be all pissy, maybe I just don't understand the real issue.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 PM

oh no worries, and i dont take offense to anything you guys say. constructive criticism. nice to know people like to see that stuff under the truck, and doesnt make me feel too bad anymore. painting is a good thing

im also reading up on adjusting my torsion bar
Old 02-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

I know exactly what you are talking about infiltrator.

When i first removed my running boards, i was loving it. It made it look like i had 3 more inches of clearance and I must say the runner looked way more rugged.

Then i started noticeing how low every hung under the frame. Mostly the crossmember and fuel tank. None of the other sweet looking runners or pickups in my neighborhood had stuff hanging down that low.

It is really obvious who is really wheeling there truck by what mods they do and how much clearance they really have.

8in BL with no drivetrain lift or susp lift = not a wheeler

besides i want to be able to sit up while under my rig, or at least be able to roll around on the roller and not have to get out from under and walk around every time i need to roll under the crossmembers or diffs.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 PM

yeah, if you live where i live there are soo many jacked up ford f250's, dodges, and especially silverado's its SICK. you see this huge jacked up truck that makes mine look like a weenie. but you know they never take it offroad. the tires are brand new, the bed of the truck has a cover and has NEVER been used, and you can see the damn driveshaft spinning away. not my kind of rig.

i mean, i guess i can understand why you would want a pickup, more power, less stuff to weigh you down, but thats not what its made for. these people fly at 60 miles per hour in a 5, most of the time they are on a cell phone.
i think we need a ride height here, like at amusement parks. small women or children should not operate lol

sorry about my rant/rave.