Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Power Steering Flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Power Steering Flush

How do I go about flushing my power steering system completely out? I am an idiot and just realized that the Toyota PS system takes ATF and not PSF.

I have a slow leak... probably due to the PSF, anybody think that a flush and refil would cure it, or do you think the seals are toast?

anyway, I most likely have to do this on my own, so is there a one-man procedure for a complete PS flush?

*edit: also, how much fluid does the entire system hold.. including gearbox?

Last edited by az4x4runner; 12-01-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
put the front of the vehicle on stands and turn it on. disconect the return line going to the pump. turn the steering wheel a good amount of times slowly. and most the fluid will be forced out the lines. if anything youll want to put psf in instead of atf cause its thicker. it doesnt mater if you use either but i would use psf in this case
Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it wdpends on what youve bneen using? if pfs has worked, keep udsin it
Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^

I don't know if he means "on" or "running", doing this while running will cause it to empty quickly, so be ready for that (you don't want to run the pump dry)

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that the manual says to crank it over a bunch of times, and to not let it start,

you can do it by yourself, just go buy some hose to extend the return hose (disconnect it at the pump) long enough so you can get it into a bucket or whatever so you don't spray fluid everywhere (ask me how I know)

you might be able to get away with one quart, but you might want to get two, and if you don't use the second, just take it back later,

I used two as I really wanted to flush everything out, and I had replaced the pump, and I had used some of the first quart to "lubricate" half of my engine bay

but, yes you'll need to jack up the front end and removing the passenger side tire will help with getting the lines off and on

are you sure that the seals are toast? where is it leaking from?
there have been some people here who thought they had a bad seal, and all they had to was tighten some of the bolts on the pump, as they work loose over time (i don't know what bolts, just a thought)

and yes, you need to use atf, and not psf, apperently the psf is bad for the seals or something? and yours are going bad, so obviously this isn't "working for you"

this might help:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/
Old 12-02-2007, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the pointers guys. Do PSF and ATF mix? I don't mean a 50/50 mix, but if I don't get 100% of it out when I flush...

Anyone know the exact capacity of the pump/gearbox so I can tell if I did get all the fluid out?

thanks a lot,
Bryan
Old 12-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
By the way, you will probably need to repack the pws pump and resevior since most of the early 90's ones develope leaks. Mine is leaking now and has been for several months.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by az4x4runner

... or do you think the seals are toast?
Yes, the seals probably need replacing.

This write-up:
http://members.cox.net/stacewilliams/ps-pump.htm

Along with the FSM will help a lot with that:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Flushing is good but that won't stop a leak. And I agree with the poster that said don't run the pump dry while flushing. That small reservoir will run dry very quick with the motor running.

Toyota engineers recommend ATF, so I'd stay with that.

Last edited by mt_goat; 12-02-2007 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I just finished the process. flushed 2 whole quarts of ATF through it to make sure, it's comin out pink now. I turned the wheel from lock to lock a few times... drove it around town a little and checked the fluid, no leaks yet and fluid is still pink.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATF = Antifreeze?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
atf = auto trans fluid...pink stinky stuff
Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM

Crap-sammich.

I just topped 'er up with psf last night.

Did I just cost myself a bunch o' cash for repairs?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:33 AM

Bump.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:47 AM
CJM

Depends on how much you added..

I would flush if you added more than half a quart..
Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 AM

Thanks very much.

Is a quart close to a litre? I'm from Canada and not very smart about these sorts of things... yet. LOL

And other than seals slowly breaking down, will there be any major issues with handling? I ask because there is a plan in the works to replace the PS pump quite promptly (next 2 or 3 months). Could I get away with running PSF till i replace the pump?

Luke

Last edited by AlladdinSane; 12-19-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:11 PM
CJM

Eh close somewhat.

I would just wait it out when you replace it anyways, no sense in doing all kinds of work now when your gonna get a new one soon.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:14 PM

Cool. Thanks for the help CJM. It's appreciated.

Luke
Old 12-19-2007, 01:08 PM
CJM

No problem, glad to help
Old 12-19-2007, 01:19 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Power steering fluid spells a quick demise for Toyota power steering pumps in my experience.

If you put it in pretty much at all, prepare for a PS pump replacement in your future.

They specify Dexron ATF for a reason - it's what works!
Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
Eh close somewhat.

I would just wait it out when you replace it anyways, no sense in doing all kinds of work now when your gonna get a new one soon.
x2 on this one, it will be better if you flushed it right away, but if you're going to replace the whole pump soon, then leave it 'til then,

one thing of note, if you actually replace the pump instead of 'rebuilding' it, then either go with an oem toyota one, or get one from a parts store that has a good warranty (autozone has a lifetime warranty, don't think they've got those in canada?), the reason for this is that some people wind up getting a pump, or two, that are only good for a few months, then they start leaking again, if you have a warranty then it's free to replace, until you get one that won't go bad on you, I haven't personally had this hapen to me, but it has happened to others

if I had to do mine over again (hopefully not soon) I'll go to a junkyard and find an oem one to rebuild so I wont have to risk getting a bad one from the parts store
Old 12-20-2007, 09:16 AM

Hmmm...

I'm not very mechanically inclined (no kidding, huh? lol). That being said, I'm looking to become much more able in this respect. I'm a pretty quick study and with the info on this forum laid out the way it is, my knowledge is increasing at a pretty decent rate. I've actually just done my first repair in the form of a tie rod end replacement. Not much, i know, but considering that I've never owned a tool, and now have a "pickle fork" (amongst other new tools) I'd at least have to say that it's a step in the right direction. I liked it. I'll be doing more in the future. Buuuutttt....

...What will it take to rebuild a PS pump? Is that sort of thing out of my league right now? Should I just get a beefy warranty on a new one?

Thanks for listening and responding in advance.

Luke

Quick Reply: Power Steering Flush