Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weird issue: Gas smell in cab ONLY when low (foot) vent is blowing...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird issue: Gas smell in cab ONLY when low (foot) vent is blowing...

Hi,

I did some serious searching for this but came up empty. For the last 5k miles or so I've had a pretty mellow gas smell coming from my low vent/feet area. It only shows up if the vent is blowing and only from down there. Otherwise no gas smell at all. No gas smell etc from engine or anything at any time. I've rebuilt the carb and had the head gasket done and no change (not that that would change anything). Is this anything to be concerned about or just the smell of an old truck? I can drive with the feet vent blowing and light gas smell with the windows up and it's not big deal. It's just noticeable is all. It's an '87 22R 4x4. Thanks!

Edit: I always assumed that gas smell was the leaking carb, but now that it's been rebuilt it's still there. Again, it's slight and ONLY when the lower feet vent is blowing. Otherwise no smell at all. Mileage is fine, no other issues.

Last edited by saltandgranite; 04-14-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 AM

could be the charcoal canister
Old 04-14-2013, 10:10 AM

Thanks, is there any sure fire way to tell if it's the charcoal canister? Like, by smelling it or something? Also, if it is - can it be cleaned or do I need to replace it?

Last edited by saltandgranite; 04-14-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
If you're sure it's only with the floor vent blowing, and you've stuck your nose into the engine bay (both the Evap canister and the Fuel Pressure Damper are sufficiently persistent that you can smell gas after you stop), then perhaps you've dripped something into one of the floor ducts? Maybe it isn't really gas, but something with a "chemical" smell.

Those ducts aren't difficult to remove (once you get to them). Maybe just pop them out and use some soap-and-water in the sink.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
If you're sure it's only with the floor vent blowing, and you've stuck your nose into the engine bay (both the Evap canister and the Fuel Pressure Damper are sufficiently persistent that you can smell gas after you stop), then perhaps you've dripped something into one of the floor ducts? Maybe it isn't really gas, but something with a "chemical" smell.

Those ducts aren't difficult to remove (once you get to them). Maybe just pop them out and use some soap-and-water in the sink.
Hi Scope, thanks. Could be possible, but I wouldn't know. I bought the truck 5k miles ago with the gas smell issue. It sat for 25 years before I got it, so I just figured the smell would go away after my rehabbing (rebuilt carb, top end etc). Could be that something got in there though...

Edit: It sat for 25 years, by the way, with gas in it. Anything obvious that I should replace at this time that I'm not thinking of (tank is fine)?

Last edited by saltandgranite; 04-14-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:02 PM

It could even be as simple as floor mats/carpeting giving up the ghost, and you only smell them when they're warmed up by the floor vent. Or something was spilled there, and it's now under the carpeting.

Why don't you get out your hair dryer, and try to localize anything that smells when heated?

I'd replace the fuel filter just on spec.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:23 PM

It could even be as simple as floor mats/carpeting giving up the ghost, and you only smell them when they're warmed up by the floor vent. Or something was spilled there, and it's now under the carpeting.

Why don't you get out your hair dryer, and try to localize anything that smells when heated?

I'd replace the fuel filter just on spec.
It's vinyl flooring and I've cleaned it a few times. I have new rubber all weather floor mats in as well. Also it's not just when the heat is blowing. It can be the cold vent or just air coming in. Even when I just swap it from windshield to floor I get a slight smell of gas (if the system isn't even blowing). I could probably swap the fuel filter out, but I'm not seeing any signs or symptoms of decay (no power loss or issues at high rpms).
Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can smell gas to when the floor vents are on. It doesnt bother me that much but its probably the charcoal canisters.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by saltandgranite
I could probably swap the fuel filter out, but I'm not seeing any signs or symptoms of decay (no power loss or issues at high rpms).
The recommended interval for the fuel filter is 60,000 miles, and that's 60,000 miles of running clean fuel through it. If you wait for symptoms, the filter is no longer doing it's job, and the dirt that should get caught in the filter is now in the injectors, etc.

Your choice.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 PM

The recommended interval for the fuel filter is 60,000 miles, and that's 60,000 miles of running clean fuel through it. If you wait for symptoms, the filter is no longer doing it's job, and the dirt that should get caught in the filter is now in the injectors, etc.

Your choice.
I'm carbureted, but I hear ya. I thought about having the fuel filter changed out when I had my HG done (too big of a job for me [no garage]), but my Toyota guy (who did the HG) had a look and said it was fine. Anyhow, I'll throw it on my to do list. For now I'm thinking of popping off the charcoal canister...
Old 04-14-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by '85 Yota
I can smell gas to when the floor vents are on. It doesnt bother me that much but its probably the charcoal canisters.
So is it only the floor vents or all venting? Good to know that you're not too concerned about a potential fuel leak or anything =) Mine's a longbed 22R as well, wonder if there's a connection =P
Old 04-14-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by saltandgranite
So is it only the floor vents or all venting? Good to know that you're not too concerned about a potential fuel leak or anything =) Mine's a longbed 22R as well, wonder if there's a connection =P
Well when I changed my fuel sender awhile ago, I hooked 2 lines on the fuel tank up wrong. So then the charcoal canisters would fill up but the truck would still run. But then when the motor was off it would poor from the vent on the charcoal canister. So I switched them a couple weeks ago and that stopped the leaking. And I'm pretty sure its only when the floor vents are on but ill have to check. But I think the whole problem is the charcoal canisters lol. I don't have any fuel leaks though. Weird
Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 PM

some times on my car ill have the hood up and the sun will be hitting my evap canister and it will start making fizzling noises its kind of strange