Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Weird electrical issue with the dashlights coming on and off and car not starting?

Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird electrical issue with the dashlights coming on and off and car not starting?

Hey Folks!

I got a 1990 pickup with a 22RE engine 4wd and man has this thing been a blast to own!
I have encountered a problem that I cannot seem to find a reasonable solution for with my current knowledge. Heres whats happening.

As I get in to turn the key to the on position everything is normal. Then I go and try to turn it over and I hear a snap, kind of like how it would be if your starter was out (I know this because I just replaced mine less than a week ago with no issues afterwards). Then after I roll the key back to the off and then on position again I get no dash lights or even headlights or anything! 5-10 minutes later I try to start it again then the lights come on but still I hear a snap when I try and turn the key to start it. Not sure what this could be, I have a lightbar connected to the battery and the lightbar ALWAYS works even when all of my other electrical doesnt strangely... I've been searching this up for some time and still can't come up with a solution. My only guess could be the ignition switch. Another thing I noticed is when I pull the key out of the ignition it makes a loud snap noise like its having a hard time snapping back in place, not sure if it was like that before this problem.

I would really appreciate any advice you guys have for me, i'm really lost here!

Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Start with the simple, easy things that will cost you next to nothing. Inspect/clean/tighten all your connections, both power and ground side. Good connection is bare, shiny metal contacting bare shiny metal tightly.

If that does not fix things, get a multi-meter and we'll talk.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Try spraying some penetrating spray into the ignition switch .

What kind of shape is your key in??

The real question is just when did this start ??

Anything you can recall that happened when this started ??
Old 03-29-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Hi Mike,

Originally Posted by mrmike210
...I get no dash lights or even headlights ...
I have a lightbar connected to the battery and the lightbar ALWAYS works even when all of my other electrical doesnt strangely...
This suggests the problem is in the power circuit after where you connect the light bar but before the ignition switch.

still I hear a snap when I try and turn the key to start it. Not sure what this could be
You are in the best position to find out exactly where that snap is coming from because the truck is right in front of you.
The best diagnostic tools for the 22RE are our senses. Only you can see, hear and feel (hopefully not smell smoke-LOL!) where the snap is coming from. We can merely help with theoretical analysis because we are remote.
Second best diagnostic tool is a multi-meter. Harbor Freight is your friend.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Try spraying some penetrating spray into the ignition switch .

What kind of shape is your key in??

The real question is just when did this start ??

Anything you can recall that happened when this started ??
The key is in rough shape. But I don't know if it would be the key because the headlights or stereo I mean everything doesn't work except the lightbar when the dash lights come on. Recently I hydrolocked the truck but I changed the oil x3 since and got all the oil out. Recently I changed the starter maybe less than a week ago and have had no problem starting it since.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:30 PM

Anyone else got any ideas? I really don't want to have to take it to a mechanic but I will if I have to. Thanks again guys!
Old 03-31-2017, 02:19 AM

Red face

By chance any sort of alarm system or parts of one. disabling the electrical system ??

I don`t get the snapping when you pull out the key .

I gather the light bar is wired direct to the battery Just what sort of connection to the battery ??

Is it wired with a relay or just a switch ??

Poor connection at battery causing all the other problems ??

Pictures would be a big help
Old 03-31-2017, 12:36 PM

I'll take some pictures sometime today. I'll take pics of the battery terminals and maybe I can get a video of the key snapping.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 PM

Here is the link to the video of the ignition.

Here is a link to the imgur collection of the engine bay.
http://imgur.com/gallery/6XH8p
Old 03-31-2017, 03:12 PM

Red face

I would say those battery terminals are a great place to start

It looks like clean and tight have a very different meaning to the rest of us.

That type of terminal is for a emergency miles from home those being all they have.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I would say those battery terminals are a great place to start

It looks like clean and tight have a very different meaning to the rest of us.

That type of terminal is for a emergency miles from home those being all they have.
Well I mean I cleaned them with a wire brush and they are tightened as much as they will go. I mean it should still start the car right? I just remembered something else actually, I was getting a tow and the truck driver connected jumper cables and as soon as they connected the headlights came on but it wouldn't start. After he tried to start it, it did the temperamental thing where nothing was working whatsoever.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:18 PM

Battery

It seems like there is not enough power from your battery. Maybe trying another battery you know is good. Some times the ECM has to be reprogrammed when we remove the terminals or otherwise remove the cables.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:48 PM

Just figured out it was the terminal connectors. One of them was cracked and having a loose/bad connection. Everything works great now! Thanks for your help fellas

Search this Thread