Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

weak 87 yota

Old 07-05-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weak 87 yota

I put a 87-127-4 .445 lift comp.cam in my 87 4wd truck.The motor and head is fresh with good compression,a header ,and a carb from a 1979 318 chrysler v-8 adapted to the stock intake.I've set the timing from 0 to 12 degrees in 2 degree increments,and adjusted the carb.It idles perfect but pulls crappy.Both vacuum advances are o.k,the timimg chain is new and right but the performance is no better than the stock cam and carb. I tore it down because of timing chain tensioner failer and put it back with a rebuilt head,the 318 carb and the new cam,timing chain,oil pump and a header.The carb is not a progressive carb but is new,it idles perfect but the power is dissapointing.Does anyone have any tips?thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The truck needs to lose about 1600 pounds.

I'm assuming that you have the 22R 4cyl. That carb is probly too much for the 22R.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
The truck needs to lose about 1600 pounds.

I'm assuming that you have the 22R 4cyl. That carb is probly too much for the 22R.
yes its a 22r with all the emissions removed,just running the carb,header and cam,thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 07:01 PM

yeah do you have a stock carb lying around that just try swaping it out cause with those mods you should have some get up and GO!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
yeah do you have a stock carb lying around that just try swaping it out cause with those mods you should have some get up and GO!
the stock carb has all the plugs and vacuum lines that will need something done with them,so I don't know what to do with it,lol........the 318 carb only has the vacuum advance port.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tape off the ports

buts a stock head and valve train can only take up to .435 of lift as thats the biggest on ei got because of that anything over that and you need new valves and dubble springs to keep them closed thats what engbldr told me anyways cause i was going to go with there biggest meanest cam but i didnt have the few bucks for everything else to get that cam to work
Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by just a 22re
tape off the ports

buts a stock head and valve train can only take up to .435 of lift as thats the biggest on ei got because of that anything over that and you need new valves and dubble springs to keep them closed thats what engbldr told me anyways cause i was going to go with there biggest meanest cam but i didnt have the few bucks for everything else to get that cam to work

it will still run fine, ive had a huge comp cam in one of my old 22r's. and the cam specs said hd valve springs required. but i just used the stock ones cause thats what i had, and it ran great twisted 7,000 rpm.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:34 AM

sounds like you floodin her out, close off all the ports on your stock carb and go burn some rubber
Old 07-06-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the carb is likely too big and when combined with that cam you're losing considerable intake velocity... much necessary to fill the engine. if it were me, I'd probably be using a holley 5200 progressive two barrel (rated ~280 cfm) or the stock toy carb (rated ?).
As an exercise, attach a vacuum gauge to a manifold vacuum port and figure out just how much vacuum you're building. Then you can figure out if you're going to have to raise the idle higher and adjust the timing appropriately.

quick question- how much total advance is the distrubtor set up for? you may need to diddle with the total and centrifual advance rates to get you up to about 30-36 degrees total (depending on what the engine will take).

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-06-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by just a 22re
tape off the ports

I bought new springs from comp cams to handle the lift of the cam
Old 07-06-2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
the carb is likely too big and when combined with that cam you're losing considerable intake velocity... much necessary to fill the engine. if it were me, I'd probably be using a holley 5200 progressive two barrel (rated ~280 cfm) or the stock toy carb (rated ?).
As an exercise, attach a vacuum gauge to a manifold vacuum port and figure out just how much vacuum you're building. Then you can figure out if you're going to have to raise the idle higher and adjust the timing appropriately.

quick question- how much total advance is the distrubtor set up for? you may need to diddle with the total and centrifual advance rates to get you up to about 30-36 degrees total (depending on what the engine will take).
thanks for the info,I had a 5200 on a dodge d-50 with a 2.6 and it ran great.I've also noticed my toyota runs a little warmer than it did stock,but I made a plate to block off the egr on the back of the head on the passenger side,and of course the tubes coming off the exhaust and all the stuff is gone.Will that make it run a little warmer? I haven't checked the total advance on the distributer yet,but I will.thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abecedarian

Stock carb is 325ish CFM, its the best damn carburator for these trucks PERIOD, don't bother with a weber, or anything else, unless you get a holley 350, you have too much carburation.. Adjust your timing, do a tuneup, put the stock carb back on, with all the vaccum lines, I beleive you only need the dist. advance and one other line (I forgot which one), Go to Napa, get a 40$ carb rebuild kit, rebuild it and get some vaccum plugs to plug the vaccum lines.. http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/ that website has all the info you will ever need. Now get to work!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
Stock carb is 325ish CFM, its the best damn carburator for these trucks PERIOD, don't bother with a weber, or anything else, unless you get a holley 350, you have too much carburation.. Adjust your timing, do a tuneup, put the stock carb back on, with all the vaccum lines, I beleive you only need the dist. advance and one other line (I forgot which one), Go to Napa, get a 40$ carb rebuild kit, rebuild it and get some vaccum plugs to plug the vaccum lines.. http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/ that website has all the info you will ever need. Now get to work!
I'm putting it back on this evening,thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 05:42 PM

well......I put the factory carb back on,set the timing at 12 degrees with the dist.vacuum lines on,adjusted the carb a little,and it runs fine,it has the same power as it had with the stock cam and exhaust,lol.......I guess 22r's just don't respond to tinkering like some other motors do.I will fiddle with the timing some to advance it as much as I can with pinging and just enjoy the old rust bucket,its been tough the last 10 years.Now its time for a flat bed,I'm tired of losing stuff through the holes in the bed,lol......ya'll have a good one
Old 07-07-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
from toysport http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20...ech_notes.htm:
Be careful of camshaft choice, just remember that all slow modified 20 / 22R / 22RE engines have been over-cammed. Do not try to install cams with duration over 280 on single carb or fuel injection models.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM

With proper tuning, it should be possible to get close to 140HP from a 22RE without using a turbo. I just wish I had the money and the dyno to figure out how. I think a more modern EFI system would do the trick. The stock EFI from the 1st gens anyway isn't producing the power these engines should be capable of.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
With proper tuning, it should be possible to get close to 140HP from a 22RE without using a turbo. I just wish I had the money and the dyno to figure out how. I think a more modern EFI system would do the trick. The stock EFI from the 1st gens anyway isn't producing the power these engines should be capable of.
I have a 1987 dodge daytona shelby z.I put a mopar performance head on it with a tweaked turbo from turbo exchange in Charlotte, a free flow exhaust and decided to stay with the factory cam,That thing is a blast to drive even though its heavier than the omni's and shelby chargers.....Has anyone owned a turbo toyota truck? how are they on performance?