86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VSV help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSV help

I have a 1989 4runner 22re 5 speed 4wd, and can't figure out the vacuum system.
I have electrical and vacuum lines for four VSV, but every diagram and pic I find show only two or three. The VSV colors are red blue gray, and the mystery VSV is dark gray.
If anyone out there has a similar setup and could take a few pics to show me how it should be I would appreciate it.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by tnactsuj
I have a 1989 4runner 22re 5 speed 4wd, and can't figure out the vacuum system.
I have electrical and vacuum lines for four VSV, but every diagram and pic I find show only two or three. The VSV colors are red blue gray, and the mystery VSV is dark gray.
If anyone out there has a similar setup and could take a few pics to show me how it should be I would appreciate it.
Maybe this link will help , its from the FSM :

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/engine/14layoutan.pdf

And here is the link for the online FSM that link came from :

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

First list is 4cyl and second list down a bit is for 3.0 V6 , the first link listing above is from engine > Emissions Control System-- Layout - Fed and Can .................for the 4cyl
Old 10-20-2007, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info but we have already looked at all the available diagrams. What we need is a color picture of someones motor that has the same setup we do. We have seen quite a few pics online that have the red and blue VSV, but we haven't seen any with red, blue and two grays like we have. Will try and post some pics of what we have in a day or two, so everyone can see what we are dealing with.
Appreciate the help.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:34 AM

Vsv

Thanks for the info but we have already looked at all the available diagrams. What we need is a color picture of someones motor that has the same setup we do. We have seen quite a few pics online that have the red and blue VSV, but we haven't seen any with red, blue and two grays like we have. Will try and post some pics of what we have in a day or two, so everyone can see what we are dealing with.
Appreciate the help.
By what I saw on the FSM Schematic the 2 grays may be part of the "Pair" system for emissions , look at that schematic again , just trying to help , never had the 4 banger , hang in there and someone will come to the rescue with some pics
Old 10-20-2007, 04:13 PM

When a PS pumps' VSV is squirting PS fluid threw each vacuum hose, it's bad right? LOL!
Old 10-20-2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by corvey
When a PS pumps' VSV is squirting PS fluid threw each vacuum hose, it's bad right? LOL!
ROFL
Old 10-22-2007, 04:01 PM

i haven't heard of the pair system but i will certainly research it.if anyone has 4 vsv's i would love to see a picture and get a part # from the one closest to the front of the valve cover. I have exhausted the toyota parts guy at the dealer.their diaghrams are black and white,not helpful.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:46 PM

i haven't heard of the pair system but i will certainly research it.if anyone has 4 vsv's i would love to see a picture and get a part # from the one closest to the front of the valve cover. I have exhausted the toyota parts guy at the dealer.their diaghrams are black and white,not helpful.
hehehe , isn't that the truth , I have spent hours upon hours in the FSM and still havn't found out what I want to know
I am going to get the Audio FSM and play it while I sleep ROFL
Old 10-23-2007, 06:02 PM

i am still trying to get those pics for everyone,hang with me a little longer.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Some pix on my web page ('85):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ine_Pix/1.html

VSVs on mine are for A/C idle-up and for the fuel pressure regulator (I have eliminated that one). On later engines, there is a 3rd VSV for the EGR valve, replaces the EGR modulator on the earlier engines. Only other VSVs would be for the ADD (front axle) system.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Some pix on my web page ('85):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ine_Pix/1.html

VSVs on mine are for A/C idle-up and for the fuel pressure regulator (I have eliminated that one). On later engines, there is a 3rd VSV for the EGR valve, replaces the EGR modulator on the earlier engines. Only other VSVs would be for the ADD (front axle) system.
I have 3 on my fender and one of them is the idle up for A/C , have not identified the one for fuel pump but if it is for fuel pump I can remove it ?
What does it do , is that the one that regulates vacum to the pressure regulator?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
I have 3 on my fender and one of them is the idle up for A/C , have not identified the one for fuel pump but if it is for fuel pump I can remove it ?
What does it do , is that the one that regulates vacum to the pressure regulator?
Yes, fuel pressure regulator:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ine_Pix/8.html

Supposed to prevent some obscure hot start problem. Mine has been removed for about 6 years now and no starting issues at all. Funny thing is that VSV is only present on 4WDs, on a 2WD w/ 22RE or Celica w/ 22RE, the FPR is fed engine vacuum directly.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:34 AM

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Yes, fuel pressure regulator:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ine_Pix/8.html

Supposed to prevent some obscure hot start problem. Mine has been removed for about 6 years now and no starting issues at all. Funny thing is that VSV is only present on 4WDs, on a 2WD w/ 22RE or Celica w/ 22RE, the FPR is fed engine vacuum directly.
I believe I have one on mine , will double check it but have heard it is better to run manifold vacum to it directly .
Old 10-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
I believe I have one on mine , will double check it but have heard it is better to run manifold vacum to it directly .
I removed mine to unclutter the engine, saves one VSV and one vacuum line. Basically that VSV is open almost all the time and lets engine vacuum modulate the fuel pressure regulator. I've never run into the hot start issue, even in 100F+ weather crawling along in low range all day.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 AM

I removed mine to unclutter the engine, saves one VSV and one vacuum line. Basically that VSV is open almost all the time and lets engine vacuum modulate the fuel pressure regulator. I've never run into the hot start issue, even in 100F+ weather crawling along in low range all day.
Yeah I am trying to some spring cleaning under my hood as well , I am going to do the ISR Mod for fun (sound) and am trying to figure out if I can remove both of the lines going to the silencer box but I havn't looked into it too hard yet , one goes to a "pair" reed valve (large one) and then there is a smaller one that goes hardline under the upper intake and then appears to possibly vent the passenger VC for added PCV , I have yet to trace it to its final destination , and the reed valve just introduces intake air to the exhaust so it is just a glorified smog pump w/o the belt (so its history and that is the large line from the silencer)
So my list is growing :
EGR
Pair reed valve
Fuel Pump VSV
Silencer , remove all those and do the ISR Mod
Although if that smaller line is a second crankcase breather then I will leave that because PCV for the motor is a good thing

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-24-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:21 PM

hey 4crawler

that gray vsv on top of your valve cover may be the one i need.if you would get me the part # off that one I can give my boy at toyota parts something to reference.I have been stalled out for over a month now over this problem.there are none in the paper or dealers to compare against. my engine is new bottom to top ready for new life. I bought it in a box and this is my first toyota. the vsv wasn't the only parts I was missing . pvo lost 20 engine bolts.they also destroyed the pulleys when removing engine,great help.......... this could make u my new friend ,thanks for your help so far.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 PM

sorry to bump such an old thread, but i was wondering if anyone knows where to find a vsv for sale aside from toyota. I have asked 5 auto stores, scoured the internet, and I can't find one anywhere. i'm looking for the one that sits on top of the VC and goes to the egr vacuum etc. i snapped off one of the inlets on mine and have plugged it for the time being, but it would be awesome to replace it...

thanks so much for the help!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Might try a junk yard:
- http://www.car-part.com/

Or try below:
- http://davezoffroadperformance.com/

Or epoxy the fitting back on.