Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vinyl Flooring for 94 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Flooring for 94 Pickup

Howdy all,
This is my first post here on the forums, so feel free to let me know if this is the wrong place for such a post.

Anyway, I've got a 1994 Pickup XtraCab with stains and rough patches in the carpet. I'm considering just scrapping the carpet in favor of vinyl. I've always preferred a vinyl floor in a truck because I see them as work/utility vehicles and it just seems more practical to be able to wipe the floor down real quick opposed to having to deal with staining, odor retention, vacuuming up pet fur, etc. I've had a few work trucks with vinyl flooring and I have not noticed any glaring negative aspects.
My questions are: what are the pros/cons of vinyl flooring, and have any of you personally installed it in your rigs?
If so, where did you buy the material, is there a certain manufacturer that sells pre-molded kits, and what tools would be required for the job?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Viable Options?
https://www.jcwhitney.com/details/Toyota/Pickup/AutoCustomCarpets/Vinyl_Floor_Kit/1994/SR5/6_Cyl_3-dot-0L/AC135653901342.html#slot1​​​​​​

https://www.stockinteriors.com/moldedvinyl.asp?Itemid=13207&MakeId=37&ModelId=484 &year=1994&Price=0&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsdHhBRCwARIsAAhRh slOpnHxG8EfHXpcsUw24GICmbxKyPdWBVzUqihj2BRww0d97ap KvJgaAuAFEALw_wcB

Last edited by CJMcVey; 01-08-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:01 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Yes, correct place for our thread.
The stockinteriors one looks good.
I also like vinyl for same utilitarian and convenience reasons as you have.
Even with my current carpet, I often use a foxtail / counter brush to clean it. Unlike a bulky vacuum cleaner the brush is always under my driver's seat - ready to use anytime.Vinyl would make it so much easier.

I see no advantage with carpet, except if you're using your truck to impress your date
Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CJMcVey
Howdy all,
This is my first post here on the forums, so feel free to let me know if this is the wrong place for such a post.

Anyway, I've got a 1994 Pickup XtraCab with stains and rough patches in the carpet. I'm considering just scrapping the carpet in favor of vinyl. I've always preferred a vinyl floor in a truck because I see them as work/utility vehicles and it just seems more practical to be able to wipe the floor down real quick opposed to having to deal with staining, odor retention, vacuuming up pet fur, etc. I've had a few work trucks with vinyl flooring and I have not noticed any glaring negative aspects.
My questions are: what are the pros/cons of vinyl flooring, and have any of you personally installed it in your rigs?
If so, where did you buy the material, is there a certain manufacturer that sells pre-molded kits, and what tools would be required for the job?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Viable Options?
https://www.jcwhitney.com/details/To...​​

https://www.stockinteriors.com/molde...gaAuAFEALw_wcB
I can't remember where I got my vinyl kit from but it wasn't good. It was sorta pre-molded but didn't look like the picture they used at all. I was too thick and very hard to manipulate into place. I waited till the hottest of days in summer to do this and still needed a heat gun with little success. I plan on getting a used OEM carpet next time and shaving it down and rolling bed liner on it or something like that. If there is a decent kit out there I'd also like to know.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:28 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I bought the ACC vinyl kit for my 4Runner from Rock Auto. It is pretty thick and hard to work with...but overall, I still like it. It's textured, which is nice. I haven't had anything on my floor in a looong time, so I put down some peel & seal flashing stuff from Home Depot, and this vinyl flooring over it. Beats the heck of out no flooring, and of course much easier to clean than carpet. I've never really seen factory vinyl in person, but I am guessing this aftermarket is thicker than factory, and even though it claims to be molded to fit, the only real part that is molded is the little hump for the front seat brackets. I guess that molding helps you kind of line things up, but it is not easy to work with this vinyl and it will probably NEVER lay completely flat and smooth. Again, I still like mine because my truck is no show truck, perfection is not what I'm after..I just want you to be aware of the downsides. If you want a flooring to lay smooth, then go with something else. Honestly if I had to do it again, I'd probably look for used factory vinyl long and hard before I ever went with aftermarket.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by se7enine
...used OEM carpet next time and shaving it down and rolling bed liner...
I like that idea.^^^ You get great fit and low-maintenance of a water-resistant, easy-to-clean floor cover.
IF my truck were meant to get wet often, I would:
1) Paint with rubbery bed liner for rust-proofing and sound dampening, then
2) Put anti-fatigue trimmed to fit for further noise and thermal insulation that is easy to remove, clean, rinse, dry. I've seen Land Rover's on youtube with that. After a water crossing, remove mats, hose down and return mats when dry.

Throwing this out there, in case OP or anyone could research:
Diamond-plate or coin pattern mat like on some Honda Elements.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-09-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:11 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Not unheard of for there to be OEM vinyl under the carpet. Have a look and see.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Not unheard of for there to be OEM vinyl under the carpet. Have a look and see.
I found some at a junk yard once but it was under cut and didn't fill the floors fully. I'm not sure it was original or what the deal was.