Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

valve shims/Mossy Toyota Sucks

Old 08-04-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valve shims/Mossy Toyota Sucks

I don't expect the dealer to stock everything for my old 91, but these guys were lame. I need some valve shims. They wouldn't "break the set" they have in the service department. So, I went ahead and ordered some. Really need two, but ordered six to get my clearances snug all across (while I'm in there). The dealer supposedly recieves two of the shims. Not ideal, but not bad. I went to pick them up and they are just bolts in a bag with the shim part number on it. Brilliant! So I ask nicely, considering they blew it and I drove down, why not just pull the two I really need from the service dept and I'll wait on the rest? Not a chance. You would think the "kit" was made up of only exactly what you would need and nothing more for one adjustment rather than a range of sizes for general use. It wouldn't do them any good "broken up". What BS. Managed to get my special order refunded rather than wait for 5 days and possibly get more bolts! "We don't refund special orders." "Well, I don't take the wrong parts." Didn't have any luck at the junkyard either. I think I need to work on my spanish.
I finally found Cylinder Head Supply Online http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/index.html They sell the 34mm valve adjusting discs in lots of 4 for 13.75. I went all out for eight. Even with the overnight air charge I'm still saving bucks over the $16 each the dealer wanted for some random bolts. I'll post back how it goes. Hope to have the shims tomorrow. I hate Mossy Toyota. Pinheads.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Sounds like the only thing "special" about your order was the guy behind the counter that placed it for you...
Old 08-04-2009, 01:33 PM

Def must be the dealer, I got lots of help and every little bolt and part I needed from one dealer over here when I was building my 86...He even pulled out the FSM for me on multiple occasions... Now this other dealer in town is pretty "special" in the parts department as well
Old 08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
That sucks!! My dealer is really good for getting me the right parts... The manager used to have a 3rd gen with 5" of lift
Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
next time use deathcougar for parts. works for a toyota dealership, and can get many hard to find parts. doesnt screw you over, either. and if theres a change in price, he calls you and makes sure its okay before ordering.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:26 AM

Hey nobrainsd,

what size of 33mm discs did you buy from cylinderheadsupply? ( I mean 33mm x 3.5mm as an example).

I am planning on doing this as well in the near future but would like to get the parts lined up ahead of time. I know that I may run into the problem of needing a different size shim once I do check the valves, but I was wondering if there is a common size that most people end up using.

Also, do you need those fancy valve adjusting tools they sell, or can you get away with using what a backyard mechanic would have?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GD a bunch of stoopid idiots at any dealer. Now, your valve adjustment situation. I have had luck measuring the clearances of all 12 valves and thicknesses of all 12 shims. Once, during a rebuild, I simply moved shims around to get the clearances I needed by transposing shims from one valve to another. I stayed above the minimums but went over some on the max. Worked like a champ. Used a very large screwdriver and magnet to move the shims around. May not work for you.

My $0.02
Old 08-05-2009, 09:05 AM

http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/index.html

Cylinder Head Supply rocks! I ordered yesterday before 3pm PST, paid the extra big bucks for next day air and the valve adjusting discs arrived this morning at 9:31 AM. Even with the extra overnightshipping it was cheaper than the random bolts the dealer tried to foist off on me!

Toyota valve shims are 34mm in diameter not 33. I did work out how I could shift the old shims around. I could get by with just two new shims and have reasonable clearances. But for all the hassle to strip everything off the engine it seems foolish to not buy all 6 that I really need and get my clearances optimized. At 13.75 for 4 shims it isn't a big deal and I actually got service rather than stupidity! All of my new shims happen to be 2.850mm thick, but I don't think that you could foresee what sizes you will need. The Cylinder Head Supply company does sell sets for just over $200, but unless you do this a lot or have other Yota friends to share with that isn't probably the best option. I bought the valve adjusting tools for Toyotas from Kragen auto for $10. They didn't stock the tools, but it was listed on the website and my order came in one day to my local store. Still a bit tricky to get the wedge in place without restricting the space needed to remove the shim. I was really frustrated at first using the "pliers". I took the "pliers" apart and just used one side to move the valve bucket down. Worked waaaay better than the pliers as a whole asembly. The bolt holding the pliers together didn't get in the way, the thinner one piece tool could fit in to some of the narrow valve spaces and I didn't have to remove the lifting straps or anything else to gain more clearance. After a few tries I got a lot more proficient! Yes, The magnet is the way to go for latching on to the shim. I know the dealer isn't selling many cars and the service department is slow, but working the customer and recommending that I pay them big bucks for a job I can easily do isn't going to get them my business at all.

Last edited by nobrainsd; 08-05-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I paid $17 for two valve shims 4 years ago at the dealership. They had just what I needed, and pulled it from a "set" used in the service dept. I don't think, however, that they had every size, and I was lucky. So you got a very good price. But it's hard to beat riding your bicycle to the dealership to get the parts you need and finish in one day.

I've heard of people removing the shims without the "pliers" tool shown in the picture, but it is a mystery to me how they do it. I found the pliers worked just fine for me without modification, but it does require a bit of "touch." What you are doing is pushing down on the narrow edge of the "bucket," holding it down with a special gadget that comes with the "pliers," then getting the pliers out of the way so you can lift the shim with a magnet.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:28 PM

I've never done an engine with valve shims...just adjusted valve lash on other cars...seems the 3.0 is a pain by the sounds of it.

So basically, you did the check and just ordered the thickness you needed. Reason why I asked is for shipping purposes. I'm in Canada and it is a huge PITA to get parts from the US. If it comes UPS, it costs a dick and a nut because of their 'brokerage fee' to get it across the border, and if by snail mail, it takes weeks to get your goodies, hence why I like to order stuff ahead of time

I'll probably order some from the dealership after I check and see what I need. I've weeded out the dealerships in town and there's a toyota/lexus dealership that doesn't seem to think its a big waste of their time selling parts to me for a 19 year old truck like the other ones in town do.

So they get my business for sure. When I decide to replace my DD, they'll be the 1st place I look. Amazing what business a place can drum up with a little customer service.

Did you replace the valve cover gaskets too?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
next time use deathcougar for parts. works for a toyota dealership, and can get many hard to find parts. doesnt screw you over, either. and if theres a change in price, he calls you and makes sure its okay before ordering.
Wrong, He works for Nix99, A Parts recycler, Not a dealership.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 AM

It is always good to support businesses that give you good service, even a dealer! Yes, I just ordered what I needed. Waiting for parts does suck. Even with all of my careful measurement I ended up running a little tight (.007 instead of .008)) but within spec on one cylinder. Sort of wish I had bought one more pack of shims one size smaller when I ordered, so it would have covered the possibility. However, The truck sounds great and while I can hear some lower note taps from the fuel rail the engines annoying ticking is now non existent. Sweet. My valve cover gaskets were an oil leak problem for years. The last set I bought when I changed the HG were Fel Pro perma dry. Big wide mating surface gasket that never leaked a drop. They sure looked good and were still flexible, but considering the hassle to get to them I replaced the set when I did the adjustment. The air plenum gasket was good, but I replaced it too. Compared to letting the dealer do it I'm still waaaay ahead. Cylinder head shops are often a good quick shim source, but my local shop closed.

Last edited by nobrainsd; 08-06-2009 at 07:41 AM.