Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Urgernt - Need a new key!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Urgernt - Need a new key!

My ignition/door lock key was bent pretty good by (ahem) sombody... and now I need a new one ASAP.

I have a toyota original but its bent a little. Can I take it to the stealer and have it copyed?

I read that if you take out your passenger side door lock you can get the code that toyota can use to make a new key, is this true?

Please help guys, I need my key for work tomorrow..
Old 11-02-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take both to a locksmith or hardware store and have them make a copy I had a key break off before and they where still able to make a copy.

Last edited by CyMoN; 11-02-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what about getting the key made and getting a little electric unlocker (ie boop boop). they are like 100 bucks a nice one, i need one, cuz come on dont you hate having to stick the key in, wiggle it almost, and take it out only to have to put it in the ignition again?

save your keys some pain lol.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yet i know that doesnt solve your "immediate" problem, but leave it unlocked while you can?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by infiltrator
yet i know that doesnt solve your "immediate" problem, but leave it unlocked while you can?
lol thats all nice and good if you just want to sit in the truck and pretend you're driving somewhere...
Old 11-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

I have manual locks

Well I was able to find one of my less bent keys, took it to the local key cutting place and got one made.

It aint no original but since the last one I was using was a cheap copy.. getting an oem one is a moot point.

Thanks guys
Old 11-02-2007, 12:17 PM

i recommend this place http://www.toy-lex.com/why.html i lost a 200 dollar(stealership) laser engraved lexus key that had remote unlock and such and got a replacement w/o the wireless for 25 dollars and since your key isnt laser cut or electric it would be a lot cheaper. I got my new key within a week
Old 11-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JUST BRING IT TO THE YOTA STEALER WITH YOUR VIN AND THEY CAN CUT ONE FOR 5 BUCKS THATS WHAT i DID FOR MINE AND MAGICILY ALL THE DOORS LOCKED AND UNLOCKED AT THE SAME TIME AND TEH REAR WINDOW CAN BE RUN FROM OUTSIDE.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

That VIN /dealer thing does'nt always work for the older trucks... I tried at several dealers and they all said they had no record in the computers anymore of what key I had...unless I had the little metal tab with the "pattern number" on it.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aviator
That VIN /dealer thing does'nt always work for the older trucks... I tried at several dealers and they all said they had no record in the computers anymore of what key I had...unless I had the little metal tab with the "pattern number" on it.
HERE THEY TOLD ME MY 1990 WAS THE CUT OFF DATE FOR THE SERVICE SO IF HE HAS A 90 OR NEWER HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT. IF THERES NOT A DEALER THAT WILL DO IT FOR HIM WHERE HE IS I HAVE A FRIEND AT A STEALERSHIP THAT SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT FOR HIM.

AS A JOKE HE TOOK MY VIN CUT HIMSELF A KEY AND KEPT PLAYING THE WINDSHIELD WIPER SUCK IN THE ON POSSITION AFTER I SHUT MY TRUCK OFF FOR A HOUR OR MORE IT WAS FUSTERATING TILL I FIGURED OUT THAT HE WAS MESSING WITH ME FOR A WEEK.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

uh thanks..
Caps lock much?

anyways, I have a key that works fine, I will check out the stealer to see if they can cut me one with my vin. If not, no biggie.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm... I'll check with yota canada to find out what the cut off date is up here harleyman... maybe I've just got a bunch of lazy dealers here...
Old 11-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Shoot, Jay, if your truck's anything like mine, the tumblers are probably stuck so bad you could use a screwdriver.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

I prefer to block that thought from my head, thank you very much
Old 11-02-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was down to my last key, one of the originals, in fact. This thing is barely more than a piece of plated whatever with barely anything that looks like notches. I should post a pic one day.

Anyhow, I went in to one of the local dealers and the parts guy looked at it and said "I'm pretty sure I can punch you a new one". So, he takes out some blanks and a hand punch, punches me a few new keys just by looking at the old one and they all worked perfectly.

Guys like that are hard to find, nowadays.

Try a local dealer. You might be surprised.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:49 PM

If you can't get it from the VIN, then the code is on the lever of the passenger side lock cylinder.

In any case getting a key cut from the code is the best option as it will really work. copied keys just aren't very good.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 PM
BMC

Hmmm... I'll check with yota canada to find out what the cut off date is up here harleyman... maybe I've just got a bunch of lazy dealers here...
I dont believe there is a cut off date to where it will or wont work, or at least im not aware of one. I work at a toyota dealership and have cut many keys, some older ones have the key code information in the computer and and some dont. Ive cut some keys from the mid to late 80's with the code and some dont have any information on them at all. In fact i have even run into some fairly new vehicles with no information in the computer.

As far as getting the code, Like others have mentioned you could take your pass side lock cylinder out and it will be on there.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I have gotten keys cut for an 85 4Runner, 85 ext cab and an 87 4Runner and none were in the computer by VIN, they had to cut them the good old fashioned way. I did get a Toyota blank for about $3 and that is what they used. With the key being really worn they tested the pattern with a cheapo blank and then when they got it right they used the Toyota blank.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I know you can get the code off the Pax door cylinder I just have'nt had tp remove the skin and was being a bit lazy 'bout it... but the skins are coming off this weekend so I'll get the number then and see what the dealer says...
Old 11-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I know you can get the code off the Pax door cylinder I just have'nt had tp remove the skin and was being a bit lazy 'bout it... but the skins are coming off this weekend so I'll get the number then and see what the dealer says...
Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for all the tips guys, I will try the stealer somtime, but im not holding my breath. I got into a nice fight with the manager there once...

Quick Reply: Urgernt - Need a new key!