Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Update to noisy clutch issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Update to noisy clutch issue.

Here was the original post:
I replaced a clutch in my 91' 4 Runner V6 3.0L 4x4 in Feb of 06 due to my wife learning how to drive a manual tranny. I have had no issues until now. I am hoping you fella can help diagnose the problem. When I first heard the "noise", I had just returned from a long road trip of over 50 hours on the highways of western US. The "noise" sounds of metal on metal grinding in combination with a squealing belt sound and only happens when I pushed the clutch [b]in[b]. The next morning, I couldnt get it into gear unless the engine was off. If I started the motor while in first gear and the clutch completely depressed, the "noise" happened and I was able to slowly start driving. I only did this to get it to my buddy's shop. While the motor is on, I cannot push the shifter into any gear and reverse grinds. So, we replaced the throwout bearing because the clutch looked good. (stupidly, we didnt remove the anything to see the clutch plate itself!). At first it seemed to work only to hear a sort of "clang" and again with the same problem. We bled the lines to no avail and even cut a 4"x4" square to see if everything was working properly, of which it seems to. I removed the master and slave cyclinders and there was horrible brown gunk in both of them and brown gunk sludge in the bottom of the master. So, I ordered a master cyclinder rebuild kit and am hoping it will fix my problem.

With the help of the members of Yotatech, some friends and God, here what we did to fix the problem:
First, the clutch disc had a spring out of place due to the pilot bearing malfunctioning. This loose spring made an impression on everything around it. A complete clutch kit was replaced. The candle trick was most useful in extracting the pilot bearing! Thanks Tortis. That we believe cleared up the "noise". However, now my clutch feels almost not there, or atleast with minimal pressure. I did rebuild the master cyclinder, flushed the lines with air, then blead the lines like crazy and adjusted the clutch pedal assembly as high up as I could. So, all in all, it works. I did have to drive it around for a little bit to get use out of first and reverse as they were still not wanting to go into gear, but I am happy with the results since my rig is now back on the road. Thanks to all!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/imag...ies/cheers.gif
Old 09-15-2007, 07:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe the slave cylinder pushrod is not extending far enough or the clutch fork is bent?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shifting fork is nice and straight and strong. As for the slave cyclinder, I tore it apart and cleaned it out. There was bad gunk in the bottom, but other than that, looks to be in good shape now.