86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

unholy sound from engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unholy sound from engine

First post! TIA in advance for your help!

The vehicle: 1993 4runner 3.0l
The story: fuel pressure regulator was ticking for some time and it eventually died and she wouldn't run. In order to get the runner into the garage (slight incline up some fairly large stones) we had to do unspeakable things to the accelerator pedal to, of course get the fuel pressure up, and get the engine running. At which point it would run horribly rough and die almost immediately once we let off the pedal. So, runner finally in garage, I have replaced the regulator and it's alive!! However it is making this horrible rattling sound seemingly from underneath the vehicle.

I have an idea that maybe in our attempt to make it run, when we were digging holes in the pile of stones, wheels turning furiously, we flu a rock into the engine area and now it's resting in the engine skid plate having a grand Ole time dancing around there every time the engine starts up.

OR (gasp!) We may have broken something serious in our mad fury of pedal pumping gear shifting black smoke mixed with unburned fuel pluming extravaganza of getting it into the garage....

So, my question: what could we possibly have broken in all that? Is there some visual checks I can do to rule out deeper investigation?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Pull off the tool catcher look for a rock??

It is quite possible you spun a rod or main bearing.

Has the oil pressure really dropped

The Fuel pressure Regulator only has a diaphragm it really can`t make a ticking sound most times they leak.

The ticking sound very well may have been the start of a bearing failure that has now has gotten much worse.

Just what lead you to thinking the FPR was bad??
Old 01-03-2015, 07:14 AM

The runner ticked like a sewing machine for ages. We held a hose upto the engine and couldn't hear anything coming from there, but when you put your finger on the regulator the ticking was felt there and then heard louder with the hose.
One day I drove to the store shut er down and when I went back out it strayed up but stalled immediately. I could only get it strayed by pumping the gas and then had to keep the rpms over 2000 in order to get it to stay running and get it back home.

If we did indeed spin a rod or main bearing, would the engine still run seemingly smooth? (Because it does) Would this new sound be erratic or a constant? (It seems erratic) What do I need to pull off to visually inspect something like that?
Old 01-03-2015, 07:15 AM

May be a moot point, but with the new regulator it's not ticking anymore....
Old 01-03-2015, 09:08 AM

Four your viewing pleasure.

Watch "1993 4runner rattle" on YouTube
1993 4runner rattle: