Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Two Catalytic converters inline, less polution?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Catalytic converters inline, less polution?

Is it just a crazy idea to use a second catalyitic converter to improve my emissions. I live in Kansas and we have no vehicle inspections, but I would like to make my truck less damaging than it is to our environment.

i am thinking I could put a cat on that is for a much larger engine, behind the stock one and use a free flowing muffler and hardly change the back pressure, while cleaning my exhaust a bit more.

What do you think?
Old 03-23-2006, 05:35 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
well, the question would be how dense is the honeycomb in a cat for a larger engine? Seems like, optimally, you would want the exhaust to go through a larger-size honeycomb and then through a tigher one. Just a basic filtering concept.

But it makes perfect sense that an extra cat inline would improve emissions. You could even find an emissions place somewhere, have them check your NOx and stuff, and then try again with the extra cat. I would be pretty interested in what you find out!!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:46 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doubt it will work. The catalytic converter isn't a filter, it's a chemical reaction that requires a certain temperature and residence time to happen. If you went too big, the cat might not "light off" and do nothing!

If the cat is working properly, they are almost 100% efficient in removing NOx.

Best way to keep it working properly is to make sure you are operating at the right AirFuel mix. Best way to do that is make sure your O2 sensor is operating properly and replace periodically.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:52 PM

Agree with TC...one is enough. The only time I ever really saw 2 cats was when the exhaust is split 2 ways from the engine...so you need 2 cats, obviously...

I don't really get the 2 cats in series thing...
Old 03-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Kudos for trying to save the environment, but think about the resources that went in to manufacturing that extra cat you want to buy, not to mention the diesel truck that probably transported it from some distant warehouse.

Ensuring your rig is in top running condition is the best thing you can do.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Kudos for trying to save the environment, but think about the resources that went in to manufacturing that extra cat you want to buy, not to mention the diesel truck that probably transported it from some distant warehouse.
Ha Ha That has got to be right out of my mouth!
Old 03-24-2006, 10:30 AM

good point on the resources. I actually was thinking of using a second one that came off a camry 6 cyl that is laying in my yard. (camry died) I was hoping to drop my Co2 and/or Carbon Monoxide output. Maybe Cats don't affect that, but I knew that they made the chemical change from the heating the platinum. I don't think getting enough heat would be a problem, most mufflers and tail pipes get plenty hot.
My wifes matrix dumps a lot less, according to EPA web site, into the environs, but our engine arent that much different in size, wish I could improve my emissions beyond the original stock specs.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:22 AM

I do wonder why some comapines put two cats inline from the factory. My 03 4.0 V6 runner has 4 cats, two on each Y pipe.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just wondering how one vehicle's emissions dropping by such a small margin as this idea would create is gonna help anything. Automobiles don't even make up the majority of the greenhouse gas emissions anyways. I think that what you're trying to do is a good thing, but I also think that doing it is a waste of time and resources worth more than anything that the end result could help, thats to say another cat would actually do something. Like it has been stated, If you keep you're vehicle running well and a cat on it, it will put out very very few emmissions even when it gets old.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bob200587
I'm just wondering how one vehicle's emissions dropping by such a small margin as this idea would create is gonna help anything.
He's hoping to start a "lead by example" following. If he does it, then Christian will, then Bob, and Mary, and Paula, and Steve....

Kudos for the want. CA trucks have the dual cats... Dunno that I've seen anything like a side-by-side comparison of a single & dual cat setup looking at emissions levels.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
He's hoping to start a "lead by example" following. If he does it, then Christian will,
Will not!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

I generally agree with the comments made concerning emissions. First of all, having a well tuned vehicle is the best thing. Modifying vehicles is not impossible, but does take great consideration. That said, there is no doubt some very smart, qualified folks worked on the exhaust emissions system for your rig... or any rig for that matter.

I believe the reasons for multiple cats are two fold. One, they would reduce emissions. Two, providing a cat for each bank provides scan data for emissions and diagnostic purposes. If you were to look at a scan tool and see a/f ratio, O2s toggling, etc., then you can isolate say a potential valve train problem, air leak, etc. to one side of the motor. On OBD2 and newer vehicles, your computers use this data to calculate all sorts of good stuff.

I would also suggest that if you are really concerned about emissions, in particular air emissions, there are better ways to reduce your impact. You can think about adding insulation to your house, driving less, car pooling (yeah right!), recycling, planting trees... you get the idea. Did you know 75% of energy production in the US is achieved by burning coal? By reducing your energy bill, you effectively reduce air pollution.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:07 AM

Throwing a curve into the discussion, It apparently takes 250 Gallons of oil to produce one corn fed cow. This is for the fertilizer, transportation, drugs. There is another option for dropping emissions, do (edit, DON"T, oops) eat cows.

Last edited by trythis; 03-26-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK. NO OPEN FLAMES near 'trythis'!!

J/K

Mike in AR
Old 03-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

I don't eat a lot of meat, not for environmental reasons but for my health. But sometimes there's just nothing like a big ol' steak fresh off the grill. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. A little mustard and horseradish sauce... ummmmm. (drooling)