Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

turning problems/smelly smells/ lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile turning problems/smelly smells/ lights

when i go to turn my steering wheel all the way(left and right) i get terrible clunking/grinding noise. could this be my front cv joints?

and two smelly questions
1. when i get on the throttle(3vze) i get a sulfur smell in the truck.
2.when i park i get oil antifreeze and burning belt smells and i have power washed the engine and inspected heavily to see if i have a leak somewhere and no leaks and my levels are staying the same.
Any Ideas???

and a light question
my abs lights comes on and turns off at random times and i have turned the rotors and put new pads/ fluids on as anybody seen or had this problem?(master cylinder shot 30,000 miles ago but it just showed up)

(just replaced alternator, water pump, belts, u joint, and battery if that makes any difference)
any help would be great, nobody in my family knows import
and tell me your opinion is it worth repair or getting a new yota
(94 3vze 5 speed around 180,000 miles guy before had smaller tires on my truck so no idea on exact mileage)

Last edited by Matt94; 12-05-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
The steering noise is all too common with IFS; it's the steering stops on each side. There's suppose to be little plastic caps over the stops, and over the years they break, ware down, and fall appart or off. You can get new caps for a few bucks from a dealership, or just do like most do and dab some grease on them. The grease eventually wears or washes off, so you'll have to reapply it. Personally, I just deal with the racket myself

The sulfer smell, sounds to me like the catylitic is shot (or missing ), and COULD also explain these other smells as well. But that's just my edjumecated guess

ABS light though, I dunno... I don't have ABS, so I've never screwed with it

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 12-05-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe its time to chop that old cat out and let that flowmaster grunt
do you if there is anyway to bypass(write up) the abs computer or whatever its is (im new to this) lol i dont need it to stop in minnesota snow and ice....
Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A sulphurous 'rotten egg' odor is to be expected from an operational catalytic converter when on the throttle; if the fuel is of comparatively low quality or has additives based on, incorporating or otherwised mixed with sulphur, kerosene or diesel fuel; the fuel mixture isn't being adaquately controlled by the ecu; the converter is defective (or new); insufficient air injection from the PAIR system... many reasons can cause it. But for the most part it's caused by sulphur bonding with the catalysts and/or substrate in the converter during routine driving then being released when the converter heats up due to acceleration or other events that cause the converter to get hot, most likely an overly rich mixture when on the throttle.