86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turn signals quit!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn signals quit!!!!

So besides my 94 runner i also have a 94 pick up which I have no turn signals at all. At first i thought it was the flasher but then i figured that the arrows on the dash and out side signals would at least come on with no flash so it cant be that right? it started out as just blowing a fuse now and again so i would just throw a new one in it well i ran out of the correct size on my way down the road so i put a 25 in and something popped besides the fuse this time. it seemed to me as if it happend more when it was raining but not always so i searched for a bare wire but no luck. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas where i can start?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 PM

I had a problem with my signal selector arm on my 91 4Runner just 2 months ago. The problem was when I selected to turn left, it would either come on as normal, not come on at all or come on and it would sound like a buzzer and I had to hold down the arm in order to make it work.
I ended up having to replace the complete assembly on the steering column. Which by the way is a donut shaped ring that also is attached to your windshield wiper arm on the right hand side. You have to remove the steering wheel in order to get to the assembly. There are 4 screws holding it in place and one large male to female connector running down the length of the steering column.

That was my only option to fix the signal selector. I bought the part off of (crap, I just forgot his name, sorry man!) someone that was parting out a 93 4Runner. It's mostly plastic but very durable and easily replaced. I don't know if you have to go through this procedure, it almost sounds like you have either a grounding problem or a live wire some where that is shortening out your fuses.

I hope this helps.

Mike
Old 10-18-2010, 07:14 PM

HUGE mistake throwing a 25 amp fuse on a shorted 10 amp circuit...never EVER replace fuses with a higher amp rating. You melted the circuit somewhere because the fuse could withstand more current than the cabling itself...lucky you didn't catch your truck on fire. Get a good wiring schematic and an ohm meter and start tracing the ground. Start by testing the circuit from the fuse box to the flasher for continuity to ground (if I lost you here, you may not want to do this yourself), then if all is good test from the flasher to the signals. If everything checks out, then check the cabling to the steering column (it's much easier to access the other two sections of cabling first). Be sure to let us know where you found the 'weak' spot in the circuit!

Last edited by BMcEL; 10-18-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:56 PM

i found the problem it was a fried ground which looks like it may be where the problem started as well because of the bare wire that looks like it was showing b4 it burned clear through. thanks guys
Old 10-20-2010, 06:00 PM

Where exactly did the circuit fail?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:15 PM

up under the hood there is a few wires in my truck like right at the firewall that looks like somebody threw in to try to bypass something which i didnt have time to look for. but anyway in that little bundle of wires is where it burned clear threw. im am going to try to find out what perhaps they were tryin to get around with that wiring they did tomorow in the daylight. i dont know if i really want to know what is going on there with those wires but i will try and figure it out haha
Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 PM

That explains it. Let me know if you need a hand...I do have an Oregon class A low voltage electrical license .

Last edited by BMcEL; 10-20-2010 at 06:34 PM.