Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Trying to find the oil leak...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to find the oil leak...

Ok, well first thing first, this is my first post. Anyhoo, my runner is an 89 with a 22re (purple block), 4x4, 5spd, ect... More info if needed.

Now to the problem. I've always had a very slow leak since I got this runner (bout a quart and a half every 3-4 weeks), but about a week ago, my slow leak became a 5 quarts of oil every day or two leak. When I looked under her I could have sworn it was coming from my oil pan gasket (which was a pain and a half to replace. Ended up having to drop my front diff a few inches and poppin off the steering rod so I could remove the doggone oil pan). Anyhoo, I replaced the oil pan gasket and started her up and low and behold, she leaked the same as before.

Now imagine if you would that you are looking at the enigine from the front passenger side. On this side, attatched to the block, about a hand's breadth above the oil pan, and behind the compressor (if i recall correctly), is a seal of some sort (something to do with the timing maybe?) where all the oil is coming from. Now I have no idea of what exactly is causing the leak or the exact name of the seal/gasket from where it is leaking, but I know the general location. I am wondering how hard it would be to replace this gasket or seal or whatever is wrong with it. If I'll have to end up dropping the front diff again so I can get to it or not... Anyhoo, any help would be GREATLY appriciated.

~Clint
Old 09-17-2006, 12:38 PM

Sooo... Any helpfull insight from some of the more engine knowledgeable members?

And if yall need any more information to help me find out what the problem is and whatnot, just let me know.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
so its just coming from the oil pan
Old 09-17-2006, 03:07 PM

Nope. Sorry if I made it sound that way. It's leaking from about 5" above the oil pan on the passenger side of the block (not the exhaust manifold side) more towards the right hand side of the passenger side of the block. Someone mentioned something about a timing gasket seal (or some such thing. only remembered hereing the word timing) and maybe it blew a paper gasket, so if that helps at all...
Old 09-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
could be ether the front main seal or the rear ether way its alot of work
Old 09-17-2006, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwampThing
Ok, well first thing first, this is my first post. Anyhoo, my runner is an 89 with a 22re (purple block), 4x4, 5spd, ect... More info if needed.

Now to the problem. I've always had a very slow leak since I got this runner (bout a quart and a half every 3-4 weeks), but about a week ago, my slow leak became a 5 quarts of oil every day or two leak. When I looked under her I could have sworn it was coming from my oil pan gasket (which was a pain and a half to replace. Ended up having to drop my front diff a few inches and poppin off the steering rod so I could remove the doggone oil pan). Anyhoo, I replaced the oil pan gasket and started her up and low and behold, she leaked the same as before.

Now imagine if you would that you are looking at the enigine from the front passenger side. On this side, attatched to the block, about a hand's breadth above the oil pan, and behind the compressor (if i recall correctly), is a seal of some sort (something to do with the timing maybe?) where all the oil is coming from. Now I have no idea of what exactly is causing the leak or the exact name of the seal/gasket from where it is leaking, but I know the general location. I am wondering how hard it would be to replace this gasket or seal or whatever is wrong with it. If I'll have to end up dropping the front diff again so I can get to it or not... Anyhoo, any help would be GREATLY appriciated.

~Clint
Ill get you pics and names of that seal from the parts guy at work tommorow it might be easier just to take the engine out.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
could be ether the front main seal or the rear ether way its alot of work
Neither of which are on the passenger side of the block.

What relation is the leak to the oil filter? Further back? More toward the front?
Old 09-17-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 86SR522REEFI
Ill get you pics and names of that seal from the parts guy at work tommorow it might be easier just to take the engine out.
Ah thanks, that'd be very helpful. Hopein I aint gotta take the engine out... At most was expecting to drop the diff again. Oh well, well see what happens!
Old 09-17-2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Neither of which are on the passenger side of the block.

What relation is the leak to the oil filter? Further back? More toward the front?
About level with the oil filter, maybe an inch lower, but closer to the front (to the right of the oil filter)
Old 09-17-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
About level with the oil filter, maybe an inch lower, but closer to the front (to the right of the oil filter)
The timing cover seal sounds about right. Do you know if the timing chain guides have been done? Now would be a great time to do that and fix the seal while it's apart.

www.engnbldr.com is a great place for parts.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:32 PM

Yeah that sounds about right. That was the part I heard my bud say when we were lookin at the leak.

Well, the engine was completely rebuilt bout 24k miles ago (are 89' 22re blocks usually painted purple? lol), and I believe they were redone then. I know they haven't been redone since then. Engine runs fantasticly besides the daily wallet draining ritual of buying 5 quarts of Castrol GTX 10w-30 lol...

Now how hard is it to do the timing cover seal (paper gasket right?) and timing chain guides? About on level with having to drop the front diff and steering bar to do my oil pan gasket, or considerably harder?

Thanks for the help so far folks!
Old 09-17-2006, 03:42 PM

See here. I haven't done it personally myself. It can take a while for the first time. If done right, it should last a very long time. I had mine done quite a while ago and have no leaks.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

WABFAB had a neat trick...clean engine with degreaser then spray white foot powder all around where you think leak is then drive it a "little" while and then follow the wet spot!!
I'm hearing that getting a seal there is really hard. Looking at what I need to do this job ie. maybe some kind of primer for gasket sealer? Then you really got to get the area dry,dry,dry with mineral spirits or thinner. Lastly tightning the bolts in a really good way ie. many passes at a cross pattern till final tightness but not so tight as to force out sealant.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

The gasket adhesive for paper gaskets made by edelbrock is an awesome product.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:54 PM

Thanks yall. Definitely gonna be doing some research. I'll probably take pictures along the way to make a "how to" or "how it went" for all yall folks who're wantin to stay abreast of this type of thing. Well, happy trails yall! And feel free to add any links or other tips that you think might be helpfull.

~Clint
Old 09-19-2006, 05:57 AM

Sounds to me like the timing cover gasket. They are a common occurance on these engines. It is kind of a PITA job but only because there are so many bolts and it takes some patiance. I would at least add the steel guide kit from engnbldr.com as already mentioned while you're there. Also, if the engine has 140K+ on it and the chain has never been replaced, now would be a good time to do that as well.

Get a manual and make sure you keep track of where all the bolts go. It is important that they all go back exactly where they came from.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:39 PM

Still aint had a chance to do it yet. Between classes, workin 60's, and physical therapy for my back, there just aint enough hours in the day! Startin to think about just droppin it off at a mech and lettin em screw with it. That way, I can take her out and rip it up if I ever get a day off, instead of piece-mealing it a hour or so every couple of days... I still dunno. How much do mech's usually charge for that type of thing? I did find out though, that the PO replaced the guides and the chain when it was rebuilt about ~22k ago. So there's no need to do those again so soon is there?

On the bright side, my 650r is happy that I'm ridin er again. She was startin to feel lonely sittin there in the garage all by herself. Hah, so I'm a optimist...
Old 11-26-2007, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey there! I am wondering how this ended? What was fixed, did you do it yourself? If not, how much was the bill?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:42 PM

Ive recently ran into the same problem (timing chain cover leak) for those looking at aprice tag on the deal, dealership wants about $1400 (based off of 13hrs of work, they have to go by the book witch is removing the head)

smaller shops around my area want about $900. if you have the time and capability to do it your self, would highly recomend it. will save you the dough! the job isnt that hard just a little time consuming ( about a good portion of the day) just remember to make sure that both the block and timing cover and well cleaned before new gasket set inplace!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:37 PM

I recently had this problem crop up as well, and will probably be tackling it this weekend. The oil was running down the passenger side of the oil pan, so I replaced the oil pan gasket last weekend, no luck, finally discovered the leak coming down the passenger side of the timing chain cover just above the oil pump. 4Crawler has a good write up on his website about changing the timing chain, which can be applied to the timing chain cover.

Quick Reply: Trying to find the oil leak...